Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work

Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work This board concentrates on topics that explore the potential of your photography being seen by a wider audience and even earning you some money.

Old 14th December 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Which Photos SELL ? for YOU ?

"Why would a customer want to buy one of your prints? and what need in the customer's mind are you satisfying?"

I "pinched" this above Title, from DerekW's post in "My last Craft Fair" (Zuiko's topic) as I did not want to go so far off-topic ...

Derek asks two very valid questions! We go to Craft Fairs to sell and complain no one is buying - THIS is why so many small business ventures fail ! No thought and Planning ! Know your Customer ? Know your Product ? and know Your Market/Competition?

You can sell " Sand to the Arabs" their sand is no good for Building

You can sell Ice to Eskimo's - I forget why !

Winchester has lost 3 "Candles and Gifts" shops in the last 3 months and 2 "Nail bars" ! ... BUT the Cobbler is doing a roaring trade; as is C & H Fabrics and M&S Food and ForMe gift shop now has 4 shops in Parchment Street; the "Paint your Jug; Vase; Mugs; Cafe & Jewellry shop in Parchment Street is doing very well; as is our small, once garden centre with Farm shop now and Butchers and Gifts and Cards and the Cafe is packed every lunchtime

I purchased a copy of Roger Antrobus'[2003] book "Photographs that SELL and SELL" ; I ask People what they like ? ; I look at the "Most Popular/Most Viewed Photos". I wanted to sell some photos for "Publishing" - Publishing is one of the Greatest Profit makers - you think of something, do it once and sell it many times - to different people - for different purposes ! Most people think of "Books" as Publishing business - but Software is Published (not owned as the book content - but Licenced to use" ! ... But Stock Photos may only sell a few a year, but over 20 years a nice little savings pot can accumulate in FSAVC's to top up Pensions

So What do you sell ? and to who ? and How ?
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 14th December 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Which Photos SELL ? for YOU ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
"Why would a customer want to buy one of your prints? and what need in the customer's mind are you satisfying?"

I "pinched" this above Title, from DerekW's post in "My last Craft Fair" (Zuiko's topic) as I did not want to go so far off-topic ...

Derek asks two very valid questions! We go to Craft Fairs to sell and complain no one is buying - THIS is why so many small business ventures fail ! No thought and Planning ! Know your Customer ? Know your Product ? and know Your Market/Competition?

You can sell " Sand to the Arabs" their sand is no good for Building

Winchester has lost 3 "Candles and Gifts" shops in the last 3 months and 2 "Nail bars" ! ... BUT the Cobbler is doing a roaring trade; as is C & H Fabrics and M&S Food and ForMe gift shop now has 4 shops in Parchment Street; the "Paint your Jug; Vase; Mugs; Cafe & Jewellry shop in Parchment Street is doing very well; as is our small, once garden centre with Farm shop now and Butchers and Gifts and Cards and the Cafe is packed every lunchtime

I purchased a copy of Roger Antrobus'[2003] book "Photographs that SELL and SELL" ; I ask People what they like ? ; I look at the "Most Popular/Most Viewed Photos". I wanted to sell some photos for "Publishing" - Publishing is one of the Greatest Profit makers - you think of something, do it once and sell it many times - to different people - for different purposes ! Most people think of "Books" as Publishing business - but Software is Published (not owned as the book content - but Licenced to use" ! ... But Stock Photos may only sell a few a year, but over 20 years a nice little savings pot can accumulate in FSAVC's to top up Pensions

Cos they used all thrirs in building igloos and don't have left to mix in their Martinis

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 14th December 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Not so much "which photos sell" as "who buys them". When we ran Barcaldine Castle as a b&b, and therefore had a captive market, I found that in general the North Americans bought irrespective of topic. Other nationalities were much more cagey with their money. The Russians never bought anything, and were the rudest and dirtiest. Scots were more appreciative of their own scenery than the English. French, Belgians, Dutch, and Germans rarely bought but had the flashiest cameras (literally - they always used flash even for shots of the distant mountains!)

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 14th December 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Not so much "which photos sell" as "who buys them". When we ran Barcaldine Castle as a b&b, and therefore had a captive market, I found that in general the North Americans bought irrespective of topic. Other nationalities were much more cagey with their money. The Russians never bought anything, and were the rudest and dirtiest. Scots were more appreciative of their own scenery than the English. French, Belgians, Dutch, and Germans rarely bought but had the flashiest cameras (literally - they always used flash even for shots of the distant mountains!)
Stephen that is useful

My Market is generally the Ladies about the Villages here - who want a nice card for their friends - blank for special occasions go very well - and many buy then in packs of 10's as notelets ! This is the "elders", a generation who do not email, but write and many still use a Founatin Pen I love my Shaeffer; Waterman and Cross Fountain Pens & Nibs - I use different coloured inks too (for my Caligraphy - Quotations & Poems in the main).

Much of my Marketing is done thro my Hobbies & their respective Groups :-Caligraphy - many buy cards from me to "write in" ; Quilting Group (a few ask me to take Studio Photos of their work too) ; my Church Groups (I do Specials for the Church Fund rasing, each with my "label and contact details and website on the back for ordering

I have a few (? hundreds) of Equine friends ... always keen to have another Great shot of their horses and dogs and sometimes children - they buy Flowers and Equine shots and a few Landscapes ... I do a few "Team Chase events" and a few "BSJA Shows" and a few "BHS Dressage shows" (mainly because of my own past competative interest and to meet up with old mates ... and ... BTW sell a few cards & Prints !

