Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 13th December 2018

Liked 1,687 Times in 1,086 Posts
100 Word Story

To lighten the mood up in The Lounge, how about writing a story of exactly 100 words?

I was asked to do it some years ago and it was quite fun. Here's one of my contributions:

The miner lay trapped in the small void left following the tunnelís collapse. In the coal seam above him, he observed in the light of the candle, the perfect fossil of a huge dragonfly. The candle flame flickered, causing a thousand twinkling lights to be reflected from the coal, so that it seemed that the dragonfly was alive and flying in a starlit sky.
A sifting of dust signalled the imminent total collapse of the chamber, and at the final instant he threw his arms wide, so that he too would be flying with the dragonfly in that eternal night.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Jax (13th December 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
blu-by-u (31st December 2018), drmarkf (16th December 2018), Gate Keeper (14th December 2018), Graham_of_Rainham (14th December 2018), MJ224 (14th December 2018), OM USer (14th December 2018), Otto (14th December 2018), pandora (14th December 2018), peak4 (14th December 2018), The Technician (17th December 2018)
Old 13th December 2018

Liked 285 Times in 187 Posts
Re: 100 Word Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
To lighten the mood up in The Lounge, how about writing a story of exactly 100 words?

I was asked to do it some years ago and it was quite fun. Here's one of my contributions:

The miner lay trapped in the small void left following the tunnelís collapse. In the coal seam above him, he observed in the light of the candle, the perfect fossil of a huge dragonfly. The candle flame flickered, causing a thousand twinkling lights to be reflected from the coal, so that it seemed that the dragonfly was alive and flying in a starlit sky.
A sifting of dust signalled the imminent total collapse of the chamber, and at the final instant he threw his arms wide, so that he too would be flying with the dragonfly in that eternal night.

Jim
That's very good. There's obviously more to your varied talents than meets the eye

Interesting suggestion for a Lounge thread too !

Jax
Old 14th December 2018

Liked 285 Times in 187 Posts

OK. My 2 penneth:

The cavalary soldiers gathered around the smoking camp fires. Sparks dissipating into the cold dark Montana air. Some in silent thought of loved ones at home, Some grabbing a much needed few minutes sleep, others making nervous conversation with comrades. The sound of the distant river could be faintly heard as itís waters rushed and tumbled though the night. Tethered horses hooves pawing restlessly against the hard rocky ground.

Soon the first hint of another day would appear with a glimmer of dawn light on the black horizon. The date is June 25, 1876. The river, The Little Big Horn.

Jax
Graham_of_Rainham (14th December 2018), Jim Ford (14th December 2018), OM USer (14th December 2018), peak4 (14th December 2018), Rebecca (6th January 2019), The Technician (17th December 2018)
Old 14th December 2018

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,494 Posts
Liked 4,379 Times in 1,979 Posts

Quote:
To lighten the mood up in The Lounge, how about writing a story of exactly 100 words? ... Here's one of my contributions: Jim
Hey Jim, you think a story about being entombed in a mine, hundreds of feet underground is mood cheering? Gimme back Brexit!

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Jim Ford (14th December 2018), The Technician (17th December 2018)
Old 14th December 2018

Liked 746 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
Hey Jim, you think a story about being entombed in a mine, hundreds of feet underground is mood cheering? Gimme back Brexit!
Youíve got a point!
Old 14th December 2018

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,419 Times in 1,141 Posts

Impressive stories guys but a 100 word cheerful Brexit story now that is a challenge
Old 14th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Impressive stories guys but a 100 word cheerful Brexit story now that is a challenge
OK, but I'm not particularly pleased with it:

Theresa May fixed each one in turn of the assembled E.U. leaders with an icy stare and whispered the magic words under her breath. One by one they lowered their gaze and raised their hand in assent. It was her final moment of triumph!

The previous day while walking in her local woods, she had met a strange old woman who said to her “You seem troubled my dear”. After she poured out her Brexit woes to the old woman, the old woman whispered in her ear “Just say these magic words to yourself three times ‘Be Strong and Stable’”

Jim
blu-by-u (31st December 2018), Graham_of_Rainham (14th December 2018), OM USer (16th December 2018), pandora (14th December 2018)
Old 14th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
OK. My 2 penneth:

The cavalary soldiers gathered around the smoking camp fires. Sparks dissipating into the cold dark Montana air. Some in silent thought of loved ones at home, Some grabbing a much needed few minutes sleep, others making nervous conversation with comrades. The sound of the distant river could be faintly heard as it’s waters rushed and tumbled though the night. Tethered horses hooves pawing restlessly against the hard rocky ground.

Soon the first hint of another day would appear with a glimmer of dawn light on the black horizon. The date is June 25, 1876. The river, The Little Big Horn.
I like it!

Strangely, I have a link to Sitting Bull who was at, but didn't lead the Battle of Little Big Horn - I've smoked his pipe!

In the 80's the keeper of the pipe at the time - a Dr Jim Gillihan - was invited to a local family that I knew. One day I received a 'phone call from his host, asking if I would like to attend a 'pipe ceremony', which I accepted and took part in.

I've never been able to make up my mind about Jim Gillihan. He was a highly educated man, but believed in what I class as 'mumbo-jumbo'. He'd even taken part in a 'vision quest', in which he had sat on high ground for days and nights without food or shelter, until 'something' spoke to him. In his case the something was a small stone which he kept in a pouch round his neck and which he claimed protected him.

The link below is interesting - particularly the 'cancer cure' part (which he'd related to me).

https://www.fold3.com/page/710-dr-james-gillihan

Jim
Jax (14th December 2018)
Old 14th December 2018

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,419 Times in 1,141 Posts

That's quite a fairy story Jim!
Old 14th December 2018

The Bell banked steeply affording us a breathtaking view of the city lights a few hundred feet below. Luna Park, the Sydney Harbour Bridge, the floodlit sails of the Sydney Opera House. And out of Circular Quay a stream of ferries etched their wakes on the harbor between Manly, Mosman, and Taronga Park. Obviously, we were heading southeast towards the heads.

Natalie adjusted the rotor's pitch as we began descending towards the finger of a high bluff that pointed into the Pacific. Above it, the glittering pendant of the Southern Cross was suspended in the clear night sky. A minute later we were circling an austere sandstone mansion that stood above the cliffs as a sentinel faces the sea. (cont. #11)

The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (16th December 2018)
Old 15th December 2018

Natalie touched down softly beside two other parked helicopters, some fifty yards from the house on a large lawn that from above we could see was just a small part of its grounds. The rotors flickered to a stop, then opening the hatch Natalie sprang to the lawn as nimbly as a cat. Removing her helmet she shook her hair free with a toss of her head, "Welcome to Oceanview folks," she said, as we all climbed out and stretched our legs. "And now, if you are all hot to trot, let's go party shall we!", she grinned. #

MJ224 (15th December 2018), Naughty Nigel (29th December 2018), OM USer (16th December 2018)
Old 15th December 2018

Good story Mark, but I counted 119 words in the first one and 98 in the second.

They have to be exactly 100 words - like this one:

The scientist, his brilliant mind twisted by misfortune, entered the empty control room of the Large Hadron Collider. The machine was operating, but at insufficient power for his purpose. He broke the seal and operated the override to deliver more power - enough to supply a city.
The beam hissed and crackled, and the room writhed and twisted as the very fabric of space-time itself became distorted by the power. And then he saw it - barely visible at first, but growing rapidly. “Let there be Dark!" he screamed insanely, before finally being engulfed by the ever expanding black hole.

Jim
pandora (15th December 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (16th December 2018)
Old 15th December 2018

Liked 736 Times in 492 Posts

Off-topic I know, but I rather like one that is, possibly apocryphally, attributed to Ernest Hemingway. In some sort sort of competition or bet to write a story in 6 words, he is alleged to have written

"For sale: baby shoes. Never worn."

John
Old 15th December 2018

Quote:

They have to be exactly 100 words - like this one:. Jim
Sorry Jim, should have taken the assignment literally. So mine"s disqualified.

Old 15th December 2018

Quote:

They have to be exactly 100 words - like this one:. Jim
Sorry Jim, should have taken the assignment literally. So mine are disqualified.