Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 16th March 2008
Scapula Memory

Neat Image comparison

Anyone else ( in particular E1 owners cos you E3 guys may not need this ) using Neat Image noise reduction software? I was quite surprised by initial results so I posted them here for comment.

My daughters hi-fi was the test subject, not meant to be a great shot as this was only a test, originally shot raw on tripod and 5 second mirror lock the original is at ISO 1600. Converted to jpeg in S2 with no alterations then run through NI with default parameters, just the luminance channel increased to 80% from 60%

Both images resized for here with Irfanview and auto sharpening applied.

The original ISO 1600 file

The filtered image

I also filtered some ISO 400 shots of the kids which were like them...a bit noisy and the results were excellent. For those like me who are new to this software a limited demo can be nabbed from here http://www.neatimage.com/

Any views, tips etc... thanks.
Old 16th March 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts
Re: Neat Image comparison

John

I have Neat image.I used to use it quite a lot with my E1 but as you said with the E3 I do not use it very often.I find if I do get a noisy image from the E3 I use the built in noise reduction in Silkypix which is my prefered Raw convertor.
I brought the full version of Neatimage for about 25.00 I think.With the full version you can save full size Jpegs,the main reason I got the full version is that it has batch processing.
On the Neatimage website you can also down load peoples presets for various cameras including the E1.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 16th March 2008

Liked 1,687 Times in 1,086 Posts

The 'neatimage' version certainly looks smoother, but I get the suspicion that detail is lost in the texture of the curtains and the front edge of the 'beech effect' MDF shelf.

I suppose on balance the neatimage version is more satisfying.

Jim
Old 16th March 2008

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

I got it some time ago after being recomended else where - and with E400 issues in this area......

I think it's an excellent tool for the overall armory and, unsurprisingly, it's use is the corollary to USM and it's best used selectively.

I wouldn't want to be without it.
Old 17th March 2008
Scapula Memory

Interesting to read the comments. Jim, I too thought initially some detail was lost but upon checking the wooden base I would say the detail lost there is very very minor if any. Not sure about the curtains could not make up my mind.

Rarely do I think I would need to go to ISO1600, possibly 800 and quite often 400 where NI is working incredibly well and has done wonders for some of my images in this area. I think these guys have earned their money with this, and with the $ in it`s weak state it`s drinks all around!