Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 5th November 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts
Re: Not impress yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooky007 View Post
I wonder if it the lens I have that poor????? Am using the 12-50 kit lens
A poor lens could cause all kinds of image quality problems but would not affect noise.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th November 2012

Liked 311 Times in 149 Posts

The 12-50mm is an excellent lens.

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 5th November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Zuiko do you not shoot raw? What editing software your using?

I have just turned off NR for the jPeg and it looks like a little improvement so the NR in the camera seems a nit naff?
Old 5th November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomphotofx View Post
The 12-50mm is an excellent lens.

Tom
Yes it does a VERY good job at Macro I not had a problem with it doing that sort of thing...

My only gripe is ISO noise at the moment... I Know low light indoor is a bit of a struggle with this lens that why I am waiting for my Free lens to arrive. As it to take pictures of the 3 years old so need fast shutter to take clear non blurred images
Old 5th November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tom do you shoot raw or jpeg also any tips from you please
Old 5th November 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Zuiko I gather you shoot your photos in Jpeg rather than Raw and you have NR Turned off anything else you like me to know please as that image is a cracker
I often shoot raw actually, but that shot was a JPEG because I'd just got the camera and I hadn't upgraded my software (Adobe Elements) to support E-M5 raws at that stage.

When I shoot JPEGs I have noise filter off (prefer to use Dfine 2 if needed), contrast 0, sharpness minus 2 (prefer to sharpen in post processing), picture mode natural, gradation normal.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th November 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Zuiko do you not shoot raw? What editing software your using?

I have just turned off NR for the jPeg and it looks like a little improvement so the NR in the camera seems a nit naff?
Noise Reduction or Noise Filter? These sound similar but are two different things.

Old 5th November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I often shoot raw actually, but that shot was a JPEG because I'd just got the camera and I hadn't upgraded my software (Adobe Elements) to support E-M5 raws at that stage.

When I shoot JPEGs I have noise filter off (prefer to use Dfine 2 if needed), contrast 0, sharpness minus 2 (prefer to sharpen in post processing), picture mode natural, gradation normal.
I know Raw images have more noise but should there be that much noise? Define I do have with aperture do you just open define let it do it work and apply?

I am Hard Of hearing so not been able to watch the video on how to use it properly
Old 5th November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Noise Reduction or Noise Filter? These sound similar but are two different things.
They are both off
Old 5th November 2012
Administrator

Quote:
I know Raw images have more noise but should there be that much noise? Define I do have with aperture do you just open define let it do it work and apply?

I am Hard Of hearing so not been able to watch the video on how to use it properly
There shouldn't be much more noise with raw, if the noise filter is turned to Off for JPEGs, but depending upon the camera a nominal amount of noise filtering may still be taking place even when set to off.

I rarely just let Dfine do the work, at the very least I will adjust the colour and luminence sliders up or down while I check the effect in preview. However, one of the great features of Dfine is the ability to set control points to vary the treatment given to key areas of the image, rather than just make a global reduction.

However, with the E-M5 you shouldn't be needing noise filtering at ISO 4000.

Old 5th November 2012

Liked 1,684 Times in 1,084 Posts

It seems to me that as you're considering a FF Nikon D600 and believe it's more suited to your needs, you ought to just go for it!

Jim
Old 5th November 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
It seems to me that as you're considering a FF Nikon D600 and believe it's more suited to your needs, you ought to just go for it!

Jim
A bit unfair, Jim!

I think Rooky is struggling to get to grips with the E-M5 but really wants to make a go of it. It's capable of great results but is quite a complex camera to master - as I'm sure the D600 is, too!

Old 5th November 2012

Liked 311 Times in 149 Posts

Quote:
I love to have my ISO as low as possible but recently I had to use 3200 even 5000 to get the shutter speed to take images of my daughter who wiggles so need fast shutter to get sharp images not blurred

Ive also got aperture the Noise Reduction in aperture is POOR
Going back to this post it seems to me that Flash would be your best solution to capture a child running around indoors, use bounce flash or use something like the Gary Fong Lightsphere. You'll be a lot happier than what you are now with the results.

Just a thought, if one method isn't working try another.

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 6th November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
A bit unfair, Jim!

I think Rooky is struggling to get to grips with the E-M5 but really wants to make a go of it. It's capable of great results but is quite a complex camera to master - as I'm sure the D600 is, too!
Yes that correct I am really wanting to get this to work I've sold my big gear was too much to carry around so was not using as much. So I really want get the omd to do it job..

I know using flash should have but have read many people saying high iso on this camera is great this to me has not approved yet but have alter some settings for jpeg. I rather shoot raw so all these setting don't take effect. My raw pictures were awful too the brick sample above was raw
Old 6th November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
There shouldn't be much more noise with raw, if the noise filter is turned to Off for JPEGs, but depending upon the camera a nominal amount of noise filtering may still be taking place even when set to off.

I rarely just let Dfine do the work, at the very least I will adjust the colour and luminence sliders up or down while I check the effect in preview. However, one of the great features of Dfine is the ability to set control points to vary the treatment given to key areas of the image, rather than just make a global reduction.

However, with the E-M5 you shouldn't be needing noise filtering at ISO 4000.
Then something might be wrong raw images at 4000 or noticeable