Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 31st August 2013

Liked 331 Times in 159 Posts
Re: One thing many existing Olympus users expect from the new camera - BIF!

For me the solution to BIF is a lens that you can pan comfortably and one with a good enough reach. Originally I was critical of Olympus for not making 300mm + lenses, but after many thousands of binned shots I have come to the conclusion that 200mm (not forgetting that this has an efl of 400mm) is about as manageable as you can use. In the end all the best BIF shots have come about because the photographer got close, its all down to field craft and knowing your subject.

So for me the best test of any new camera will be using the 12-60SWD and 50-200SWD lenses. My E3 worked ok with these the E5 was better now all I need is a body with a very good low light sensor so I could use IS0 6400 to get the faster shutter speeds for BIF at f3.5/5.6. A combo less than 2kgs. I brought into FT because of size/performance. Oly does need to produce a product to challenge Cannon in BIF / sports action field. I remain excited and hope that this is not another Olympus over the top sales statement.

"Thereís something big on the horizon.
A new OLYMPUS flagship camera with interchangeable lenses.
Itís set to herald a whole new world of photography."

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 31st August 2013

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
ahh! Shirley thanks for that ... I wonder how that 75-300 lens is made up ... and if it shall be capable of whizzing more on the new OM-D EM-1 and maybe it can operate on a Telephoto extender ???

Does that 75-300 work at full sharp end (unlike the 70-300 4/3 which worked to 220 max)

Ian ? do you know ?
Chevvy.
Not quite sure what "capable of whizzing more" means but all m4/3 lenses focus faster than their 4/3 predecessors as they have less mass (weight) to be moved by the focus motor.

There are, as yet no m4/3 teleconverters available.

I think you have over simplified comments you have read about the 4/3 70-300mm lens. I don't think anyone said it "only worked to 220mm". Because of the compromises involved in designing a zoom lens all zooms tend to be less sharp at the "long end". I never found the 4/3 70-300 "unusable" at 300mm.

I have been using the 75-300 with the E-M5 for a couple of months now and am delighted with it.

Here's a butterfly shot taken with it at 300mm f8. This is the full (4608X3456 pixel ie. 16 megapixel) frame re-sized for the gallery.

This is the same shot as I posted it in an earlier thread, cropped to 1507 X 1130 pixel ie 1.7 megapixels and re-sized. I would say that's sharp.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (10th September 2013)
Old 1st September 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

One noticeable issue with CDAF cameras is that they have great difficulty in locking focus on a dark bird against a light sky which is strange since the subject is high contrast and the mode is "Contrast detect". PDAF systems have no problems with this type of subject so if the new camera has Hybrid AF then it should be at least as good as the E5 considering advances in sensor technology. Tracking with CAF was not as good with the E5 as it is with the Canon 7D so whether any future offering will improve on this remains to be seen. Perhaps this is an over-simplyfication of the problem but that is how I see it.

David
Chevvyf1 (1st September 2013)
Old 1st September 2013

Liked 895 Times in 408 Posts

No idea whether this subject was started by Ian to create interest in capabilities that the new camera actually has or to remind me of the frustration I and several others have with the EM5. Which is undoubtedly good for some things but very bad for others.

I cannot believe Olympus has matched the capabilities of other makers in tracking and discriminating focus. All of the deliberate leaks so far have been to try and convince everyone that they shouldn't be unhappy at not getting a new 4/3 camera (despite all of the hints and promises). Rather than about what it can actually do.

To solve the issue of focus tracking they would need to have spent years of development time moving the capabilities of the E5 on a long way (to where many would say it should have been several years ago). They would have been redesigning the whole focus system - which needs to be created with tracking a moving object in mind from scratch. I imagine tracking and prediction is a major challenge especially in a very small body with antishake on the sensor rather than on the lens.

And if they had they would need to be working to create market acceptance from wildlife/bird photographers who are very specific in their photographic needs. In general for wildlife the issue of getting it in focus is a given, rather than the ultimate objective.

...because after you have travelled to a specific location, tracked and found a specific bird/animal/insect, watched for the particular behaviour or actions got into a good shooting position etc ....you don't always have the chance to take a hundred pictures to hopefully get one or two that are sharp. I know that to my cost as do many others.

But I would be surprised if this was high up the list of issues Olympus are truely concerned about. The amount of prime lenses available at 200mm and 300mm speaks volumes.

But not long to wait for the actual facts rather than the hype.

You can see some of my things on Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (1st September 2013)
Old 1st September 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
Chevvy.
Not quite sure what "capable of whizzing more" means but all m4/3 lenses focus faster than their 4/3 predecessors as they have less mass (weight) to be moved by the focus motor.

I think you have over simplified comments you have read about the 4/3 70-300mm lens. I don't think anyone said it "only worked to 220mm". Because of the compromises involved in designing a zoom lens all zooms tend to be less sharp at the "long end". I never found the 4/3 70-300 "unusable" at 300mm.

I have been using the 75-300 with the E-M5 for a couple of months now and am delighted with it.

Regards.
Hi Peter, YES I have oversimplified ... I myself and many others have found that the 70-300 was really no capable of keepers at more than 220 - there are many threads on here about that and other forums too

I am very pleased to see your 75-300 m4/3 images - GREAT IMAGES too WoW ! BUT have you tried it with Bif ? if yes I would lurve to see your images

I wonder if the NEW KIT will contain a Tele Con ?
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (1st September 2013)
Old 1st September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
One noticeable issue with CDAF cameras is that they have great difficulty in locking focus on a dark bird against a light sky which is strange since the subject is high contrast and the mode is "Contrast detect". PDAF systems have no problems with this type of subject so if the new camera has Hybrid AF then it should be at least as good as the E5 considering advances in sensor technology. Tracking with CAF was not as good with the E5 as it is with the Canon 7D so whether any future offering will improve on this remains to be seen. Perhaps this is an over-simplyfication of the problem but that is how I see it.

David
David, Hear! Hear ! some of the overtly Techie replies are too mindboggling so I much appreciate your help here

the ONE photo album
Old 1st September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
No idea whether this subject was started by Ian to create interest in capabilities that the new camera actually has or to remind me of the frustration I and several others have with the EM5. Which is undoubtedly good for some things but very bad for others.

I cannot believe Olympus has matched the capabilities of other makers in tracking and discriminating focus. All of the deliberate leaks so far have been to try and convince everyone that they shouldn't be unhappy at not getting a new 4/3 camera (despite all of the hints and promises). Rather than about what it can actually do.

To solve the issue of focus tracking they would need to have spent years of development time moving the capabilities of the E5 on a long way (to where many would say it should have been several years ago). They would have been redesigning the whole focus system - which needs to be created with tracking a moving object in mind from scratch. I imagine tracking and prediction is a major challenge especially in a very small body with antishake on the sensor rather than on the lens.

And if they had they would need to be working to create market acceptance from wildlife/bird photographers who are very specific in their photographic needs. In general for wildlife the issue of getting it in focus is a given, rather than the ultimate objective.

...because after you have travelled to a specific location, tracked and found a specific bird/animal/insect, watched for the particular behavior or actions got into a good shooting position etc ....you don't always have the chance to take a hundred pictures to hopefully get one or two that are sharp. I know that to my cost as do many others.

But I would be surprised if this was high up the list of issues Olympus are truely concerned about. The amount of prime lenses available at 200mm and 300mm speaks volumes.

But not long to wait for the actual facts rather than the hype.

Peter, You and I are sitting on that fence together eh ? maybe our Christmas Prezzies to ourselves shall be ... Oly or *anon*ikon Body & lenses ... it shall be a HUGE JUMP for me ... BUT I have the Budget as I have been waiting for this for years ... and I saved my street money and pub money all in the jar for this ...

We shall of course lose a fortune on our 4/3 lenses but ... thats life if this Oly has not got IT and its not GREAT the derriere shall fall out of the SHG Oly market rapido

the ONE photo album
Old 1st September 2013

Liked 331 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
Chevvy.

Here's a butterfly shot taken with it at 300mm f8. This is the full (4608X3456 pixel ie. 16 megapixel) frame re-sized for the gallery.

This is the same shot as I posted it in an earlier thread, cropped to 1507 X 1130 pixel ie 1.7 megapixels and re-sized. I would say that's sharp.

Regards.
Hi Peter I think you may have misunderstood BIF your have provided pictures of Butterflies in Flowers
John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 1st September 2013

Liked 1,323 Times in 796 Posts

Not having tried an EVF the only issue I can see is if it's good (fast) enough for follow focusing BIF. All my wildlife lenses are MF although I did use my 50-200 and EC14 a couple of times after getting the EC14. My 50-200 is now a landscape lens.

David M's Photoblog
Old 1st September 2013
Floribunda

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-2...making/4922330

Chevvy asked me to post this link here. This has received a lot of press in Oz.
Old 1st September 2013

Thanks Lyn

This article Lyn posted, just proved KIT is critical esp. Focal REACH

I have to say, from what I have read on the two new Pro lenses Oly are to release in Sept with the new Camera ... 150 is nowhere near focal reach for me ... no matter how light

and so I am off to Park this week to view a rather nice *anon and piece of SHG with all the money I had put by for the OM-D EM-5 I pre ordered and let go to someone else ... and the money I have been saving since to my new Bif Kit

the ONE photo album
Old 1st September 2013

Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,450 Posts
Liked 1,448 Times in 925 Posts

For BIF it seems like the rumoured 40-150 is the only lens on the table other than the existing 75-300. Even if you don't shoot wide open will the extra aperture of the former give a speedier focus response?
Old 1st September 2013

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

I think the modernity of any new Olympus lens is likely to give that really quick focus response, regardless of aperture.
The miserly-apertured collapsible kit zooms have very impressive focus speed even in dimly lit currys/PCWorld : as is their intention!
Old 1st September 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Not having tried an EVF the only issue I can see is if it's good (fast) enough for follow focusing BIF. All my wildlife lenses are MF although I did use my 50-200 and EC14 a couple of times after getting the EC14. My 50-200 is now a landscape lens.
The EVF of the EM5 is a pretty poor substitute for an OVF IMO. Even the faster refresh rate doesn't change the problem of the subject appearing as a series of still images when using the H burst rate setting instead of a moving bird. At a lower rate this is made worse by these stills being interspersed by momentary black outs. Fast or slow burst rates on the E5 give almost uninterrupted view of the moving subject, perhaps another reason why mirror less cameras will never cut it with sports/wildlife professionals.

Another unconnected issue is the report (by Ian) some while ago that the diaphragm of the Panasonic 100-300mm did not respond fast enough to keep up with the 9fps of the EM5, I would imagine that this could be an even bigger problem with 4/3 lenses.

David
Old 1st September 2013

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Hi Peter, YES I have oversimplified ... I myself and many others have found that the 70-300 was really no capable of keepers at more than 220 - there are many threads on here about that and other forums too

I am very pleased to see your 75-300 m4/3 images - GREAT IMAGES too WoW ! BUT have you tried it with Bif ? if yes I would lurve to see your images

I wonder if the NEW KIT will contain a Tele Con ?
Hi Chevvy.
I posted the Butterfly shot to address your concern about "sharpness at the long end".

BIF is not a particularly important subject for me photographically as I prefer to watch them "live" as it were and enjoy their flying displays rather than "catching that one special moment".
However on the day I received the 75-300mm I tried it out in a number of different situations one of which was BIF. This shot is the 10th shot taken with the lens and the very first shot I tried of a BIF. This was taken at 300mm/f8 and is the "full frame"

I posted this cropped version on here the same day.

On the basis of this very simplistic test and my limited skills I concluded it would meet my personal needs for BIF. Others may have different needs and opinions.

Re. Teleconverters I seem to recall one of those "Interviews with someone from Olympus" where it was stated that this was possible in the future. I wouldn't hold your breath this time round.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (10th September 2013)