Then there are a few "Cars & Watches" friends ... collectors ... We go to special Vintage events like Goodwood - my brother looks after a few collections ... Robs Lampslough ; Nick Mason ...

We childmind a few days a week - we are known for being "ok with children" and having some of the most amazing "Props" a 10ft tall Pirate Ship that is 6ft wide and 8 ft long ... being one - its only right that people from the Villages make an appointment to have a session here ... we are CRB checked etc.,

In common with each other, everyone who buys from me "has a need" and I try to fulfil those opportunities in a bespoke manner ... without Craft Fair fees

Its all about "Networking" really !

the ONE photo album
Old 14th December 2011

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

I do not attempt to gain revenue - at one time I did a lot of photography for a charity, the dog training classes, Puppy Party, out and about training sessions. Special events, visits of Clebs etc. I had one invite from a puppy parent to do a wedding - I declined, better, to disappoint in advance than post delivery. However I get asked to cover neighbours parties and weddings as the "pap" photographer, booze and food provided as per the other guests and a day or twos work creating a web site and slide show on DVD etc.

Had quite a few published in various papers, Sky Magazine - just think, 9 million copies of several of my pictures went out to line the bottom of the cat litter tray.
Currently on the cover of a couple of books in Japan and one of the Med countries.

Back to the subject - I think that an extension of your honesty box principle could be used. except that you get some exceptional postcards of the local area and then seed them in the local shops alongside the standard postcards and see if they sell better than the existing range. This is an expense led activity ie you provide the first stock for free. Perhaps you have a small advert on the back of the card offering a large version for real money.

Can you beat the current offerings for postcards of Winchester? if so try the shops in town and not limit yourself to the local village. The Scottish pro who posts on here has success with postcards of his local landscapes as well as his larger prints.
Old 14th December 2011

Liked 1,323 Times in 796 Posts

It depends if you mean licensing to publishers or selling prints.

My nest box interiors have been extensively published but I've never printed any to sell;

On the other hand there's prints of this Red Fox hanging on walls across the UK and Canada;

Although the Red Fox was also published in a field guide.

David M's Photoblog
Old 15th December 2011

Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,043 Posts
Liked 2,172 Times in 1,156 Posts

Quote:
When it's pineapple flavoured & not yellow from something else.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 18th April 2012
lightday

I thought the duck picture was drawn by some artist.wrong.
Old 18th April 2012

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

I used to sell a lot of prints many years ago by doing do portrait sittings at peoples homes with a travelling portrait studio kit. It is surprising how many people would never dream of or want to g to a high st studio but are more than happy to have them done in their own homes.

I still on occasions do this for family or friends.

Quote:
[I][COLOR="Blue"]

Strangely enough although I do not market my images I have sold a few off my website and to some unusual buyers that have been a bit like selling ice to Eskimo's except I did not have to sell them.

For example this one was sold to a New Zealand University for a advert in a Japanese magazine for there courses. The Dean of the University said he had looked at all the New Zealand photographers images and none were as good as this considering Lambs are New Zealand, so he settled for a Welsh Lamb.

I was approached by a American history book Publisher wanting a image of mine for a book called Nurses through the ages.

Now this request coming from the land of American Civil War!

So they ended up with one from Staffordshire England.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 18th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post
I used to sell a lot of prints many years ago by doing do portrait sittings at peoples homes with a travelling portrait studio kit. It is surprising how many people would never dream of or want to g to a high st studio but are more than happy to have them done in their own homes.

I still on occasions do this for family or friends.

Strangely enough although I do not market my images I have sold a few off my website and to some unusual buyers that have been a bit like selling ice to Eskimo's except I did not have to sell them.

For example this one was sold to a New Zealand University for a advert in a Japanese magazine for there courses. The Dean of the University said he had looked at all the New Zealand photographers images and none were as good as this considering Lambs are New Zealand, so he settled for a Welsh Lamb.

I was approached by a American history book Publisher wanting a image of mine for a book called Nurses through the ages.

Now this request coming from the land of American Civil War!

So they ended up with one from Staffordshire England.

Paul, I just LURVE the Welsh Lamb in a field of Daffodils - for NZ ROFL lots !

The Nurses, well the confederate and yankee flags are in shot - and they have blue skies over there in USA! However, that grass is very RARE int he USA ! ... but they would not notice that !

Fab stories of Ice to Eskimo's

the ONE photo album
Old 18th April 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I went to a talk a couple of days ago with a PowerPoint slide show, and some of the photos were not that great (DoF Problems). The speaker said she'd bought some off the internet, and I'm afraid I wasn't impressed with those either.

I have better ones, a lot of people here have superb ones. I don't know how to sell mine and the one time I tried through Flickr (was it from a thread here? I think so) it was a no. I think I lack confidence, especially when I see what people on here can produce, so I've never approached sotock photo things except that once, which was an obliwque approach anyway.

Yet I suspect this speaker would have paid a few pence to use my photos... or yours... because they're better.

When I was looking I suddenly found photos which I'd seen recently in magazinesand it shook me how the same oldphoto gets used time and again (a pruning one.)

If I had the self-confidence that's what I'd try.

Maybe we should have a stock thread on here. Maybe we could have an Olympus Group Stock Gallery?
Old 18th April 2012

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

I sell stock still as I have mentioned in another thread, the issue is the "pence" thing.

A lot of people aren't happy with that level of value being placed on their work.

I'm quite happy as i have just about broken even with revenue v spend on camera and lenses

I can easily see why the lamb and the ACW pics were published, I bet it wasn't pence either for that usage.