Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 3rd June 2019

Liked 285 Times in 187 Posts
Re: W10 peek-a-boo for Junes update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
My apologies. Should have paid more attention. as I missed out on that query?

Just to clarify: I reinstalled W7 onto a new SSD, so the original software W8 / W10 etc., wasn't there to overwrite. Thus, the only product key available for digital have been for W7.
The Win product keys are stored in the computer's Bios, so a new SSD drive would no have no effect on whether the installation was accepted or not. It would have been the previous Win10 key that allowed and validated the update.

Jax
Old 3rd June 2019

Thanked 1,128 Times in 705 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
... I'll give it another go over the next couple of days and see what happens on a direct upgrade.
All I did was to download the upgrade tool for the correct Windows version from the given link from above. Install straight from the download and and start it up. The rest gets taken care of.

As per normal the PC will restart from time to time and hopefully, in your case, the process will also be painless.

The longest and most boring part of the process is catching up with all the updates etc.

Some drivers may be an initial issue? Some of the updates may resolve most if not all? I had to look up an Intel GFX driver and all was hunky-dory as they say.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Keith-369 (3rd June 2019)
Old 3rd June 2019

Liked 2,403 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Ahh, thanks for that, Wally. I tried an update using the USB drive method but it wouldn't let me, saying that Win10 wouldn't install whilst a USB was in a socket.
I also tried using a USB drive which I made when the free upgrade offer was available, it allowed the USB drive but did not allow my Win7 product code.

I'll give it another go over the next couple of days and see what happens on a direct upgrade.

If you do need to buy a licence there are much cheaper places to buy one than Microsoft. Ebuyer, one of my regular suppliers has it for £129 but there are plenty of other legitimate sources.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Old 3rd June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
The Win product keys are stored in the computer's Bios, so a new SSD drive would no have no effect on whether the installation was accepted or not. It would have been the previous Win10 key that allowed and validated the update.

Jax
That isn't quite correct. When you register the OS with Microsoft they record the unique serial number from your motherboard as a unique identifier and keep that on their database. That is why you can now change major components such as hard drives and CPU's without having to re-authenticate the software. If only Adobe was that clever.

What I am unsure about is corporate type machines such as my HP which always came with a choice of two or more operating systems from new. It seems this is some kind of blanket licence. Our son tried to install W7 on a new SSD in his HP laptop using the manufacturer's restore disks. It checked for updates on install and automatically installed W10 without asking. He particularly wanted W7 to use some legacy software so he reinstalled W7 making sure all internet connections were disconnected!

A final point, if you are planning to reinstall the OS to a new SSD using manufacturer's restore disks make sure the SSD is at least as big as the original hard drive. If it isn't the OS will refuse to install even though it doesn't need the space.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Old 3rd June 2019

Liked 553 Times in 285 Posts

Thanks Jax, Wally and Nigel. All interesting information.

I only need Win10 Home and, if all else fails, I've found somewhere I can buy a key cheaply.

I may give it another go in the morning trying my Win7 key (fingers, legs and eyes crossed) to see if it works. If not, then I will have to buy a key.

Thanks guys

Keith
Old 3rd June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
That isn't quite correct.
Nigel, are you saying Windows Product Keys are not stored in Bios ? All the available information indicates they are and probably the first location checked by MS during a new install validation.

Jax
Old 3rd June 2019

Quote:
Thanks Jax, Wally and Nigel. All interesting information.

I only need Win10 Home and, if all else fails, I've found somewhere I can buy a key cheaply.

I may give it another go in the morning trying my Win7 key (fingers, legs and eyes crossed) to see if it works. If not, then I will have to buy a key.

Thanks guys

Keith
Keith, just be aware the very cheap keys offered on Ebay etc are usually not for use on an update to Win10 but for a totally brand new installation with no previous Win versions ever installed. Just worth mentioning.

Jax
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jax For This Useful Post:
Keith-369 (3rd June 2019), Wally (3rd June 2019)
Old 3rd June 2019

Quote:
Keith, just be aware the very cheap keys offered on Ebay etc are usually not for use on an update to Win10 but for a totally brand new installation with no previous Win versions ever installed. Just worth mentioning.

Jax
Thanks Jax, I will look into that before I do anything.

Didn't know there was a difference, I thought a Win10 key was a Win10 key regardless of how it is used.

Keith
Old 3rd June 2019

@ Keith & NN: If any of the above fails, there is another avenue to wander down. This link, over the last year or two has proven to be a god-send and, it covers more than just MS products. https://www.howtogeek.com/266072/you...-8-or-8.1-key/

Hopefully it will shed some light at the end of the tunnel?

