Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10th March 2008
PeterD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Dunnock

Hi John/all

Came across several Dunnock yesterday and today. Most of them fled long before I reached them but this one seemed a lot less timid. He allowed me to take 6 shots over about 2 minutes. He hopped from the fence to the grass verge and busied himself throwing leaves and twigs to one side in search of food. No, I did not have the dog with me at the time and it does prove its easier without him.





PeterD
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11th March 2008
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 11,654
Thanks: 427
Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,279 Posts
Likes: 882
Liked 1,756 Times in 792 Posts
Re: Dunnock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Hi John/all

Came across several Dunnock yesterday and today. Most of them fled long before I reached them but this one seemed a lot less timid. He allowed me to take 6 shots over about 2 minutes. He hopped from the fence to the grass verge and busied himself throwing leaves and twigs to one side in search of food. No, I did not have the dog with me at the time and it does prove its easier without him.





PeterD
Are Dunnock's rare? Must admit I wasn't too aware of the existence of this bird until people started to post pictures

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11th March 2008
HughofBardfield's Avatar
HughofBardfield HughofBardfield is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Great Bardfield, Essex, UK
Posts: 730
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Dunnock

It has "Amber" status on the RSPB's website - not urgently threatened, but of concern http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird..._explained.asp
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11th March 2008
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 8,587
Thanks: 471
Thanked 611 Times in 528 Posts
Likes: 2,760
Liked 1,686 Times in 1,085 Posts
Re: Dunnock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
It has "Amber" status on the RSPB's website - not urgently threatened, but of concern
Hmm, I'm suprised! I would have thought they were as common as robins, from my observations.

Nice little birds that just bustle around on the ground, keeping themselves to themselves. They've got a nice song too, but a bit hurried!

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11th March 2008
shenstone's Avatar
shenstone shenstone is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 3,443
Thanks: 168
Thanked 334 Times in 255 Posts
Likes: 440
Liked 546 Times in 294 Posts
Re: Dunnock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Hmm, I'm suprised! I would have thought they were as common as robins, from my observations.

Nice little birds that just bustle around on the ground, keeping themselves to themselves. They've got a nice song too, but a bit hurried!

Jim

A lot of people mistake them for female sparrows at 1st glance and hence IMHO I think personally that they are more common than the records (even RSPB) would indicate.

Regards
Andy
__________________
My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11th March 2008
PeterD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Dunnock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
A lot of people mistake them for female sparrows at 1st glance and hence IMHO I think personally that they are more common than the records (even RSPB) would indicate.

Regards
Andy
Andy,

It took me over an hour to positively identify it even though I am using the latest Collins Bird Guide. Lots of birds of this colouring and I agree, most people would describe them as sparrows. There seem to be quite a few around Broadmarsh/Southmoor.

PeterD
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12th March 2008
theMusicMan's Avatar
theMusicMan theMusicMan is offline
E-3 Enthusiast....:)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South Wales
Posts: 5,878
Thanks: 143
Thanked 267 Times in 178 Posts
Likes: 8
Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Dunnock

I'd tend to agree with Andy and think they are a little more common than even the Amber status of the RSPB suggests. I've seen many of them around my garden feeder, even young fluttering about pestering their parents to feed 'em.
__________________
John

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12th March 2008
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 8,587
Thanks: 471
Thanked 611 Times in 528 Posts
Likes: 2,760
Liked 1,686 Times in 1,085 Posts
Re: Dunnock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Andy,
It took me over an hour to positively identify it even though I am using the latest Collins Bird Guide. Lots of birds of this colouring and I agree, most people would describe them as sparrows. There seem to be quite a few around Broadmarsh/Southmoor.
PeterD
They're often called 'hedge sparrows', though they're not related. When you start to spot them they're quite different to female house sparrows - the markings on the back are finer and the beak is thinner. Their habits are different - they keep mostly to the ground and their activities are rather mouse like as forage.

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12th March 2008
Paddy's Avatar
Paddy Paddy is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tylwch
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Dunnock

A Dunnock is frequently in my garden, which is right besides the A428 in Bedford and is one of the rarer birds there as it is a bit hostile to them, though did have a couple of Redwings the other day which I photographed on my E-330, but the file is too big to upload so I can`t show you them , or my Dunnock!

Paddy.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13th March 2008
Ellie Ellie is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SW Hants, UK
Posts: 2,382
Thanks: 62
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Dunnock

We've got a pair of Dunnocks in our garden, they're very shy.

@ Paddy - you can resize your pictures using your usual editing software, make sure you save them with a different name from the original or it'll be overwritten, as I learned to my cost
__________________
- my pictures -
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Todays Dunnock... getting closer... theMusicMan Foto Fair 7 5th March 2008 06:05 PM
Dunnock... do you think he spotted me...? theMusicMan Foto Fair 6 19th February 2008 06:57 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:08 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger