Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 17th August 2012

Liked 1,336 Times in 506 Posts
Re: Battery life observed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
hello Pete....I googled for the web site for the X Pro battery charger...couldn't come up with. If you have the address I would appreciate if you would send it to me.....docholiday@sympatico.ca

Greeting sir. I hope you are well

I found it on Amazon, I searched their web site using Olympus and BLN-1 and X-pro. Over here they sell various options, I went for the charger with 1 battery plus a second battery..

All the best

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 17th August 2012

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts

I don't know if folks in the UK can get them cheaply, but I've been using "Wasabi" chargers from China (advertised as using Japanese cells), sold through bluenook.com. I noticed they have a BLN-1 unit (I've only used BLS and BLM). I can't say their products are better than anyone else's, but the chargers do come with a DC input as well as the regular AC plug. I've just returned from two weeks in the mountains using a 5 watt thin-film solar panel to drive the charger this way, was able to get 3000 shots or so and lots of LCD review (e-620) using mostly just two batteries (cloudy weather forced me to use a third battery). The charger, wires and panel weigh under eleven ounces. From dead (7.2v) to full (8.4v) takes about four or five hours, but I rarely drained a battery, just kept topping the low one off. It felt sort of miraculous to not have to worry about the batteries anymore.
Old 17th August 2012

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Greeting sir. I hope you are well

I found it on Amazon, I searched their web site using Olympus and BLN-1 and X-pro. Over here they sell various options, I went for the charger with 1 battery plus a second battery..

All the best

Pete
Thanks Pete!!
Old 18th August 2012

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

A session on Friday yielded over 450 shots on an OEM battery, switching off when not in use, using EVF only but with a reasonable amount of chimping. Shooting in SAF mode with IS1 / 2 and 6fps, RAW only. There was still no sign of the orange battery symbol showing when I finished
Old 18th August 2012

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
A session on Friday yielded over 450 shots on an OEM battery, switching off when not in use, using EVF only but with a reasonable amount of chimping. Shooting in SAF mode with IS1 / 2 and 6fps, RAW only. There was still no sign of the orange battery symbol showing when I finished

Out of interest you mention 6 FPS,what were you shooting and was it in batches of lots of frames?
I am mainly a walk round shooter and get about 120-140 frames per charge like a lot of others here.This using the EVF only ,no rec view,and very little chimping but with I/S on mainly.

Thanks.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to andym For This Useful Post:
snaarman (18th August 2012)
Old 18th August 2012

I was shooting people wakeboarding in burst of up to 6 shots but mostly 2 or 3 at a time.
It was primarily the grand-children I was shooting so there would be gaps in the action when I would switch off (after chimping to remove any obvious dross shots)
I wasn't particularly trying to conserve the battery and only found how many shots I taken when I downloaded to LR4.
I started with a fresh battery at the beginning of the session (having used up another OEM battery the day before, shooting the kids and the dog haring about their garden )
Old 18th August 2012

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Thanks for that.

Still trying to get my head around why a few people seem to get lots of shots but most of us only get just over a hundred.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 18th August 2012

it is strange Andy, I see all sorts of figures quoted and don't think I have my camera set up in any special way to conserve energy (except as described above).
I typically get around 300 / charge with the two ExPro batteries I have and 350 - 400 with the 2 Olympus batteries.
Its fairly consistent over a wide range of activities (I get the impression that maybe Macro work consumes the most power, must check it properly when I remember)
Old 19th August 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In typical use, pretending I am using film, I don't get more than around 100 at the moment. This means no burst and careful chimping after every shot to check the focus. With DSLRs I got a little more as of course the actual framing did not require the camera to be switched on which certainly helps as I can sometimes spend quite some time looking for a suitable composition before taking a shot.

Once I'm fairly confident about the focussing and IBIS (which mainly applies to longer teleshots as there are very rarely problems up to say 100mm) then the rate will start to climb a bit. I'm expecting to have my E-M5 longer than any other digital ILC to date as the overall quality no longer leaves anything significant to be desired and it's time i got to master a camera properly-- quite likely over 3 years as I guess I'll be looking at skipping a generation this time and perhaps getting either second hand two generations on or new towards the end of its run.

David

Old 19th August 2012

Liked 1,323 Times in 796 Posts

This thread makes me wonder if Olympus have tried to hard to make the OM-D a successor to the OM4. Some early OM4's would drain batteries, 5 minutes to kill a fresh set with a T series flash mounted and switched on being my record.

David M's Photoblog
Old 22nd August 2012

Well, I am the proud owner of two freshly charged Ex-Pro batteries that I can threaten the Olympus batteries with.

I've also turned IS off and switched to raw only. Meanwhile I am trying to maintain my usual shooting method to see what if anything affects the battery life.

Pete

Old 23rd August 2012

another shoot with mixed 6fps / single shot SAF work. 300+ frames and returned with the battery still showing full charge symbol (OEM battery)

It seems to fairly consistent in this performance with this type of shooting for me - (EVF only, turning off when not actively in use, a reasonable amount of chimping to check exposures etc, IS1 / 2 stabilisation, little time spent setting up the shots, camera up, half-press to focus, shoot)
Old 28th August 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
another shoot with mixed 6fps / single shot SAF work. 300+ frames and returned with the battery still showing full charge symbol (OEM battery)

It seems to fairly consistent in this performance with this type of shooting for me - (EVF only, turning off when not actively in use, a reasonable amount of chimping to check exposures etc, IS1 / 2 stabilisation, little time spent setting up the shots, camera up, half-press to focus, shoot)
No. I can't get anywhere near that, but I do work with single shot only. The latest cycle is up from 140 to about 200 shots because I've avoided IS for most of those.

I am developing the theory that selecting "IS on 1/2 shutter press" mode might be responsible for hammering the battery. So, I've made myself some presets, each with increasing "petrol consumption".

Preset1 = no IS.
Preset2 = IS on full shutter press only.
Preset3 = IS on 1/2 press.
Preset4 = Manual focus, focus magnify on Fn button and IS on half press

Pete

Old 28th August 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you use the EVF only and it's in eye-snsor mode - remember the sensor works on reflected IR and so if the EVF faces a light shirt it will turn on!

I got terrible performance today with IS on at shutter half-press, a lot of chimping, and driving a 4/3 Bigma through the panasonic mft-4/3 adapter.
On the other hand I got over 400 shots at Laguna Seca in burst mode, it's the amount of time the camera is in operation I suspect, not the number of images.
snaarman (29th August 2012)
Old 29th August 2012

Quote:
it's the amount of time the camera is in operation I suspect, not the number of images.
that seems to make sense, the battery capacity is quoted as1220 mAh so power drain will be a function of the time it is being used and the current flowing.

If you keep camera set in the way then drain will be a direct function of time of use whereas using different settings (as Pete showed) will increase or decrease the power consumption and available time of use / number of shots accordingly