Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 23rd November 2012

Liked 105 Times in 36 Posts
Anyone else got this with their EM-5?

Seen a couple of threads about hairline cracks around the rear LCD, on DPR and Mu-43.com - eg see below:

http://www.mu-43.com/f42/omd-em5-cra...-normal-36685/

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50330633

Then did the silly thing of checking my own camera, and sure enough the bezel around my rear LCD is also cracked by the middle screw - and I treat my kit well so I'm pretty sure it's not me!

Anyone else got the same issue? Given this forum has friendly links with Olympus, I thought that we may be able to get a polite request up the line to see what - if anything - can be done about it.

Cheers,

Jon
The Following User Says Thank You to JonSchick For This Useful Post:
cliff (24th November 2012)
Old 23rd November 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts
Re: Anyone else got this with their EM-5?

Yes, mine too! It's only a hair-line crack and barely noticable - I never would have seen it were I not looking for it, but that's not the point and it doesn't bode well for longevity.

It's a super camera , but I am increasingly having doubts about it's build quality compared to previous Olympus models, especially in view of the price.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 23rd November 2012

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

You got me worried, Jon! However mine is OK. It looks like an over-tightened screw to me.

Andrew (breathing again!)
Old 23rd November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSchick View Post
Seen a couple of threads about hairline cracks around the rear LCD, on DPR and Mu-43.com - eg see below:

Then did the silly thing of checking my own camera, and sure enough the bezel around my rear LCD is also cracked by the middle screw - and I treat my kit well so I'm pretty sure it's not me!

Jon
No cracks on mine (yet - it's very new).

Rens
Old 24th November 2012
Administrator

At least it's on an easily replacable part of the camera. I seem to remember some E-3s suffered from the rear screen coming apart. In general, though, I would trust my E-3 to take more of a battering than the E-M5. However, it must also be remembered that, despite the price and the weather proofing, the E-M5 is not a pro spec camera. I wonder if a tiny spot of superglue would save an inconvenient return to Olympus? I once had to perform some superglue surgery to my Bronica ETRSi, so it's not an uncommon problem.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th November 2012

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Sorry to hear you have the fault Jon and John, I must admit it doesn't inspire confidence this sort of thing.
I've had problems with a couple of E-M5 bodies that were kindly dealt with by SRS in their usual efficient manner

I've just checked mine and it appears to be OK although my eyesight at shorter focal lengths is not as good as it once was

I'm sure Oly UK will step up and do the right thing. I shall be following this thread with interest.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 24th November 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Mine seems OK so far and I use it every day. I must admit though that the screen does look a pretty flimsy affair and other aspects of the camera are also showing wear long before I expected. If I do get a crack and it has to go back, leaving without a camera for landscapes and macro then it will be curtains for Olympus as far as I am concerned. While I love most (but not all) of what the camera does I don't like the way it does it.

David
Old 24th November 2012

Liked 105 Times in 36 Posts
Yes - build quality is not giving me confidence: light years from my GF-1, E-1 and Pentax bodies, all of which were much more robust. The EM-5 seems to be more of an Alfa Romeo than an Audi... But Alfa's are a fun drive.
Old 24th November 2012

Liked 1,341 Times in 507 Posts

Hmm. Yes, I'm staring at the Crack of Doom too...

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 24th November 2012

Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,046 Posts
Liked 2,199 Times in 1,168 Posts

Yes, it is happening to mine too, but I'm not worried about it. It is interesting when looking at the back of it, that the edge does not crack but the front face does.

John, don't use super glue unless it isn't under any warranty cover, because the chances of keeping the glue to just the crack can easily be blown & then there will be a smear of glue on the frame. I wonder if Olympus will come up with a fix similar to the E3 screen situation & replace the cover (free) if it goes in for a service.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 24th November 2012

Thanked 1,439 Times in 1,329 Posts
Liked 2,424 Times in 1,146 Posts

Sounds like a typical cost reduction exercise on the plastic that's caught them out through variation in screw tightening on the build line. Seems to me that as is too often the case these days the first buyers are being used as development testers so Oly should instigate a free repair service. It will cost them a bit but nothing when compared to the retention of their good name and the profits they will have made on the original cameras. If they react quickly and positively to this it will gain them a lot in customer confidence for the future especially with the buyers who switched from other systems for the EM-5.
Old 24th November 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Having looked more closely at mine it would appear to me that the LCD housing is metal as it is too thin in places to be plastic. If this is the case it is more than likely to be a design flaw which will not be cured by just a replacement? In addition as this is a weatherproof camera isn't this a place where any ingress of moisture would have more than just a cosmetic effect?

Oh dear!

David
Old 24th November 2012

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

I suspect Olympus are already aware of this fault, they have many demo cameras in the field at exhibitions etc so it must have been picked up. It shouldn't be a surprise to them.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 24th November 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Yes, it is happening to mine too, but I'm not worried about it. It is interesting when looking at the back of it, that the edge does not crack but the front face does.

John, don't use super glue unless it isn't under any warranty cover, because the chances of keeping the glue to just the crack can easily be blown & then there will be a smear of glue on the frame. I wonder if Olympus will come up with a fix similar to the E3 screen situation & replace the cover (free) if it goes in for a service.
Ross, that's exactly how the crack on my camera looks.

Maybe superglue isn't such a good idea, but it would avoid the inconvenience of returning the camera to Olympus.

Old 24th November 2012

Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,046 Posts
Liked 2,199 Times in 1,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Ross, that's exactly how the crack on my camera looks.

Maybe superglue isn't such a good idea, but it would avoid the inconvenience of returning the camera to Olympus.
Actually, I wasn't too serious about the 'no glue' bit, but I know how I've mangaged to smear it when I particularly tried not to.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).