Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 18th May 2011

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Lightroom Presentation

I have just returned home from seeing John 'The Musicman' Burns' Lightroom presentation at my photographic club. I like many others didn't really know what Lightroom is capable of - but I do now!
John demonstated the cataloging and library functions in the first half and I, and others, were well impressed by the power of the program. The ability to catalog all your images from various sources and allow you the facility to view them all (but not necessarily edit them) on your PC is not to be underestimated. The more keywords you can assign to each image the easier it will be to find it again. Therein lies the problem if you haven't already done this, but at least it gives you the opportunity to use the delete button on your less than good images!
The second half was on the processing facility in LR. Although offering many of the features in PS, combined with the cataloging feature means you have a one stop shop. For most photographers it would appear that Lightroom is all they would need. However, if your digital editing requires layers and more involved stuff then you can just export your images to PS.
So in all a really informative evening and a lot of bang for our buck, as they say. Hopefully we can get John back again to go into things in a little more detail, rather than the overview that we had tonight. His presentation on Photomatix Pro is sure to be of interest too.
Thanks John and I definitely think that the WPF will be imterested in having you on their list of presenters

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge