Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 11th February 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: David Busch Camera Guide

Ebooks are obviously the wave of the future, although at present the sales of ebook versions of my own books are minuscule compared to the printed editions. Part of the problem is the folks who remove the DRM and distribute the ebook for free. I have received more than 100 questions from ebook readers of one of my books, even though the book in question sold only five dozen electronic copies to date. With any luck, by the time printed books are gone entirely, I will be retired.

I actually have a contract to write ebook "tips" books for specific cameras, but haven't had time to implement any of them. It's all I can do to keep up with the proper books I need to write for cameras that I love. Right now, I'm hoping that Olympus does not introduce an E-6 until I get caught up!
Old 12th February 2013
Alpha1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre L View Post
Incidentally, I believe another thread has indicated that tethered connections are considered (by Olympus) to be a "pro" feature and are not available for the E-M5 (maybe not even for the E-5?).
The use of wireless flash strobes has tended to isolate the cabled variety and whilst I have never tried it, possibly using the Olympus 'Penpal' may be an alternative to a tethered computer? Another possible use for an iPad?

Whilst I have used hard wired strobes in studio situations on a number of occasions; the use of wireless triggers does free the photographer for more creative use in my opinion. I have only used a camera tethered to a computer once, that was in a fully equipped London studio using a Leica S2 medium format camera with wireless triggered strobes.

However, as an outdoor hand held photographer, I found that damned tethering cable a menace! The S2 is a horrendously expensive, superb piece of camera engineering, ideal for handholding which frees up studio work, then you are anchored by the computer cable......aaagh!

It was good to immediately see the captured image on a 32" hooded screen though!
Old 12th February 2013

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

David, do you know if it is possible to shoot the EM5 tethered, controlling the camera from a laptop / android tablet?

I am already using it it tethered to check the shot after its taken but have found no way of using live view control from camera to screen via either cable or wireless tether
Old 12th February 2013
Alpha1

No, I didn't know that Brian. Well that adds another possibility to using this incredible little camera. In that case one could presumably use the camera to computer cable and leave the hotshoe for wireless flash control to use it in a studio environment?
Old 12th February 2013

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

Dave, I found that using the video output cable (not the HDMI) to the USB port on my ASUS transformer gives me the cable download of the image - after its taken but I'm now using the EY-FI pro 16gb card in the studio, shooting JPG + RAW (but only downloading the JPG files) to check for errors such as lighting hot-spots, smudged makeup, bra-strap showing etc and also to get a feel for the composition as I shoot. Download is fast and so long as the camera is stopped from going into sleep mode, consistent

I'd love to be able to shoot properly tethered as I could with my canon system though, having total control of the camera via a larger screen is one thing I do miss having gone to the EM-5