Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 17th July 2012

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts
Re: Olympus, a shot in the foot?

While I agree that the OM-D's focus tracking of fast moving objects is less versatile than standard DSLR's, it is still quite good. In just about every other photographic feature it comes across as good a camera as any other in the market in that price range and often more than comparable to more expensive brands.

I think that I can safely say that most users spend comparitively little time photographing motor racing and so the OM-D overall is an excellent camera and excellent value. I certainly would not want to change for anything else.
Old 17th July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
and so the OM-D overall is an excellent camera and excellent value. I certainly would not want to change for anything else.
Ditto!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 17th July 2012

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
... so the OM-D overall is an excellent camera and excellent value. I certainly would not want to change for anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Ditto!
And +1 for me. It's perfect for mountaineering/ambling around the County/ad hoc social events/travelling etc. That combination of quality and portability what I was looking for 4/3 to deliver.

If shooting fast moving subjects or low light stuff were of prime importance, I'd not have bought it - indeed I wouldn't have bought into 4/3 - I was toying with Nikon when I got the E300.

And as others have implied I hardly think Oly have shot themselves in the foot with this camera. A very strange thread title.

I hope you get a resolution to your issues David, in particular it would be nice if Oly could fix the focus issues which seem to be the main stumbling blocks to your wildlife shooting, it'd be a shame to lose you from the forum.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 17th July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
it'd be a shame to lose you from the forum.
Indeed. I love your nature shots, David.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 17th July 2012

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Indeed. I love your nature shots, David.
Agree 100% we wouldn't want to lose the amazing shots you post here David.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 17th July 2012

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Agree 100% we wouldn't want to lose the amazing shots you post here David.
Yes, but with the way Olympus are going, he won't be able to get those type of shots on their future cameras. They are shot on a system that Olympus don't support any more.

I am very grateful to you, David for posting this! You've just saved me a lot of money. We do much the same type of photography - fast moving wildlife and fast-moving macros, the last thing we need is autofocus slowing down or becoming unreliable. And the E5 easily does a day on one-two batteries. I certainly don't want to spend any money on the OM-D with that type of review. I was thinking of getting one for the Greenland trip, but won't now!

Yes - people might be moving to Oly for the OM-D, they probably shoot street photography, think visual design means more than ergonomy and drink café lattes too, so that doesn't mean anything to me. I don't know any other serious wildlife/nature photographers here in Norway who use Olympus, and I am beginning to see why.

As someone said further up - there are different cameras for different types of photography. So David, it seems that Olympus don't want us as customers. That's a pity, because I usually spend a lot of money on photo-gear... But I guess they already had my money and are looking for different clients.

What a pity, read the reviews that the E5 got!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...costumerReview

And this is a camera that is the last in the line?? It also won the TIPA Award for best camera in the enthusiast class in 2011. Oly didn't even market that... It'd like they want to get rid of the E-system as quickly as possible..

To have a system in the future that receives support from the manufacturer, I would have to either go to micro Four thirds or to Canon, Nikon or Pentax for my main gear. Very, very easy choice by the looks of it.

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 17th July 2012

Cathrine, I think you may be just jumping the gun a little
I would be very surprised if Olympus didn't introduce a larger camera body (along E-5 lines) to support of 4/3rds glass using E-M5 technology.
For you, David and many others this will be a fantastic tool.
Not really for me I must admit because I have always tended towards smaller kit rather than larger but horses for courses as they say.

Edit: Just add that also I think it would be unfair to say the E-M5 is totally unsuitable for wildlife shots. Even though I haven't gone out of my way to try and get them I have managed to take a few that I'm quite pleased with, nothing stand out mind you.
Here's one of a Red Kite in flight which I had very little time to capture. It's a pretty severe crop but still I'm quite happy with the result.

Here's another, OK not exactly in flight but...

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 17th July 2012

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Out of interest, who said that Oly weren't going to continue 4/3 and bring out a new 4/3 camera? Just because they have brought out a well-received m4/3 model doesn't mean abandonment of 4/3.

Re the E-M5 I don't shoot street photography, I don't think visual design means more than ergonomy and I don't drink café lattes . I do however spend a lot of time with my camera outdoors, walking & climbing often in inclement weather, and the E-M5 easily beats the E-5 in that scenario . My tripod's nigh on a kilo lighter for starters.

If I was primarily birding I'd look for something good in low light and something with good focus tracking. If I read the reviews/wildlife websites correctly I don't think that scenario would favour Oly, but as many have demonstrated on this site it doesn't rule out Oly either.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
The Following User Says Thank You to jdal For This Useful Post:
StephenL (17th July 2012)
Old 17th July 2012

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Horses for courses.
Exactly! It entirely depends on what you want from a camera and, like anything in life, it is a compromise.

My £0.02 - I have three cameras: Oly Tough, G3 and E3.

The tough comes to the beach, park and anywhere else it gets dropped, wet, chewed and generally abused. It fits in my pocket but the quality is small-sensor poor.

I use the G3 for it's portability and ability to take family snaps but with full manual control and quality for when I get some time to take photos. My compromise is that I limit my lenses to entry-level 43/m43 because they are light and I don't want to invest heavily in the system.

If I want to go and take photos of birds and other moving things, out come the E3 and SWD lenses/SHG lenses. Here I trade the portability and light weight for focus speed, control and well balanced handling with the lenses.

Horses for courses, absolutely. I could go on for many more lines about the pros and cons of each system. I am happy - I know the limitations and they apply across the market.

I am compromised but replete with my mix portability, quality and general camera-ness.

