Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 17th July 2012

Liked 1,323 Times in 796 Posts
Re: Olympus, a shot in the foot?

Hopefully the Canon will accept legacy glass, otherwise you"re forced to use Canon lenses.

David M's Photoblog
Old 17th July 2012

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Hello Cathrine,

Angry...nah I couldn't tell
That Sparrow (in my post above) was taken with the Panasonic 100-300 at distance of around 8 or 9 metres (bit of a guess).

Here are a couple taken with my now departed 50-200, EC-14 together with the E-M5
Now, these are taken with a combination of lenses that interest me!

I guess the best would be to get hold of someone who has the OMD and try it out on my lenses and my photographic habits. Or I could call Oly and ask if they would lend me one to try. In a couple of days I'll be getting the adaptor, so I will be trying out the E-PL3 with a few 4/3 lenses. Possibly just some slow work (as I keep getting my fingers on the wrong buttons ) but it will be quite fun to see it on the 300 2.8! Just for fun, but it would also give me an idea of what the E-PL3 could do with better lenses.

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 18th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Hopefully the Canon will accept legacy glass, otherwise you"re forced to use Canon lenses.
The rumours are saying it may have a new mount to accept smaller lenses but will also come with an adaptor for existing lenses.

Will have to wait until the announcement on Monday to see exactly what it will be and if they will be going after the high end OMD CSC market
Old 18th July 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Well, this thread certainly drummed a few replies! Just to re-iterate I did say I liked the camera and despite it's restrictive physical size dictating less buttons compared with the E5 I do find it excellent for landscape, architectural and street photography so I won't be selling it. As to the AF and IS performance, I could well publish a few comparison images I have to compare with the E5, but to be honest the tests weren't very scientific and anyhow I would rather be out taking photographs. On the lens issue I can't find any info on Olympus website that any Oly MFT lenses of note are weatherproof, although I understand that some Lumix ones may be, but it's not Panasonic that this thread was about. So where are the Olympus MFT lenses that can match the FT 300mm f2.8 or even the 50-200mm SWD? The Olympus MFT telephotos in this region tend to be rather slow, (Unsuitable for any Teleconverters IF they were available) and non-weatherproof if the Olympus website is to be believed. So as I have said, I think this is an amazing little camera, but it could have been so much better and to think of the latest high tech. creation from Olympus as having restricted use and should only be purchased for certain types of photography is a rather strange approach.

So for now my set-up will be:

a. Walking the dog - E-M5 plus Leica 14-150mm or if there is a likelihood of wildlife with the 75-300mm.

b. Landscapes etc. - E-M5 plus Leica 14-150mm or ED 7-14mm

c. Wildlife macro - E-M5 plus 14-150mm plus Opteka HD macro or EX 25

d. Walk-about birding - E5 plus 50-200mm plus EC14

e. Serous birding from a hide or tripod - E5 plus 300mm f2.8 plus EC14.

Finally, how did Canon mirrorless developments muscle-in on my thread? I only mentioned the 7D!

Regards

David
Old 18th July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I perfectly agree with you David - there is a dearth of long lenses for this format - yet. But remember it is an evolving format, still quite young, and Olympus in particular cannot afford to develop everything at once.

Hopefully in the future there will be a better availability of longer, and weather resistant, lenses.

But for now, for me at least, the E-M5 is just about as perfect as I want, even the battery life is good enough for me.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 18th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Panasonic G5 was announced this morning. It will have an RRP of £599 and it seems to have been brought up to the spec of the GH2 leaving the pending GH3 to introduce any new features or tech.

There is an interesting hands-on comparison between the new G5 and the OMD here, including image samples and side-by-side images of the bodies:

ePhotozine: Lumix G5 vs OMD-E-M5
Old 18th July 2012

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy View Post
The Panasonic G5 was announced this morning. It will have an RRP of £599 and it seems to have been brought up to the spec of the GH2 leaving the pending GH3 to introduce any new features or tech.

There is an interesting hands-on comparison between the new G5 and the OMD here, including image samples and side-by-side images of the bodies:

ePhotozine: Lumix G5 vs OMD-E-M5
Surprisingly it doesn't seem to be sealed like the E-M5. (Surprising because the new Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 lens is, and the expectation was that Panasonic were intending it to be used on the new Panasonic body.) Perhaps that will now be the next GHx rather than the G5?

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 18th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
Surprisingly it doesn't seem to be sealed like the E-M5. (Surprising because the new Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 lens is, and the expectation was that Panasonic were intending it to be used on the new Panasonic body.) Perhaps that will now be the next GHx rather than the G5?
Yes, I suspect the new GHx will have any new features in order to keep it as the premium G series body.

The G5 is not bad if it matches the GH2 features and performance in the real world as it will be a little cheaper and a smaller body
Old 19th July 2012

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts

The G5 sounds like a nice little camera but even if the performances are comparable (which is not yet certain), there are a couple of reasons why I would choose the OM-D over the G5 despite the significant price difference.

The most obvious one is styling; apart from its smaller size, the G5 looks like "any other camera". No soul. The OM-D not only has the retro look that gives it a unique character, but it resembles the OM series SLRs of the past, probably the best looking cameras of their day.

The next is pedigree. Panasonic are a great manufacturing company but it does not have quite the same tradition in still cameras as Olympus do.
Old 19th July 2012

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

If Panasonic performance equals that of Olympus then styling is the USP for Olympus and it comes at a premium.
Similarly in cycling there are many bike frames of comparable spec - but the italian manufacturers can still command a premium even though most are made in China alongside cheaper makes.
But now that Olympus is using Sony sensors and has a tie up with them I think it likely that Olympus will keep ahead performance wise. it will be interesting to see what Canon comes up with next week. I wonder if there will be a DX mark review....
Old 19th July 2012

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvickers View Post
But now that Olympus is using Sony sensors and has a tie up with them I think it likely that Olympus will keep ahead performance wise.
Interesting the you mentioned Sony because it reminded me of something that happened today during a large family/relatives gathering to celeberate my Father-in-Law's 90th birthday.

One of the guests was going around with a Sony Alpha SLT-A77, one of the only two cameras with interchangeable lenses in the relatives' group - the other being my OM-D of course. My OM-D got a lot of curious glances and questions but hardly anyone bothered about the SLT, at least equally good in performance. It proves that it is not just an ego thing (I admit that ego is there as well ) but character and styling do matter.
Old 19th July 2012

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
The G5 sounds like a nice little camera but even if the performances are comparable (which is not yet certain), there are a couple of reasons why I would choose the OM-D over the G5 despite the significant price difference.

The most obvious one is styling; apart from its smaller size, the G5 looks like "any other camera". No soul. The OM-D not only has the retro look that gives it a unique character, but it resembles the OM series SLRs of the past, probably the best looking cameras of their day.

The next is pedigree. Panasonic are a great manufacturing company but it does not have quite the same tradition in still cameras as Olympus do.
I fully agree with the styling USP of the E-M5. That was a major reason I switched to Olympus from the Lumix G bodies. (I loved the concept of the digital Olympus Pen cameras, but miss a viewfinder too much to be able to cope with its LCD screen. And adding the EVF stops you using a flashgun.)

But it would seem that Olympus are concentrating on fast prime lenses while Panasonic produce the fast zooms (like my new 12-35 f2.8). That works for me as I get a stabilised lens that will also work on my GF2, and the price includes a lens hood and lens pouch.

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 19th July 2012

Thanked 1,128 Times in 705 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

A wee bit off topic given the latest input/posts, but still along the lines of the header...

Having just received my µ4/3 40-150, I’m sorry to say that first impressions straight out of the box were ‘cheap and nasty. A bit of metal [17mm 2.8] here and there with a lens hood and soft pouch certainly wouldn’t go amiss. If Panasonic can supply similar goods at a similar price point then why on earth are Olympus not following suite? Add on [purchase as extra’s] the extra supplied items and it makes Olympus prices appear OTT. I’m thinking that this small detail might, in the long-term, prove to be a cut back too much.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 19th July 2012

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
......snip..
Add on [purchase as extra’s] the extra supplied items and it makes Olympus prices appear OTT. I’m thinking that this small detail might, in the long-term, prove to be a cut back too much.
I agree, Oly are being ridiculously parsimonious with this kit and the add-ons are a stupid price. Here's a couple of examples:

45mm Lens hood £8.19 from Hong Kong (incl shipping), Oly £30 incl shipping

Aftermarket BLN-1 batteries about £10, Oly's yet-to-be-proved-better versions about £70. I can't tell the difference other than the Oly charger won't charge the aftermarket ones.

AC power adapter £100???

Very weird if you ask me.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 19th July 2012

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

I also think that the lack of pouch and hood with Oly m4/3rd lenses is marketing miscalculation on their part. I'll leave it at that

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr