Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 15th July 2012
Codger

Liked 105 Times in 45 Posts
Re: Don't update to E-M5 1.2 firmware for now.

I updated a few days ago and it seems to be fine.

The one thing I was interested in was "improved sleep recovery operation".

I found the camera was reluctant to recover from sleep mode, sometimes requiring switching off and on again. That seems to be much better after the update.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 734 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Olympus has operated the same firmware update system for 9 years and it has worked fine in that time.
That is a bit wide of the mark, Ian. It may have "worked fine", but every time the topic comes up loads of us say how we dislike it. I can understand that Oly may have reasons for not doing it via the memory card, but the process as it stands still makes me very nervous.

If Oly insist on having the camera online to transfer the update directly, PLEASE can you break the process down a bit? For example, give us a progress bar and a safe cancel option while the data is being transferred, then a prompt on the camera to say "OK, I got the stuff, do you want me to update now?".

Thanks for the warning, I'll hold off for now.

Ciao ... John
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
Four people over on mu43 with bricked OM-D's now due to the update...
There is a possibility that servers for us Brits got a healthy update and more of the yanks got a dodgy one?
(Or they're a LOT thicker over there and unplugged during the process... )
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

Now they tell us!

I updated two days ago. Fortunately all went well and the camera seems to be behaving normally. Next time I will go on the principle that "if it ain't bust don't fix it".

As a new Olympus user I was a little surprised as my experience with other brands (Pentax and Leica) has always been to download the update then copy to a SDHC card which does separate the risks of a disrupted connection from the actual update process.

I suppose this means that there will be a revised update coming soon.

Archie
Old 15th July 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,755 Times in 791 Posts

I concede that for some it may be a nerve-jangling procedure but software/firmware updating of hardware in this manner is perfectly routine for phones, computers and a variety of other devices. As long as you follow the instructions there should be no problems under normal circumstances. The riskiest part is the flashing process and this only happens after the firmware has been downloaded so an interrupted Internet connection won't cause a problem. The primary danger is that the camera will power-off while the flash programming is underway. This would be caused by a battery dying at the critical point, but unless your battery is knackered as long as you have charged up your battery in advance, which is advised, that won't happen. I don't know what has happened with the v.1.2 update but it seems that problems may have happened regardless of the method of delivery.

I am speaking from experience - with dozens of lenses and camera bodies in our hire stock plus many more lenses and bodies that have passed through my hands over the years I have not had a single mis-hap.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 15th July 2012

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,160 Posts

I remember updating my ZD40-150 lens on the E410 a few years ago & I was silly enough to disrupt it right near the end (my first update), including trying to turn off the camera, but thankfully it outsmarted me & it stayed powered up to finish the process with a successful outcome. I have been extra careful to follow the instructions since & with a fully charged battery, although I was a little overconfident & trusted the charge in my twin batteries in the E30 grip for the latest update on the 70-300 lens this year (as well as doing it from my home wireless connection).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 15th July 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post
Yea I really hate Olympus for there way of updating just for that reason and always do it with some trepidation.

What wrong with downloading the update then copying it to a SD card and doing it from there as other Brands do?
Next time there is a "Wish List" for Olympus I think we should put this right at the top!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

My Olympus update went fine (once I'd clicked OK on the camera to get it going!) but they do warn you to use a wired internet connection rather than a wireless connection, and to have a charged battery or AC supply.

I take people's point that downloading to a SD card, and confirming the correct checksum before inserting in the camera would avoid the possibility of a corrupt download bricking the camera. But Panasonic had to withdraw one of their updates last year even when they do it this way, so nothing's perfect.

Over the years I've updated Canons and Panasonics without problems, and my only complaint is that the updates stop coming once a camera has been replaced with a new model.