Nick
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Who's_E For This Useful Post:
Greytop (17th July 2012), jdal (17th July 2012)
Old 17th July 2012

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

I have moved from a Canon 50D to the E-M5 and find the Olympus out-performs the Canon in every respect except continuous focus on moving objects. But the Canon was a bit hit and miss in this respect too but I think it had a better yield than the Olympus. I pre-focus for best results. This is not a solution if action photography is your primary interest. If that had been my interest I would buy a Canon 7D, I don't have experience of the E5 having said that or a Nikon alternative. I don't think the E-M5 fits the bill for David - hopefully the next OM-D will. Its a shame the hype at pre-release was not tempered with quality information in this respect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brianvickers For This Useful Post:
Greytop (17th July 2012), jdal (17th July 2012)
Old 17th July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Cathrine, I think you may be just jumping the gun a little
I would be very surprised if Olympus didn't introduce a larger camera body (along E-5 lines) to support of 4/3rds glass using E-M5 technology.
For you, David and many others this will be a fantastic tool.
Huw, the sparrow is really nice and sharp, at which distance was it taken and with which lens? The question is for me performance with existing 4/3 lenses, not performance on micro 4/3 lenses. The micro 4/3 lenses have some nice primes in the wide angle range, and as discussed in other threads, a 300 2.8 would have to be big, so they probably won't make one.

Different cameras for different things, yes. What I'm reading about the OM-D does not convince me that it is for me and my style of photography YET, maybe some later version. I don't photograph in streets, I hate cities, and want to get out as quickly as possible . Yes, weight matters in the field, but not at the cost of function and quality. And quality is a sum of all the functions that matter to you. High image quality without fast focusing doesn't help me much. To me retro design is totally unimportant, rediculous even, and art filters are (again to me) a joke. You can do the same in post processing. Weather proofing and a build of all lenses to match the "tank" build of the E5 and OMD is an absolute necessity, so I'll wait until the lenses match the build of the OMD before considering the micro Four thirds as a system. I do have two plastic lenses for E-PL3, they are not built as well as I need for fieldwork.

I know I'm being bitchy when writing this, but I am so frustrated with the money I've spent and that they are throwing away such a brilliant system that is the E-system 4/3.

Yes, I HOPE you are right and that they will come with a new body for the DSLR system. If they do, and I see the specs are a significant upgrade relative to the already superb E5 (better ISO abilities, faster C-autofocus and more reliable as well as more pixels) I promise to buy one, almost hang the cost. BUT: I have talked to Olympus in Norway, and they were definite that there will be no more E system bodies, it was the OMD that would be the future. Notice also the total lack of marketing of the E5, they don't even want you to buy the E-system. Even in 2011 when the camera won a TIPA award, they don't market it.

If I have to get micro four thirds lenses to get decent shots of birds in flight, running dogs etc. with a micro four thirds camera, I'm looking at switching everything anyway, as I don't necessarily want two systems. Faced with a total change of gear I might as well buy into top end Nikon or Canon instead, these I KNOW will give the results I want, I see plenty of great results every day, splendid ISO capabilities and high resolution, but sadly very large lenses . If I want light-weight and nicely priced, Pentax have the really good K5, although the lenses don't match 4/3 for quality. Maybe if Oly make a 300mm 2.8 micro four thirds I would consider, but there is no point in going for f/4 for the light conditions we get here. And I'd still have to sell everything to finance a new set of lenses, and as hardly anyone has Olympus in Norway, who would buy them?

Yes, I'm angry. Maybe I'm too negative. I sincerely hope the guy at Olympus Norway was wrong!

Maybe I'll start collecting emails... Stamps don't have a future either, do they ??

My book on Viovio
The Following User Says Thank You to Cathrine Stephansen For This Useful Post:
Greytop (17th July 2012)
Old 17th July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's_E View Post
Exactly! It entirely depends on what you want from a camera and, like anything in life, it is a compromise.

My £0.02 - I have three cameras: Oly Tough, G3 and E3.

The tough comes to the beach, park and anywhere else it gets dropped, wet, chewed and generally abused. It fits in my pocket but the quality is small-sensor poor.

I use the G3 for it's portability and ability to take family snaps but with full manual control and quality for when I get some time to take photos. My compromise is that I limit my lenses to entry-level 43/m43 because they are light and I don't want to invest heavily in the system.

If I want to go and take photos of birds and other moving things, out come the E3 and SWD lenses/SHG lenses. Here I trade the portability and light weight for focus speed, control and well balanced handling with the lenses.

Horses for courses, absolutely. I could go on for many more lines about the pros and cons of each system. I am happy - I know the limitations and they apply across the market.

I am compromised but replete with my mix portability, quality and general camera-ness.

Nick
I couldn't agree more, and for the moving things we want them to keep the E system alive!

My book on Viovio
Old 17th July 2012

Hello Cathrine,

Angry...nah I couldn't tell
That Sparrow (in my post above) was taken with the Panasonic 100-300 at distance of around 8 or 9 metres (bit of a guess).

Here are a couple taken with my now departed 50-200, EC-14 together with the E-M5

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 17th July 2012

Liked 1,329 Times in 798 Posts

If you're a pro, buy the most suitable tools to do the job. Otherwise buy whatever appeals to you.

As someone who spent a lot of time shooting motor sports professionally in the early 80's I learnt to focus manually and still do for almost all my wildlife photography.

David M's Photoblog
Old 17th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Canon are announcing their first mirrorless camera next week. It will be interesting to see what specs they claim for it....and the styling, they may go down the retro look. No idea on price or launch date yet but I suspect they will have been looking closely at the success of the M5 over recent weeks.