Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 17th September 2012
Four Thirds User

Arrow Photokina 2012: Olympus announces the new PEN Lite (or E-PL5) and new PEN mini (E-PM2)

Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com) is a sibling site to the e-group.

PEN with O-MD quality. Fast and sharp. O-MD technology puts PEN Lite & mini top of the class Plus new £99 40-150 Zoom kit kit offer.

More...
Old 17th September 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Re: Photokina 2012: Olympus announces the new PEN Lite (or E-PL5) and new PEN mini (E-PM2)

Old e-pM1 looked a lot nicer than the new e-pM2,
e-pL5 could do with a pop-up flash,
e-P5 could do with existing.

But now £500 is the cheapest way to get the new sensor, which is reasonable I guess.
Old 17th September 2012

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Re: Photokina 2012: Olympus announces the new PEN Lite (or E-PL5) and new PEN mini (E-PM2)

Might be £500 for the camera but lets not forget the £200 plus for the viewfinder to go with it!!

Think I'll give this one a miss.

Sid
Old 17th September 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

My £170 viewfinder got good use across a few bodies and two photographers yesterday, so for me it's paid for itself already ...

Is everyone commenting somewhere else?
Old 17th September 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
My £170 viewfinder got good use across a few bodies and two photographers yesterday, so for me it's paid for itself already ...

Is everyone commenting somewhere else?
They don't seem to be creating much of a stir, do they?

I think it is significant, in view of the Sony capital investment in Olympus, that Olympus can suddenly put the state of the art Sony sensor in all it's new models. It does seem that perhaps Olympus never wanted to stick at 12mp, as was reported a while ago, but were maybe denied access to the best Panasonic sensors. Now Sony have a vested interest in Olympus, it wouldn't surprise me to see the E-Px line (which appears to have beem dropped) re-instated in the not too distant future with a built-in "rangefinder" style EVF a' la NEX7.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th September 2012

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have looked around on the web, and I'm not seeing very much interest in the new Pens. The Panasonic GH3 seems to be more of a topic of discussion.
Old 18th September 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in NC View Post
I have looked around on the web, and I'm not seeing very much interest in the new Pens. The Panasonic GH3 seems to be more of a topic of discussion.
Well it will be, it's a new top-of-the range flagship model with a new pro-spec not previously available in MFT (arguably the E-M5 is pro-spec but Olympus say it isn't). When the majority realize they can't afford it they'll stop drooling and come to look at the Pens.

Guess what will be the main topic of conversation for a while when the pro OM-D is finally released!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th September 2012

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Well the new E-PL5 is on my shopping list, with a form I have come to love and the same image quality as the E-M5 at half the price ( I already have a VF) it's a no brainer.

As to the GH3 which is now looking as big as a small DSLR I'll pass, as now when I go out I tend to pick up the Pen nine times out of ten rather than my Pentax DSLR.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 18th September 2012

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Blimey a quick announcement as I thought it only kicked off today.
Hope they hurry up announcing this......

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22378

Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Old 18th September 2012

Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post
As to the GH3 which is now looking as big as a small DSLR I'll pass, as now when I go out I tend to pick up the Pen nine times out of ten rather than my Pentax DSLR.
I saw someone mention that it's about the same size as an E510 which isn't exactly huge... personally I think it's nice that we have another option besides 'smaller is everything'.
Old 18th September 2012

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

E-510 - dimensions (mm, W/H/D) 136 x 92 x 77. weight 535 grams inc battery
GH3__- dimensions (mm, W/H/D) 133 x 92 x 82. weight 550 grams inc. battery

Not much difference and I do like the dimensions and weight of my E-510.

Given that the GH3 appears to be as weather sealed as the E-M5, depending on jpeg quality OOC this could be a contender for me as well.

Sid
Old 18th September 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,755 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
Old e-pM1 looked a lot nicer than the new e-pM2,
e-pL5 could do with a pop-up flash,
e-P5 could do with existing.

But now £500 is the cheapest way to get the new sensor, which is reasonable I guess.
I personally prefer the E-PM2 to the E-PM1 in terms of styling - I think it's down to seeing the camera in reality rather than in photos.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 18th September 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,755 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post
Well the new E-PL5 is on my shopping list, with a form I have come to love and the same image quality as the E-M5 at half the price ( I already have a VF) it's a no brainer.

The GH3 is actually smaller than it looks in pictures but is is larger than a GH2. The grip is a better shape - at least for me and there is a plethora of controls. The OLED viewfinder is a major improvement. Ahem, I expect it may have similar, ahem!, image quality to the E-M5, ahem!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 18th September 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Although I am sure it will perform well with still photography, I believe video is where its at with the GH3