Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 7th April 2013

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Re: Gwyrne Reservoir walk today

I'm not a big hdr fan, then I keep looking at great hdr images like these and liking them.

The horizons look right to me, if it looks right...........
Old 7th April 2013

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

Belting shots.

I like HDR processing, but they are like Marmite. These work for me, but I would be tempted to reduce the depth of blue, which is a bit overpowering, however the detail brought out in the rocks and other areas is great.

Martin
Old 7th April 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

The great thing about Alf, and indeed Ulfric and several others on this forum, is that they say exactly what they think and whether or not you agree with them it does make you re-examine your work, which in my view is a good thing.

HDR is often not to my taste but John has developed a style and technique which works extremely well for him and I always enjoy seeing examples of his work.

In fact, John, it's great to see you posting again, particularly landscapes, and I very much look forward to seeing some more. You certainly had a cracking walk in the Brecons and the remaining snow coupled with the sunshine was certainly a bonus!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
theMusicMan (8th April 2013)
Old 7th April 2013

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Two very nice pieces of work John, well done.

As to HDR, I look upon them as a rendition of the artists taste and take on the scene.

The same way that I view as art and the photographers rendition, a sunset whose colours I know could not and did not exist at the time of capture, but I do not comment that it has been overcooked when I know it has been.

I'm also guilty myself off processing portraits in a style that could be called not realistic.

But then I have never considered myself a record photographer and like you, prefer to put my own stamp on them, keep being true to yourself your inner artist John.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
The Following User Says Thank You to OlyPaul For This Useful Post:
theMusicMan (8th April 2013)
Old 8th April 2013

Liked 895 Times in 408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
0.5 and 1.1 degrees out by my calculations.
I have looked at John's images and the way that this discussion has gone several times. I thought that someone would say what was in my heart, but they didn't so I will. Late though it now is.

I cannot see a true horizon. Am I alone?

I am a painter, teach art and understand perspective and would not dream of saying that I can judge which of the lines and levels might run parallel to where the true horizon is - especially in such a small image.

Even if they were correct the comments are curt and quite hurtful, and surely shouldn't be made to any photographer in foto fair. It could make many people think twice about sharing anything.

I am sure John can take it - and has shown he can - but others will have watched and may have second thoughts themselves. I myself still come here every day - but now speak very infrequently and post less and less.

As feedback to John I would say I like to see your pictures (and have done for many years) and admire the high standards you achieve, and the beautiful places you show me. But I do miss the bird pictures (ornithological ones!)

regards

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
sponner (8th April 2013)
Old 8th April 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
I have looked at John's images and the way that this discussion has gone several times. I thought that someone would say what was in my heart, but they didn't so I will. Late though it now is.

I cannot see a true horizon. Am I alone?

I am a painter, teach art and understand perspective and would not dream of saying that I can judge which of the lines and levels might run parallel to where the true horizon is - especially in such a small image.

Even if they were correct the comments are curt and quite hurtful, and surely shouldn't be made to any photographer in foto fair. It could make many people think twice about sharing anything.

I am sure John can take it - and has shown he can - but others will have watched and may have second thoughts themselves. I myself still come here every day - but now speak very infrequently and post less and less.

As feedback to John I would say I like to see your pictures (and have done for many years) and admire the high standards you achieve, and the beautiful places you show me. But I do miss the bird pictures (ornithological ones!)

regards

Peter
Hi Peter,

thank you for this post, it raises an important issue which has also been brought to my attention by another member and which I had overlooked.

There are two distinct boards on this forum in which members can post their pictures; Foto Fare and Looking For Improvement. The main purpose of the former (which is where we are right now) is for members to post for non-critical feedback. This can be very useful for novices trying to gain a bit of confidence and experience without the embarrassment of having their pictures ripped apart by more experienced photographers. It can be useful, too, for more experienced photographers to share what they know to be mediocre snaps without any pretence of being excellent. In addition, some photographers may believe their work to be the finished article, achieving exactly what they intended and purely wish to showcase without receiving suggestions or critisism.

Looking For Improvement on the other hand is the place to post if you want honest, straight-talking critique which might range from addressing overall shortcomings in technique and composition to focusing on minute details that could improve an already excellent photograph. To post pictures here you need to be open-minded and receptive to critisism with a desire to learn and improve, rather than just receive plaudits. When offering critique, members should always remain respectful and positive, by offering advice on how to improve an image rather than just remarking upon what is wrong with it.

It's a matter of getting the right balance, of course. Obviously if we choose to always post in Foto Fare then we cannot complain that we never receive detailed critique. Also we don't want comments in Foto Fare to dry up or just become totally bland. I think it is just a case of being aware of which board you are on before posting a reply and tailoring your comments accordingly.