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I concede that for some it may be a nerve-jangling procedure but software/firmware updating of hardware in this manner is perfectly routine for phones, computers and a variety of other devices. As long as you follow the instructions there should be no problems under normal circumstances. The riskiest part is the flashing process and this only happens after the firmware has been downloaded so an interrupted Internet connection won't cause a problem. The primary danger is that the camera will power-off while the flash programming is underway. This would be caused by a battery dying at the critical point, but unless your battery is knackered as long as you have charged up your battery in advance, which is advised, that won't happen. I don't know what has happened with the v.1.2 update but it seems that problems may have happened regardless of the method of delivery.

I am speaking from experience - with dozens of lenses and camera bodies in our hire stock plus many more lenses and bodies that have passed through my hands over the years I have not had a single mis-hap.

Ian
Thanks Ian, very reassuring. In fairness I have updated the firmware in a variety of cameras over the years without problems. The different method adopted by Olympus probably pushed up my anxiety levels due to its unfamiliarity.

Archie
Old 15th July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I presume that one reason Olympus use the system they do is to avoid the issue that Panasonic certainly faces, and that's that of people "hacking" the firmware file to add different features to the camera.

But I agree that a progress bar or similar would make the process more reassuring.

Just to add that mine updated just fine, and I've never had problems with this system.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 15th July 2012

Thanked 1,128 Times in 705 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

Like Ian, over the years I've updated firmware on quite a few 'Olympus' models + lens etc., e-20 onwards and upwards and all without problems of any kind. I ALWAYS make sure I have the power sourced from the mains rather than assume the battery is OK... even if showing fully charged.

Having said all that, and as has been mentioned, I'm sure there are some simple tweaks to the software that would make it more transparent about what goes on during the update process?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 15th July 2012

Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts

I have done this over the years with no problems as well. The OMD was updated and it took a while for the download but the last part on the camera was very quick.

Graham
Old 15th July 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,755 Times in 791 Posts

A progress bar would be nice to have. But there is no way the process would not do file validation before commencing the flashing process, so the advice regarding wireless connection is a bit superfluous. Phones can download their updates over mobile data which is slower and much more interrupted than wireless LAN most of the time. I think there is just as much work involved in copying a file to an SD card and then removing and inserting into he camera as following the normal Olympus procedure. It's certainly not less risky as all the normal risk factors are battery-related.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 734 Times in 491 Posts

Ian - the problem has nothing to do with the difficulty of doing it - it is a pretty simple procedure, as is downloading and transferring via an SD card. The problem is that we know that it is a critical process and if we interrupt it at the wrong time we may end up bricking the camera. Sometimes it can take a long time if your connection is a bit flaky or there is a lot of demand on Oly's servers. We have no indication of what is going on, so once started we have to let it run to completion even though we no feedback to tell us where it's got to.

Different steps in the process have different dependencies, and it would be a lot more helpful to isolate them so that we can safely take one step at a time. Of course no procedure can guarantee that we won't be tripped up by a duff battery (or a power cut if we're using the AC adapter) or monumental user stupidity, but I'm sure the whole process could be a lot more transparent and therefore manageable. I have been updating since getting an E-1 in 2004 - and any time it seems to be taking a while I am "bricking it" in a rather different sense!

Ciao ... John
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

'allo 'allo

My update - last night - also went fine. And the OM-D works better than ever. The switch from LCD til EVF, when I put it to the eye, is MUCH faster

niels
Olympus OM-D E-M1, HLD-7, OM-D E-M5, HLD-6, E-3, HLD-4, E-400, ZD25/2.8, ZDED50/2.0, ZD11-22/2.8-3.5, ZD14-54/2.8-3.5, ZDED50-200/2.8-3.5, EC14, EX25, 2 x FL-50R, FL-36, Sigma 30/1.4, MMF-3, mZD12-50/3.5-6.3, mZD12/2.0, mZD45/1.8, mZD60/2.8MACRO, mZD75/1.8, mZD12-40/2.8PRO, mZD75-300/4.8-6.7II, Panasonic 1.7/20ASPH, Leica DG Summilux 1.4/25ASPH - Olympus OM-1 (35&100/2.8)