Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 1st September 2013

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts
Re: One thing many existing Olympus users expect from the new camera - BIF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
Hi Peter I think you may have misunderstood BIF your have provided pictures of Butterflies in Flowers
John
Drat, didn't think anyone would notice.

I have now corrected my error.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
birdboy (1st September 2013)
Old 1st September 2013

Liked 1,325 Times in 797 Posts

Thanks David, useful info on using an EVF.

David M's Photoblog
Old 2nd September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

I honestly don't know if the new camera that has been promised can do BIF as well as or better than an E-5. I was simply pointing out that this is something that Four Thirds and many Pen/OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers are hoping for. In this light am optimistic that the new camera will be at least as good as an E-5. It's something Olympus is acutely aware so I am sure they would have worked on this area.

I also wanted to highlight the fact that while some other brand DSLRs, like the Canon 7D, are particularly good for this type of photography, many DSLRs aren't; try BIF on a 5D Mark II, for example - the AF system on that camera and many other Canons apart from the very top models are not up to the job. So the contextual point I am making is that while the E-5 is so-so at BIF photography demands it's far from being alone.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
No idea whether this subject was started by Ian to create interest in capabilities that the new camera actually has or to remind me of the frustration I and several others have with the EM5. Which is undoubtedly good for some things but very bad for others.

I cannot believe Olympus has matched the capabilities of other makers in tracking and discriminating focus. All of the deliberate leaks so far have been to try and convince everyone that they shouldn't be unhappy at not getting a new 4/3 camera (despite all of the hints and promises). Rather than about what it can actually do.

To solve the issue of focus tracking they would need to have spent years of development time moving the capabilities of the E5 on a long way (to where many would say it should have been several years ago). They would have been redesigning the whole focus system - which needs to be created with tracking a moving object in mind from scratch. I imagine tracking and prediction is a major challenge especially in a very small body with antishake on the sensor rather than on the lens.

And if they had they would need to be working to create market acceptance from wildlife/bird photographers who are very specific in their photographic needs. In general for wildlife the issue of getting it in focus is a given, rather than the ultimate objective.

...because after you have travelled to a specific location, tracked and found a specific bird/animal/insect, watched for the particular behaviour or actions got into a good shooting position etc ....you don't always have the chance to take a hundred pictures to hopefully get one or two that are sharp. I know that to my cost as do many others.

But I would be surprised if this was high up the list of issues Olympus are truely concerned about. The amount of prime lenses available at 200mm and 300mm speaks volumes.

But not long to wait for the actual facts rather than the hype.
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 2nd September 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

One of the Rumours was 81 focal points for AF thats +30 over the Nikon

so it could be true ...
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 2nd September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
One of the Rumours was 81 focal points for AF thats +30 over the Nikon

so it could be true ...
Chevvy, it's not how many that counts, it's how well they work! I think 80 focus points against 50 focus points is a bit of a red herring.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 2nd September 2013

Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

and 80 focus points only really makes sense for BIF, and other C-AF subjects, if new camera does some form of focus point passing. So as bird moves in frame so the main focus point moves as well.

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to gazza95 For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (2nd September 2013)
Old 2nd September 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Chevvy, it's not how many that counts, it's how well they work! I think 80 focus points against 50 focus points is a bit of a red herring.
Agreed, the E-M5 has 35 focus areas whereas the 7D has only 19 and is a league ahead for BIF. However the reported 81 points may enable the camera to acquire the bird better initially, which the E-M5 has difficulty with - lets hope!

David
Old 2nd September 2013

Liked 895 Times in 408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I honestly don't know if the new camera that has been promised can do BIF as well as or better than an E-5. I was simply pointing out that this is something that Four Thirds and many Pen/OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers are hoping for. In this light am optimistic that the new camera will be at least as good as an E-5. It's something Olympus is acutely aware so I am sure they would have worked on this area.

I also wanted to highlight the fact that while some other brand DSLRs, like the Canon 7D, are particularly good for this type of photography, many DSLRs aren't; try BIF on a 5D Mark II, for example - the AF system on that camera and many other Canons apart from the very top models are not up to the job. So the contextual point I am making is that while the E-5 is so-so at BIF photography demands it's far from being alone.

Ian
It is kind of you to respond.

I am reluctant to change, but also reluctant to re-commit. Like others I have the funds and want to make the best choice I can.

I bought the E3 as a direct result of the launch event which you organised for us and would hope that something similar will happen this time. I would like to try out the new camera with some of my stubborn big lenses (like my bigma and 135-400) and then really weigh up the options.

Both of these lenses have given me their share of joy and annoyances and are not good choices for BiF either. I have always wanted Olympus to deliver a few more long lens choices...but that seems very unlikely now too.

I had thought the Canon 7D mark 2 would be launched on a similar timescale to the E5 replacement but that is now apparently ruled out. And good as it is for BiF the 7D isn't good for all of my needs... and I want to avoid running two systems.

If you have any pointers to where I shoul look then I am listening.

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 2nd September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
It is kind of you to respond.

I am reluctant to change, but also reluctant to re-commit. Like others I have the funds and want to make the best choice I can.

I bought the E3 as a direct result of the launch event which you organised for us and would hope that something similar will happen this time. I would like to try out the new camera with some of my stubborn big lenses (like my bigma and 135-400) and then really weigh up the options.

Both of these lenses have given me their share of joy and annoyances and are not good choices for BiF either. I have always wanted Olympus to deliver a few more long lens choices...but that seems very unlikely now too.

I had thought the Canon 7D mark 2 would be launched on a similar timescale to the E5 replacement but that is now apparently ruled out. And good as it is for BiF the 7D isn't good for all of my needs... and I want to avoid running two systems.

If you have any pointers to where I shoul look then I am listening.
Peter, I think I shall be running two systems - I am over the moon with my E-5 for most of my subjects (just as well as I have two)

But I am now favoring Canon 7D as David M uses and captures his GREAT Bif images and a rather nice 400 piece of SHG (this lens is soo much lighter than the Oly Zuiko 300 or 90-250 - one third of the Oly weight !)

AND Park are offering me 200 Canon cashback off body and lens coincidentally until end of October ... which must be when the new Oly comes into stock

the ONE photo album
Old 2nd September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
Agreed, the E-M5 has 35 focus areas whereas the 7D has only 19 and is a league ahead for BIF. However the reported 81 points may enable the camera to acquire the bird better initially, which the E-M5 has difficulty with - lets hope!

David
I've got my fingers crossed for you David, I really have!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 2nd September 2013

Liked 331 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
I think that I agree with you on this one John. The E5 has only a max of 11 AF points and the 7d 19. I have often wanted more AF points because that what others offer. But if you think about it to get good focusing you need to be close to your subject and that means filling the sensor with as much of the bird (for BIF) as possible. Ideally you will need that focus point tracked on the eye. I mainly use single point AF and may select a point other than the centre point. For BIF / sports action it is the ability of the camera to detect that phase difference using cross type AF sensors, and I would think it works best when it is only considering one point

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
The Following User Says Thank You to birdboy For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
I think that I agree with you on this one John. The E5 has only a max of 11 AF points and the 7d 19. I have often wanted more AF points because that what others offer. But if you think about it to get good focusing you need to be close to your subject and that means filling the sensor with as much of the bird (for BIF) as possible. Ideally you will need that focus point tracked on the eye. I mainly use single point AF and may select a point other than the centre point. For BIF / sports action it is the ability of the camera to detect that phase difference using cross type AF sensors, and I would think it works best when it is only considering one point
I do not disagree - the Nikon have 51 Focus points but I am thinking that the Canon is better at the job with 19 - only the Nikon UG disagree

the ONE photo album
Old 2nd September 2013

The WORST thing about CHANGE is when it is ENFORCED ON YOU !

and i feel that Oly are forcing me to Canon because they are not interested in the Bif market! That may be a fact now and they have given up on that Market Share as it would cost too much to capture a dramatic share to cover all the engineering etc costs to Stock/sales - sensible business plan ...

the ONE photo album
Old 2nd September 2013

Liked 331 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
The WORST thing about CHANGE is when it is ENFORCED ON YOU !

and i feel that Oly are forcing me to Canon because they are not interested in the Bif market! That may be a fact now and they have given up on that Market Share as it would cost too much to capture a dramatic share to cover all the engineering etc costs to Stock/sales - sensible business plan ...
Chevvyf1 do not underestimate the power of the E5 which you have. I understand your frustration which I suspect has more to do with Oly appearing to drop FT users. From what I have seen of your BIF pictures I think you are getting fantastic results. You would have to ask yourself would you get 2,000+ worth of better pictures than the E5. If you have intentions of a business then it becomes a business decision. Those that have the 7D and post great BIF have got great skill also. Part of the fun for me as an enthusiast is to try and use what I have to the best ability. If I had a camera that required no skill to take BIF I would probably lose interest.

Hype does not take good pictures. Don't buy into a system on the word of others. Such expensive conversions requires a measured response.

Here's hoping for FT support.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdboy For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (10th September 2013), Zuiko (2nd September 2013)
Old 2nd September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

Quote:
I've got my fingers crossed for you David, I really have!
You can't really compare PDAF focus points as like for like with contrast detect focus points.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post: