Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 4th December 2007

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts
FL50 and E3 and Illuminator lamp on flash

The E3 can use the built in flash gun as a focus illuminator

However if the FL50 is on the camera the built in flash cannot be raised.

I have tried to use the built in illuminator on the FL50 (the red light) to assist focus, however the red light is lit for a very short period - too short to get focus even with the 12 to 60 lens on the E3.

On the E1 the FL50 illuminator light stays on for quite a while helping the lens to get focus.

I spoke to the tech help line on this and they claim that the length of time the illuminator light is lit is a function of the lens focussing speed - on the 14-54 it stays on a long time, 12 to 60 a short time. The call got disconnected and I have not being able to get back to them.

I cannot detect any difference in length of illumination unless I use the E1.

The illuminator on the FL50 does not improve the camera focussing when using the E3.

Please can you try out the E3 and FL50 and check to see how long and how useful the Illuminator light is on the FL50.

Thanks for any comments.
Old 4th December 2007
emirpprime

Re: FL50 and E3 and Illuminator lamp on flash

I don't have the FL-50 im afriad, but on my FL-36, its about 2.5-3 seconds. The focus really seems to happen after the light goes off strangely, if I just hold my finger down half pressed on the shutter, the light comes on, then goes off, then lens wirs, then I get a focus comfirmation beep. The process is quicker sometimes, and I am testing this at close range which isn't ideal as the focus assist beam isn't fully in frame.
All the best,
Phil
Old 4th December 2007

Now that it is dark I have carried out a few more tests comparing the E1 with the 14 54 and the E3 with the 12 60 and both using the FL50 with ILL - A

In a very dark room at a distance of 15 feet or so (4.5 m) the E1 and FL50 could get focus and get sharp images

the E3 and FL50 could not.

So unless something is changed in the firmware do not go out to the night time incidents with the E3 and FL50, take your E1.
Old 4th December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting this. I have totally the opposite experience. Completely dark room, E3 + 12-60 + FL50 = instant focus and sharp.

Mike
Old 4th December 2007

Mike

How long was the Illuminator light lit for and how many focusing points were you using - I was using the central one only
Old 4th December 2007
emirpprime

Sorry if it is a silly question Derek, but what is the target like? I found that the 2.5-3 seconds the assist lamp is on on my FL-36 doesn't vary wether or not the camera locks focus in that time or not. I found that if the target was too low contrast (a black grill on a black speaker), it would hunt, and not aquire focus, but then allow the shutter to be released. Moving it slightly so the centre focus point was over a small white badge (even though I couldn't see it through the viewfinder) caused the camera to lock focus just after the AF assist lamp went off, and give me the audible beep.
What this rambling is trying to say is, perhaps the target was too low contrast to be usable unless lit with white light. Did you try focussing on something contrasty?

Hope you get it sorted,
Phil
Old 4th December 2007

I was shooting in the kitchen so there was typical kitchen utensils on the work top to focus on, kettle, taps, pots etc

The red light was very difficult to see it just flashed very briefly on the E3, on the E1 the red light was on for much longer allowing the lens to get focus.

My FL50 is about 3.5 years old and has not had a firmware upgrade - I will check to see if it needs upgrading tomorrow
Old 4th December 2007

Solved the problem

The performance I was seeing was when the focussing was set to AFC, I then set it to AF and the illuminator light stays lit until focus is obtained.

Apologies for the thread - but some one might find the information useful.
Old 4th December 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Now that it is dark I have carried out a few more tests comparing the E1 with the 14 54 and the E3 with the 12 60 and both using the FL50 with ILL - A

In a very dark room at a distance of 15 feet or so (4.5 m) the E1 and FL50 could get focus and get sharp images

the E3 and FL50 could not.

So unless something is changed in the firmware do not go out to the night time incidents with the E3 and FL50, take your E1.
My experience isn't the same as yours, Derek. Focusing on a blank wall with only a dim lamp on in the opposite corner of the room the FL-50 enables the E-3 and 12-60 top focus accurately. If I cover the FL-50's focus assist lamps, the camera can't find focus.

Now, I have my camera set to fire even if focus is not locked. But I half pressed the shutter release to find focus.

If your camera is set the same way, with Release Priority on, it's possible that the camera fired before the focus was found. Try half depressing the release for about a second before fully releasing the shutter.

Just a theory.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 5th December 2007
emirpprime

Glad you sorted it
Old 5th December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Mike

How long was the Illuminator light lit for and how many focusing points were you using - I was using the central one only
The FL50's illuminator was lit for about 1 second only and I was using the central point only. It just took the shot no arguments or hesitation.

Mike