Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 17th June 2012

Liked 584 Times in 260 Posts
Re: Olympus OM-D and E-M5 questions answered

Hi Ava,

I've managed to find two shots of the same driver at the same time with the two lenses both taken in shutter priority!

First, Olympus.
Focal length 140mm, ISO1000, 1/3200 f6.3, focal distance approx. 70m

Second, Panasonic
Focal length 120mm, ISO1000, 1/2000, f9. focal distance approx. 59m

I hope this is useful.

Amanda
Old 17th June 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs T View Post
Hi Ava,

I've managed to find two shots of the same driver at the same time with the two lenses both taken in shutter priority!

First, Olympus.
Focal length 140mm, ISO1000, 1/3200 f6.3, focal distance approx. 70m

Second, Panasonic
Focal length 120mm, ISO1000, 1/2000, f9. focal distance approx. 59m

I hope this is useful.

Amanda
Amanda, I enjoyed a whizz through your Monaco shots but will wait for thread looks like you have a phenomenally wonderful holiday
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 17th June 2012

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,419 Times in 1,141 Posts

Yes must have been a fabulous holiday. Maybe try it myself one day but will need to save up and retire first. I wonder what that photographer lying on the ground is trying to shoot. The marshals eyeball perhaps That's what I call lying in wait for a photo opportunity.
Old 17th June 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose1949 View Post
... had trouble with the silver cars (McLaren and Mercedes) as the focus was more challenging ... Could that be down to light diffracts/reflects off (certainly silver) and white? Maybe under-exposing or reducing the contrast a tad might help?
Hi Footloose1949, thanks for the suggestion. Sadly unless I won the lottery last night I can't try it!

Chevvyf1, it was great and really relaxing for me, but at an average of 15,500 steps per day my husband found it quite tiring! Amazing how he's got used to a life of retirement!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Yes must have been a fabulous holiday. Maybe try it myself one day but will need to save up and retire first. I wonder what that photographer lying on the ground is trying to shoot. The marshals eyeball perhaps That's what I call lying in wait for a photo opportunity.
I wondered that too! It doesn't even look as though he's photographing the grand stand either. It is worth the saving. Staying in Nice is much cheaper, just 20 minutes on the (double decker) train, which run every 15-30 minutes, and just 14.40 return for two people!

Amanda
Old 17th June 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you Amanda-

They look pretty similar. Both came out really nice. Do you like the Olympus better due to the feel of it, and because of the Panasonic lens creep? Does the image stabilization on the Panasonic lens work on the Olympus camera?
Old 18th June 2012

Hi Ava,

I prefer the Olympus because of it's size and the way it felt balanced on the OM-D. I think it feels better when zooming. The IS was turned off on the Panasonic as it would have, I believe been counter productive with the OM-D IBIS. We haven't tried using the lens IS instead of the body.

Amanda
Old 18th June 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you Amanda. I have been reading so many reviews and all it does is make things more complicated. I wish Olympus would make a faster lens like this, and then the high price would somehow feel more justified!
Old 18th June 2012

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

I'm sure you have probably found this thread, some healthy examples from the 100-300.
Equally there is a similar thread for the 75-300 here.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 19th June 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you. No, I did not see those threads. I looked through both of them. There are some excellent photos in both. I still don't know what to do. I like the idea of smaller/lighter, but I don't like the idea of the price to get it. I am not certain yet what is most important to me.... also it seems that some people are have difficulty with a zoom that is not smooth with the 100-300, but others are saying that the lens comes out when carried in a downward position with the 75-300. I know that I want one of them...just not clear yet.
Old 19th June 2012

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava View Post
Thank you. No, I did not see those threads. I looked through both of them. There are some excellent photos in both. I still don't know what to do. I like the idea of smaller/lighter, but I don't like the idea of the price to get it. I am not certain yet what is most important to me.... also it seems that some people are have difficulty with a zoom that is not smooth with the 100-300, but others are saying that the lens comes out when carried in a downward position with the 75-300. I know that I want one of them...just not clear yet.
My 70-300 runs away with itself when you point in downwards too, a pain in the neck but I live with it as its is a lovely handy lens.
Old 19th June 2012

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Yes definitely a tricky one. If it's any help, I've not had any problems with the zoom action of my 100-300.

The points that tipped the balance for me were:-

1) The Lumix is just that bit faster (f/5.6 at the long end).
2) It's a more comprehensive package in that the hood and pouch are included.
3) The size difference is not significant IMHO (I have handled both).
4) The Lumix is cheaper, and for me even-more so because at the time I purchased there was a 50.00 rebate which worked out at a massive 40% difference in cost.
5) The image quality comes close enough to my now sold 4/3rds ZD 50-200 SWD + EC-14 for my purposes, meaning I'm pretty impressed with it

I'll just add that I'm in no doubt the m.ZD 75-300 is equally as good image quality wise but it was these factors that made the 100-300 hard turn down if favour of the 75-300.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 19th June 2012

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

I've recently acquired a used 75-300 which seems to be very well engineered. A very smooth and nicely weighted zoom action with no signs of zoom creep and very little lateral movement of the extended portion even at full extension
Old 19th June 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
I like the idea of smaller/lighter, but I don't like the idea of the price to get it. I am not certain yet what is most important to me.... also it seems that some people are have difficulty with a zoom that is not smooth with the 100-300, but others are saying that the lens comes out when carried in a downward position with the 75-300. I know that I want one of them...just not clear yet.
All zoom creep problems can be corrected with a Lensband, I've got one on my 75-300mm and it works brilliantly. Cheap as well - 6.99 on Ebay.

David
Old 19th June 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for the additional information! That does help quite a lot in thinking this decision through. I hope that I will be able to capture images as wonderful and impressive as all of yours!