Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 19th May 2014
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Re: Helicon Focus Stacking for Landscapes

Interesting and timely thread this John.

I am just about to start experimenting with stacking using Photoshop. Helicon does look good I have to say.

How is it in terms of workflow? I use LR and PS CC so I'm keen to keep my workflow simple and in tune with my existing practice.

cheers

Hec
Old 19th May 2014

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi everyone!

I've been wondering for a while now why this feature isn't included in our cameras? We can bracket for exposure and other things - since the camera controls the focussing, why can't we focus on a near point, refocus on a far point (all on the touch screen at the back) and then let our incredibly powerful cameras decide how many frames it needs to take at our chosen aperture and then give us a stacked image as a jpeg as well as all the RAW files for if we want to play ourselves. I don't think any other manufacturer does this at the moment, so Olympus could have it as a USP, and it should be all possible in software so no major technology redesign costs.

Maybe if Mark is reading this he might pass it up to head office?

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 19th May 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Now that's a nice idea, but I have it in the back of a dusty mind that one manufacturer has or had this feature. Sony is ringing a vague bell. Of course, Lytro have an alternative to focussing already.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 19th May 2014

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The E500 had focus bracketing. Not quite what what Ralph envisages but someone clearly was at least thinking along those lines.
Old 19th May 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
Interesting and timely thread this John.

I am just about to start experimenting with stacking using Photoshop. Helicon does look good I have to say.

How is it in terms of workflow? I use LR and PS CC so I'm keen to keep my workflow simple and in tune with my existing practice.

cheers

Hec
When you download the program there is an option to set it as a plug-in for Lightroom, but sadly not Elements so my workflow will be a bit more labourious. However, selecting pictures is dead easy, just drag and drop and I don't envisage using this for a very high percentage of my images.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 19th May 2014

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meach View Post
The E500 had focus bracketing. Not quite what what Ralph envisages but someone clearly was at least thinking along those lines.
Does it?!? I'll have to dig it out and have a look - if I could set it to do 5 fairly widely spaced focus brackets then that's half the battle already sorted. Would be nice to be able to do it all in camera though!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 19th May 2014

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Does it?!? I'll have to dig it out and have a look - if I could set it to do 5 fairly widely spaced focus brackets then that's half the battle already sorted. Would be nice to be able to do it all in camera though!

Cheers,

Ralph.
If I remember correctly it only does three shots and you have no control over where it focuses. I suspect it was an idea to compensate for focusing error rather than stacking them together. I believe Wrotniak wrote a bit about it but he was unable to work out exactly what was happening - again that's from memory so I shall see what I can dig out.

Update:

I was wrong:

"Focus bracketing: When in manual focus mode (ZD lenses only!), the camera may shoot a sequence of five or seven frames, tweaking the focus a bit from your manual setting. Two different focus step values can be used."

link here: http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e500.html

Last edited by meach; 19th May 2014 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Added a few bits
Old 19th May 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

I took a short series of 4 shots in windy conditions this evening, to test how the software copes with movement. It was predicably bad, with very obvious and horrible artifacts.

I tried combining just two shots, one of the foreground buttercups and one of the background tree. There was an improvement but the image is still unusable.

Which leaves the alternative of a traditional single frame, shot at f16 and obviously compromised by diffraction but still not sharp in the background (I focussed on the foreground flowers.)

It seems that this software will have its uses for landscapes, but only when there is no movement in the frame, be it wind-blown vegitation, clouds or flowing water. I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 19th May 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Interesting that you came up with this conclusion. This afternoon I loaded the same donor images I had used in my experiment earlier ths year with Photoshop. They were taken in flat-calm conditions, so the only "movement" was that of lens focus shift. In PS the software aligned the images perfectly. Today, Helicon gave unacceptable results with obvious haloes on the nearer items. I tried all three blending options, and whilst there was an improvement using, I think, option 3, my conclusion was that PS was better at alignment. Maybe it would be different used on macro subjects, but certainly for landscape focus stacking PS wins.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 19th May 2014

Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts

Looks interesting, so thanks. Halo-ing on the left-hand buttercups maybe in the combined shot ?
Old 19th May 2014

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meach View Post
And the E-330, no?

Piers
Old 20th May 2014
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
When you download the program there is an option to set it as a plug-in for Lightroom, but sadly not Elements so my workflow will be a bit more labourious. However, selecting pictures is dead easy, just drag and drop and I don't envisage using this for a very high percentage of my images.
Thanks for that information John. That sounds like it covers off my workflow issues then. I will stick to testing PS though as I have that and don't particularly want to by more software if I can avoid it.

cheers

hec
Zuiko (20th May 2014)
Old 20th May 2014

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphemy View Post
And the E-330, no?

Piers
I don't know. I've had an E-500 but not an E-330 so I couldn't say.