Old 3rd June 2019

Quote:
Nigel, are you saying Windows Product Keys are not stored in Bios ? All the available information indicates they are and probably the first location checked by MS during a new install validation. Jax
I was always led to believe that the Windows Product Key(s) OS and or Office products and product keys from A N Others, were encrypted and stored deep within the Windows Registery?

I do know that windows can detect the information but didn't think even MS or any other supplier would be able to access the BIOS? If correct, then it is basically another back door to be misused and abused which, in itself, is worrying?

If you're correct, then I've learned something new.

Old 3rd June 2019

Quote:
I was always led to believe that the Windows Product Key(s) OS and or Office products and product keys from A N Others, were encrypted and stored deep within the Windows Registery?

I do know that windows can detect the information but didn't think even MS or any other supplier would be able to access the BIOS? If correct, then it is basically another back door to be misused and abused which, in itself, is worrying?

Not only is the Bios or, as on modern PC's it's now termed UEFI, fully accessible, even the average novice can do it. It is however something not to be messed with unless you have a valid reason for doing so as a mistake can cost you very dearly. Manufacturers often release updates for PC Bios in the same way as other updates are provided and installed. I've had 2 from Lenovo in the 3 yrs I've had one of their laptops.

A quick Google for " PC Bios" will turn up lots of interesting facts and information.

Jax
Old 4th June 2019

Quote:

They are, but if you format, re-partition or replace the hard drive then that information will be lost.

What we are talking about is Microsoft's ability to identify machines where Windows has been previously installed and licenced. My understanding is that Microsoft associates the machine's serial number, MAC address and other data with a previous licensed installation, in which case this data is stored on their servers, but there is no need to write to the BIOS.

The alternative proposed here is that Microsoft's serial number is stored in the BIOS. That may well be possible, and might explain how some OEM machines can have a variety of OS's installed from the OEM installation disks without ever entering an activation code.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4th June 2019

Well, guys.

Here I am ....... on Windows 10. All up and running and for free.

Just to give you a run down of what I did and what happened in the hope it helps someone.

PC running Win7 home on a 500Gb SSD drive.

I thought that it was sensible to get a 1T ssd if I was going to upgrade and that, of course meant that I still had my Win7 safe in case it all went wrong.

I bought a Samsung 1T Evo from Aria for £127.98 delivered.

I used EaseUS Todo free to clone my Win 7 drive to the 1T drive.

I tried a USB drive which I had made, via the 'Windows 10 Media Creation Tool' when the offer of free update to Win 10 was available. That didn't work because it would not accept my Win7 product key.

I then tried making a new USB drive version, again via the 'Media Creation Tool' and upgrading from that. That didn't work because I got the message that Win 10 would not upgrade whilst there was a USB connected to the computer.

I then, this morning, went back to the 'Media Creation Tool' and rather than create a USB or ISO image, I told it to update my computer now.

It only took an hour or so, probably owing to the speed of the SSD, and everything works as it should. I've not yet found a driver which needs replacing or anything not working ... but it's still early days, only been running for an hour at most.

So, there it is. It really was easy and if you are on Win7 then, personally, I'd get it done sooner rather than later just in case M.Soft decide to close the hole for free upgrades.

Hope that is of help to anyone wondering whether to upgrade.

Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith-369 For This Useful Post:
OM USer (4th June 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (4th June 2019)
Old 4th June 2019

Liked 746 Times in 511 Posts

Good news! and I hope you’re seeing it’s not as bad as made out, certainly not now. It wasn’t the best when it came out but was better than 8/8.1
Old 4th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Good news! and I hope youíre seeing itís not as bad as made out, certainly not now. It wasnít the best when it came out but was better than 8/8.1
Thanks.

Apart from a couple of very minor things, it looks and behaves exactly like my Win7 did. All my desktop icons are there, all my favourites in Firefox and Chrome are there, everything in Word,Excel are there and all my emails and folders are there in Outlook. I couldn't be happier at the moment.

There is just one thing that maybe someone can help me with. As I said in my last post, I cloned my 480Gb Kingston SSD onto a Samsung Evo 1Tb SSD. When I click on 'This PC' it shows 'Local Disk C' to be 480Gb and not the 1T of the Samsung now in place. Looking in 'Disk Management' it shows the drive as having 'C' drive the same as the old 480Gb and a further 484.40Gb 'unallocated' How would I allocate that extra to become part of the 'C' drive? I hope that makes sense.

Thanks again everyone
Keith