Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 8th July 2012

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts
Re: OMD Aftermarket Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfarquhar View Post
The first Expro battery lasted 320 shots. The second about 490. I can't complain at that, and I think the Olympus battery would have had similar performance. So for 10 each the batteries seem to represent good value
Unless you changed the JPEG setting between batteries, it might be due to less use of other power-consuming features of the camera with the seond battery.
Old 11th July 2012

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

Thanks for all your suggestions re: using the ExPro batteries in the EM5.
Mine arrived today, one fit the battery grip perfectly but the other was a tad tight. Careful application of a bit of "wet & dry" removed the excess (fractions of a millimetre) and it now slides in and out as smooth as silk. Both batteries are charged (its a funny little charger isn't it) and the first has had a quick trial along the local harbour-side. All seems well so far.
Old 11th July 2012
Codger

Liked 105 Times in 45 Posts

I also received my Expro charger and battery today!

The battery seems to charge OK and fits the grip with no problem. Will give it a good bashing at the weekend. If it works out OK I will probably order another battery soon.

Being able to charge batteries in the car is a useful bonus feature.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 16th July 2012

Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts

Received 2 plus the duel charger from Expro via Amazon today......on charge now.
Old 16th July 2012
SteelD

I also ordered an Inov8 battery before I ordered my cheapies. It's expensive at about 27 but it's a make stocked by Maplin in their High Street stores so I'm hoping that the quality is going to be reasonable if it's good enough for them. I had a mail from Amazon yesterday saying that the battery had shipped so it will be with me soon.

So, I'll have three spare batteries and I have three 16 Gb SDHC cards. That should be enough for a lot of shooting on a 2 week holiday!
Old 16th July 2012

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

I've given both my new batteries a good work out now and they seem to hold charge well. I've just come back from a shoot with 240 images (each saved as JPG + RAW) and the meter still shows more than 50% charge, a fair bit of "Chimping" there as well.

The one I "adjusted" the thickness off continues to be an excellent fit into the grip. So far they look like good value for money
The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
George Dorn (16th July 2012)
Old 16th July 2012
SteelD

When I got home from work, the battery was waiting for me. Like all the other third-party batteries, it doesn't work in the Olympus charger despite claiming to be "100% Compatible with original battery". Luckily, I ordered the charger for the cheaper batteries I already have and it charges in that. The battery comes with a 2 year guarantee and claims to have "Built in safety circuit - preventing battery damage" - I'm more concerned about camera damage!
Old 7th August 2012

Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,450 Posts
Liked 1,448 Times in 925 Posts

Just had 2 weeks away with 4 ExPro batteries (kept the Olympus in reserve). I used 2 (now on 3rd) and got over 500 hundred shots from each. This was on the second charge for each as I drained both batteries playing with the menu system when I first got them and to check that the camera shows correct battery level.

As no batteries seem to come with a simple plastic tab that you can flip over to indicate full/empty I am using a sheet of sticky green circles - stick one on the top when you charge it, move it to the back when you put it in the camera (so you don't forget to move it when you take the battery out!). That way I can count how many re-charge cycles the battery has going through by counting the sticky circles on the back and see if the number of shots is going up/down.

All 4 batteries fit smoothly into the camera and battery grip.
Old 16th August 2012

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I purchased a couple of ExPro batteries from Amazon.co.uk and, like others, found them a little tight in the HLD-6 - the one only very marginally so and therefore nothing to worry about, but the other quite a fiddle to get out. Wanting some more batteries before I go on holiday, I ordered some from eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1209473874...ht_3506wt_1114 . Unlike many items described as 'UK Stock' these must have been as I ordered them late Monday night and received them in the post this morning (Thursday). They were individually packed in small Jiffy bags. I ordered four and all of them slip in and out of the HLD-6 with great ease. Unlike the ExPro which are rated at 7.2V & 1220mAh, have a legend against three of the terminals and a blue band at the bottom of the larger label, these are rated at 7.4V & 1600mAh, have a legend against all five terminals and no blue band. When I've had time to test them out I'll report back.