Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 15th July 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Olympus, a shot in the foot?

1. First we have an amazing new sensor and processing engine, not before time, but this is fitted into an apparently revolutionary camera, the E-M5, that is seriously compromised in the cause of fashion, style and compactness.

2. Add an extremely fast AF system that cannot cope with fast moving subjects.

3. Despite a whole host of new lenses nothing matches the range of SHG FT lenses.

4. Existing FT lenses when used with the E-M5 don’t come near their capability with the E5 and no news on the horizon on whether this will ever be sorted.

5. An IS system which is the best available in EV terms but can cause IQ issues if not used in ideal circumstances, I’ve found that on the one lens I have that has in-lens IS this is more reliable than the E-M5 IS.

6. An introductory offer of a free battery grip that two months down the line I haven’t yet received despite enlisting the help of Olympus UK – apparently the handling company have run out.

7. A silly little battery that cannot cope with even an hour of intensive wildlife photography.

8. A complete dearth of additional batteries available to buy at an exorbitant price, I need at least four for a day’s shooting.

9. And finally an upgrade that has possible problems and which Olympus say we shouldn’t download (I already have) but haven’t yet withdrawn.

It is no wonder that some have migrated to canikon – if developments in the near future don’t answer some of these problems I might consider this too!

David
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Morison For This Useful Post:
sapper (23rd July 2012), son of sid (15th July 2012)
Old 15th July 2012

Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,327 Posts
Liked 2,422 Times in 1,144 Posts
Re: Olympus, a shot in the foot?

Blimey David that's a bit depressing. I hadn't heard of many of your issues, to be honest I hadn't gone looking I guess as I decided to wait rather than buy early. I thought people were migrating the other way as it was so good! little did I know. Hope Oly get these issues sorted out as I'm pretty sure I'll get one one day. Or at least I was sure until I read your post. Issues 2, 4, 5 and 7 will need to have been sorted before I jump or the price dropped considerably to allow me to keep my 4/3s gear as well.
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

But what have canon and Nikon got that is remotely like the the OMD?

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 135 Times in 43 Posts

David, I do get a couple of your gripes, but some just don't make sense to me....

The AF system just isn't ever going to be able to do what something like an E-5 can do with tracking, but surely we all knew this anyway, no matter what huge improvements Olympus claimed pre-release?

The SHG lenses thing? They weren't there for m43 and were never promised when you bought the camera, plus we all know that FT lenses are too slow (and big) on m43 anyway, so it never took much in the way of due diligence to know this pre-purchase.

IBIS? What's wrong with it, I think it's pretty amazing?

The grip issue? - yep, really annoying, but I'm sure Olympus have been somewhat taken by surprise at the popularity of the camera and the sales figures.

Batteries? - annoying, but not a huge problem. Loads around on eBay/Amazon that work perfectly well and will save you a tidy sum as well.

Firmware? Yes, the Olympus firmware upgrade process totally sucks, and I've read of at least two people who have had their camera's bricked during the process.
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
But what have canon and Nikon got that is remotely like the the OMD?
Nothing, but perhaps that is the point. I borrowed from a friend a 7D plus a non IS 400mm f5.6 and could snap a bird in flight far easier than I could with my E5 with 300mm and the E-M5 wouldn't have stood a chance. Despite the increased portability of the E-M5 this is still a serious issue for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog
The AF system just isn't ever going to be able to do what something like an E-5 can do with tracking, but surely we all knew this anyway, no matter what huge improvements Olympus claimed pre-release?
I haven't yet used the CAF Tracking, but in SAF or CAF I can hardly ever get focus lock on a flying bird, less of a problem with the E5.

Quote:
The SHG lenses thing? They weren't there for m43 and were never promised when you bought the camera, plus we all know that FT lenses are too slow (and big) on m43 anyway, so it never took much in the way of due diligence to know this pre-purchase.
I was prepared for slower AF, although in many cases it is much slower than I was led to believe from reports. For many subjects this isn't a problem but with the 50-200mm SWD/EC14 combo on any subject it rarely even achieves focus lock and then the focus is usually off.

Quote:
But a lot has been said on this forum about the sensor movement causing some loss of IQ and I find this does happen occasionally with longer focal lengths - I don't get any problems with in-lens IS.

Quote:
Batteries? - annoying, but not a huge problem. Loads around on eBay/Amazon that work perfectly well and will save you tidy sum as well.
It is a huge problem when you are trying to catch interesting animal behaviour and the battery fails half way through. Usually the action is over by the time the battery is replaced.

After saying all this I do like the camera, it has some amazing and useful features and I love the light weight and portability. Also I think it works great for landscapes, architecture and macro etc. However for most of what I need it could have been so much better. With wildlife you rarely get a chance to examine the recorded image and take another one if it is poor. Perhaps with all the hype and reports I was expecting too much, so it's probably all my fault, but it doesn't change the facts as I see them.

David
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Morison For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (21st July 2012), sapper (23rd July 2012)
Old 15th July 2012

Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,046 Posts
Liked 2,194 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
David, I do get a couple of your gripes, but some just don't make sense to me....

The grip issue? - yep, really annoying, but I'm sure Olympus have been somewhat taken by surprise at the popularity of the camera and the sales figures.

Batteries? - annoying, but not a huge problem. Loads around on eBay/Amazon that work perfectly well and will save you tidy sum as well.