I would strongly encourage all photographers to make use of the Looking For Improvement board more often as it is a fantastic learing and coaching tool. I must include myself in this; too often just lately I've posted in Foto Fare when it has perhaps not been the best place. For example, my recent Flamborough Head walk was best placed in Foto Fare; the pictures were mere snaps and hurried record shots intended purely for sharing my experience of an enjoyable day out. On the other hand, my "We've Got The Power" thread was also in Foto Fare but featured B&W conversions, a technique which I'm very much still learning. Upon reflection Looking For Improvement would have potentially been a far more rewarding board on which to post. Fortunately, Alf did provide me with some honest and constructive feedback which was very much appreciated but the point is that both my opening post and the critique were not really best suited to Foto Fare. I think we can all learn something from this as the Forum continues to evolve and grow.

I will post some reminders about purpose and etiquette on the two boards later when I have a bit more time.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 8th April 2013

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
I think that HDR processed images should not be judged as photos but as a stand-a-lone art form. So one has to judge them disregarding the original scene.
Once you have got to that stage of viewing you can then get into criticizing the result as in preferring the work of Maynard Dixon to Arthur Haddock or to Ed Mell. Google these artists if you do not know of them.
I cannot agree with you at all on this. Art form????
HDR is not unlike what was done in the darkroom albeit on a more limited scale.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 8th April 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
In my experience the forum has always seemed to pride itself in being a friendly, very helpful, polite environment and I'm sure that is the way to progress.

Best regards to all,

John
Hear ! Hear !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 8th April 2013

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I cannot agree with you at all on this. Art form????
HDR is not unlike what was done in the darkroom albeit on a more limited scale.
And yet Man Ray's solarized portraits are considered art.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 8th April 2013

One Mans' Meat another Mans' poison

I just like what I like - no labels required

the ONE photo album
Old 8th April 2013

Liked 378 Times in 110 Posts

To return to the original post and John's pictures - I like them both very much and what a lovely area you have near to your home.

I tried to locate exactly where this is - not exhaustively I might add - and tried to google map it! However I drew a blank but will look out a 'real' map and pinpoint it.

My cousin and her husband are now living in the Brecons - at Waenllapria. We have not been to visit but I think from your post the area you photographed is probably further west.

Regards,
Ann1e
Old 9th April 2013
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1e View Post
To return to the original post and John's pictures - I like them both very much and what a lovely area you have near to your home.

I tried to locate exactly where this is - not exhaustively I might add - and tried to google map it! However I drew a blank but will look out a 'real' map and pinpoint it.

My cousin and her husband are now living in the Brecons - at Waenllapria. We have not been to visit but I think from your post the area you photographed is probably further west.

Regards,
Ann1e
Hi Annie

Here's the google link to the exact spot where we were on the weekend. It's a location called Gwyrne Reservoir, and it is a current working reservoir that is full to the brim, though not full enough that it cascaded over the edge - which was a shame

http://goo.gl/maps/qQHVB

Just in case you were interested, there is a notice on the central building structure in the middle of the wall of the dam that says it is 158' deep/high. You can still see the rather large foundations on hill at the side of the dam where the huge crane was mounted when the dam was being built. To get to the reservoir, you have to park up about 1.5 miles from the base of the dam, as the road then turns into a private road and you cannot get access. Walk straight up the road leading to the reservoir, and you can choose which side of the res to walk up. The right is easier as it is a meandering path being significantly less steep than the hill on the left of the reservoir. We went up the right, and down the left. Still a difficult choice coming down as the snow was 6"-8" deep in places on the hillside.

Beautiful walk tho. Stunning actually. I shall post a few more from my trip shortly if you're interested.

Old 9th April 2013

Yes Please John

the ONE photo album
Old 9th April 2013
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

OK, here's a few more from my recent trip. Not brilliant shots, as I tried to use the B+W ND110 10 stopper for most of the shots, and many didn't work out well. There's a strong colour cast with the B+W 10 stopper that though is usually easy to clear, sometimes it is not so easy to remove the cast and it is prevalent in some of these images.

Here's the view from just off-center of the dam, looking North towards the bothie. You can see the snow remaining on the left leeward side of the hills but is almost gone from the right! As you can see, the wind had died down significantly from previous days and the water was beautifully still.

And here is the view directly behind the previous pic. This has the B+W 10 stopper on the 11-22mm lens and I haven't been able to completely remove the cast. It's not a particularly good shot and some may have seen my 'Fire in the Sky' shot several years ago which was taken from almost the same spot. The path we walked up from where we parked up - you can just about make out - in the snow to the right of the little pump house type building. Also, if you follow the mountain tops to where they meet, you can hopefully see a block of trees - the car is parked up just a little bit further down from that point, so it is a very nice walk to even get to the base of dam.

Here's one I took on the way back down. A long exposure shot of the river/stream as it picks up additional water from the many inlets feeding it from the hills on either side of the valley, and gains momentum. The sounds there are lovely, too. Birds, running water, and nature at its most glorious.

And... a colour version of the same location, but taken just a few feet further down and with a wider perspective. This time again though, the colour cast needs further correction and the image needs additional processing.

Hope these few shots provide you with a taste of the area. Happy to arrange a visit there any time for anyone here in e-group. Just shout, I'd go there again any time

Enjoy!

Old 9th April 2013

ooooh! John I do enjoy that water is beautiful your so skilled and that FIRST one is like a sheet of glass ... " ... still walters, run deep ... " hugs

the ONE photo album