Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 1st July 2019

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts
Re: Flash advice

I bought 8 Eneloop batteries for the FL50 in 2010 from a shop in france when on the way to a wedding in Switzerland. They worked well at the wedding - over 100 exposures at least and have been in use since. I can leave them untouched for a year or so and then use them in the FL50 without the need for charging.
I have read reviews of batteries that claim that the Eneloop is not the best performer, if you have a good performer why spend more (do not talk about the E1)
Old 1st July 2019

Liked 2,402 Times in 1,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
I bought 8 Eneloop batteries for the FL50 in 2010 from a shop in france when on the way to a wedding in Switzerland. They worked well at the wedding - over 100 exposures at least and have been in use since. I can leave them untouched for a year or so and then use them in the FL50 without the need for charging.
I have read reviews of batteries that claim that the Eneloop is not the best performer, if you have a good performer why spend more (do not talk about the E1)
Batteries notwithstanding, please be aware that many electronic devices now use 'soft switching' rather than a physical on/off switch. This provides many benefits such as auto-off, but there will usually be a small drain current of perhaps 15-20 A which will slowly drain any battery over time.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 1st July 2019

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

Batteries always removed from flash gun unless the flash is to be used - so for most of the time the battteries have been in the box.
Old 1st July 2019

Liked 2,402 Times in 1,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Batteries always removed from flash gun unless the flash is to be used - so for most of the time the battteries have been in the box.
To be fair the FL50 is very good with batteries, (surprisingly so for Olympus), but I have a Canon flashgun for my G12 which drains a set of AA batteries in about a year.

To get around this problem I leave the batteries installed, but place a strip of paper between one of the battery terminals and the cover. This can be removed quickly and easily when the flashgun is needed.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing