Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 26th November 2014

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts
Re: Poll on 4/3 Rumors Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
So surely its possible to put a full frame (24x36mm) sensor in a digital body moving it closer to the lens and thereby still able to use the existing mFT lenses or has the design of the mFT fitting boxed itself into a corner such that the dimensions cannot accommodate a large sensor.

The second is while it is probably true that larger sensors give less noise today for how long will this last. Todays less than FF sensors are better at noise than they used to be but so are FF frame sensors. Is the gap in noise performance narrowing?

It may be that we are having this debate because we are now pushing higher and higher ISO's and expecting ISO 100 like noise. When I first came to this forum in 2011 very few were suggesting using anything higher than ISO 400, now one of the first tests folk do with a new camera is test the ISO performance to its limits. Maybe this tells us that ISO and noise are now the main drivers for cameras?
The image circle for a m4/3rds or in fact 4/3rds lens funnily enough fits perfectly for the a 4/3rds sensor. So popping a 35 mm sensor behind a 3/4rds lens is a fruitless exercise. You can however do the reverse as I have done on occasion with my Tokina 300 f/2.8 via an FD to m4/3rds adapter

I think that rather than the apparent clamouring for sensors with low light performance (both my E-M1 and E-M5 do a pretty good job as far as I can tell, particularly when hooked up to faster glass), I think the driver is more to do with an increase in image resolution together with acceptable ISO performance.
Look at the new NX1 for example (APSC of course).

Personally I don't see the big ISO performance issue, even back a few years, you mentioned 2011, I can't remember being concerned using ISO in the range 1600 to 3200.
ISO1000 with an E-5 from 2011

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 26th November 2014

Liked 331 Times in 159 Posts
Re: Poll on 4/3 Rumors Site

That's a "great" image in more ways than one Huw. As good if not better than a lot being shown today. ISO 1000 taken in 2011 dispels my memory. The reason I remember the ISO issue when I first joined I tended to Auto ISO and I thought I remember being advised to limit the ISO to under 400. But maybe that's what age does to your memory when you get to a certain point.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
The Following User Says Thank You to birdboy For This Useful Post:
Greytop (26th November 2014)