Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 27th January 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts
Re: Why the OM-D might be the best camera EVER

Oh, one more possibility I forgot to speculate upon - ICE.

Imange Circle Expansion technology. This revoluntionary optical process defeats the law of physics and allows Micro Four Thirds lenses to be used on a full frame sensor without cropping - did I not mention that the new sensor is full frame?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 27th January 2012

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Oh, one more possibility I forgot to speculate upon - ICE.

Imange Circle Expansion technology. This revoluntionary optical process defeats the law of physics and allows Micro Four Thirds lenses to be used on a full frame sensor without cropping - did I not mention that the new sensor is full frame?
It is in fact much more likely that some magic will appear that allows full frame lenses to be used on FT sensors with IQ, DR and DOF identical to that achieved on FF
Old 27th January 2012

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

John now you are really confusing me!!
Old 27th January 2012

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Is this not the moment to also add in that Olympus have cast around for other companies that are in need of a massive PR boost and will also be announcing that they are working in partnership with Kodak.

They have a new patent for Kodachrome Electronic Ink Film, which advances the principle of the Kindle's B&W electronic ink display but using colour on a super four-thirds film in a canister.
By connecting the camera to one of the new Kodachrome Zeus OMG scanner/printers, a scaled up digital ink transparency print can be created for display to all co-workers, family, etc. The scanner will also allow for ordinary paper prints to be made for the less techie amongst us.
Kodak will also bring out a new range of digital ink transparency film and papers. The new printers are believed to include small micro chargers which change and then fix the digital ink transparency paper's encapsulated inks. To the touch, the new film will feel similar to Kodak's transparency film but it will be a dual layer film.
It is thought that this niche sector will account for most of the new Olympus/Kodak partnership output over the coming years. Stefan Jester of RBF bank is believed to be considering a career change to the new partnership if his bonus is not fully awarded.

Regards
Chrys Talball
Old 27th January 2012

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

Hang on. Havn't kodack just filed for bankrupcy?
Old 27th January 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky View Post
Hang on. Havn't kodack just filed for bankrupcy?
Which makes them the perfect partner for Olympus who have just narrowly avoided it!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 27th January 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Is this not the moment to also add in that Olympus have cast around for other companies that are in need of a massive PR boost and will also be announcing that they are working in partnership with Kodak.

They have a new patent for Kodachrome Electronic Ink Film, which advances the principle of the Kindle's B&W electronic ink display but using colour on a super four-thirds film in a canister.
By connecting the camera to one of the new Kodachrome Zeus OMG scanner/printers, a scaled up digital ink transparency print can be created for display to all co-workers, family, etc. The scanner will also allow for ordinary paper prints to be made for the less techie amongst us.
Kodak will also bring out a new range of digital ink transparency film and papers. The new printers are believed to include small micro chargers which change and then fix the digital ink transparency paper's encapsulated inks. To the touch, the new film will feel similar to Kodak's transparency film but it will be a dual layer film.
It is thought that this niche sector will account for most of the new Olympus/Kodak partnership output over the coming years. Stefan Jester of RBF bank is believed to be considering a career change to the new partnership if his bonus is not fully awarded.

Regards
Chrys Talball
Nice one, Chrys Talball.

Old 27th January 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
John now you are really confusing me!!
I'd be surprised if I haven't confused everyone, Bill!

Old 27th January 2012

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Nice one, Chrys Talball.

Any other ideas coming out of the firestorm for the new OM series of products?
Old 27th January 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post

Any other ideas coming out of the firestorm for the new OM series of products?
Yes, the Composition Recognition Analysis Program (I'll let you work out the acronym for that). Basically the new EVF has Intelligent View Function (IVF) which allows it to concieve it's own compositions without the photographer being involved. The Composition Recognition Analysis Program then analyses all the compositions before selecting the best to save on the memory card.

Old 27th January 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Yes, the Composition Recognition Analysis Program (I'll let you work out the acronym for that). Basically the new EVF has Intelligent View Function (IVF) which allows it to concieve it's own compositions without the photographer being involved. The Composition Recognition Analysis Program then analyses all the compositions before selecting the best to save on the memory card.
In experience I must admit I enjoy the benefits of a good Composition Recognition Analysis Program, especially if it gives me a bit of time to catch up on reading technical literature.

One thought on the EVF with IVF, presumably this would let us write the IVF and non-IVF files to two different memory cards, both in RAW and jpg format?
Old 27th January 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
In experience I must admit I enjoy the benefits of a good Composition Recognition Analysis Program, especially if it gives me a bit of time to catch up on reading technical literature.

One thought on the EVF with IVF, presumably this would let us write the IVF and non-IVF files to two different memory cards, both in RAW and jpg format?
Of course. It's best they are kept seperate, we wouldn't want a mix up!

Old 28th January 2012

Liked 1,325 Times in 797 Posts

Of course if the OM-D is as good as John says it's going to be it will kill the market for the E-5.

So maybe I'll pick up an E-5 or two for a few quid while the early adopters troubleshoot the OM-D.

David M's Photoblog
Old 28th January 2012

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,421 Times in 1,143 Posts

I'd offer to troubleshoot the OM-D for a discount....
Oh and John you forgot to mention the new SES system on the OM-D. It's the revolutionary Space Enhancing System that warps and compacts the light rays to allow the 4/3 sensor to gather equivalent light to that of a FF one all in a micro 4/3 camera sized body.
Old 28th January 2012

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
I'd offer to troubleshoot the OM-D for a discount....
Oh and John you forgot to mention the new SES system on the OM-D. It's the revolutionary Space Enhancing System that warps and compacts the light rays to allow the 4/3 sensor to gather equivalent light to that of a FF one all in a micro 4/3 camera sized body.
Don't laugh - Oly have a patent on that one