Firmware? Yes, the Olympus firmware upgrade process totally sucks, and I've read of at least two people who have had their camera's bricked during the process.
I decided to deal with the grip issue myself, as seen here, which allows access to the camera battery, which seems to last reasonably well for it's size, with several shots still possible after the red battery warning flashes, but the spares are not, unfortunately, Olympus.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Let me say my first impulse was to agree with your thread title ... then I began to read your list and found myself adding a lot of qualifications.
I'd have liked to see Olympus introduce their multiple innovations piecemeal into a range of new bodies.
Sensor first, then electromagnetic floating 5-axis stabilisation, then double sample rate AF & EVF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
2. Add an extremely fast AF system that cannot cope with fast moving subjects.
Most of the AF speed was achieved with three previous bodies and a few new lenses. The e-M5 improves on them hardly at all ... with possibly finally achieving some C-AF success in m4/3rds. The opposite of what you write, kinda.
Quote:
3. Despite a whole host of new lenses nothing matches the range of SHG FT lenses.
Nothing in the 4/3rds lineup matches the mZ45mm, 17mm, Lumix20mm, so that goes both ways.
Quote:
4. Existing FT lenses when used with the E-M5 don’t come near their capability with the E5 and no news on the horizon on whether this will ever be sorted.
Existing HG & SHG lenses can resolve more detail on static subjects when used with the e-M5. Proven in some decent photo tests I've seen.
Sure AF is crippled. So there's plusses and minusses.
Quote:
5. An IS system which is the best available in EV terms but can cause IQ issues if not used in ideal circumstances, I’ve found that on the one lens I have that has in-lens IS this is more reliable than the E-M5 IS.
Also the e-M5 failures which I've seen reported are mostly failures in the new IBIS which kill the camera. Two deadly issues so far. The sleep/nowake up with Lumix lenses might be realated to IBIS too, who knows.
Quote:
7. A silly little battery that cannot cope with even an hour of intensive wildlife photography.
Batteries should have been standard Pen batteries! Absolutely!
Quote:
It is no wonder that some have migrated to canikon
The e-M5 has caused huge migration TO Olympus, not the other way around!
Its still happening as word gets out.
Old 15th July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

There's a simple answer if you don't like something.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Sorry to hear you're not getting on with the E-M5 David

I do agree with some of your points, for example focus tracking is not as good as the E-5 and yes the battery is likely to need doubling up with the grip (which luckily I have) for intensive shooting.
Having said that there are many non OEM batteries available at very reasonable cost, I have invested in four together with a dual charger and all for the price of one of the 'nearly' non existent OEM version.

With respect to glass quality I would contend that the new Lumix 12-35 f/2.8 is candidate for comparison with at least HG and probably SHG glass. More so if the 35-100 is as good as the 12-35.
The Lumix 25 is stonking lens too, not to mention the Olympus 45, 75 and probably to a lesser extent the 12. I expect the 60 macro will be equally as good.

My first E-M5 did have a problem with the IBIS but now I'm very happy with the performance. In my opinion it is quite exceptional.

Lastly all the indicators I have seen suggest that many more are migrating to Olympus from larger D-SLR set-ups rather than the other way around.
I suspect this would also be confirmed by the E-M5 sales figures, the frustrating shortages of grips and batteries are other indicators.

Perhaps it's fair to say the E-M5 may not suit all but as an all round high quality compact solution it is appears to be suiting a great many more than it's not.
I'm very happy with mine.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greytop For This Useful Post:
jdal (17th July 2012), sapper (23rd July 2012), StephenL (15th July 2012)
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 349 Times in 144 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

I love posts like this! I've not been tempted to move to MFT and see no reason to do so for the sort of photography I enjoy. The plus side of the D5 is that some forum members sold off their E5s at affordable prices and I now have two. Used in conjunction with the Pro and TopPro lenses they're fantastic!

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 15th July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
I love posts like this! I've not been tempted to move to MFT and see no reason to do so for the sort of photography I enjoy. The plus side of the D5 is that some forum members sold off their E5s at affordable prices and I now have two. Used in conjunction with the Pro and TopPro lenses they're fantastic!
That's fine. Horses for courses.

My Flickr site
Old 15th July 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
There's a simple answer if you don't like something.
Yes, and I can think of at least one person who would be interested in a keenly priced used E-M5!

But, we don't want to lose David!

Hope you manage to resolve at least some of these issues, David.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 16th July 2012

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
That's fine. Horses for courses.
Yes indeed. It seems that the E-M5 is the wrong camera for David's style of photography; that's OK. I do remember however, reading (in many different places) that there is no perfect camera, so a good photographer works with and around their camera. For me looking at the pros & cons of the E-M5, the glass is 9/10 full.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul19 For This Useful Post:
StephenL (16th July 2012)
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

If there was a perfect camera, no-one would buy anything else!

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
OlyPaul (16th July 2012)
Old 17th July 2012

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

Interesting

I've found the E-M5's continuous tracking autofocus reasonably useful for following people in some types of street photography, but I agree it can't keep up with motorsports and the like.

I've found "CA with single-spot autofocus" much more useful for fast subjects. I had both my E-M5 + Panny 100-300, and D300 + 70-200 f2.8 Nikkor, at different times during the British GP last weekend: in summary, I shan't be selling the latter combination yet.
However, I shall be using it less often because the Oly-Panny combination in CA-single-spot mode is better than any m4/3 combination I've used in this way before: it also doesn't give me lumbago and means I've also got room for Silverstone-spec full waterproofs in my LowePro Slingshot

For example, I got several really nice sharp images of the Red Arrows Synchro Pair crossing (700mph closing speed) by follow-focussing one jet and tripping the shutter when the second one entered the frame (I'll post a link when I get back to a PC that isn't blocked from Flickr...). There's no way that would ever have worked on my earlier m4/3 cameras.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.