Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 13th August 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Re: Panasonic G3 +14-42, 45-200

Paul I'm guessing you didn't have a G1 or G2 before this?

I've recently heard a couple of mentions of the G3 EVF which sound a trifle disappointing, as if it is either downgraded in some way from the G1/G2/GH1 or that the GH2 has a better one.
I really need to peer through one side-by side with this G1...
Old 13th August 2011
Kiwi Paul

The G3 is absolutely brilliant, the more I use it the more I like it, I've customized the settings to suit my style and it a real pleasure to use now. It's just the right size, it's light, red lol and with the Oly m4/3 9-18 and 14-150 lenses is a really versatile kit. The image quality is fine. Unfortunately LR3 still doesn't support it so I have to use Silky pics to view the RAW then convert them to tif format to be able to edit them in LR3.
The EVF is brilliant, large (bigger then the E5) and bright with lots of info displayed and you can select various compositional grids if you want too. The screen is fully articulated and is a touch screen making soooo easy to select things from the menu.
This is one camera where they have got it just right, I'm really pleased.

I'll add the 20mm f1.7 or most likely the m4/3 25mm f1.4 lens when it is released later this month too.

I have no regrets moving from 4/3 to m4/3 it just suit my current style better.

Paul
Old 13th August 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Glad to hear you like it. The 20mm is a really nice lens to use - and it's good value for money.

Just be prepared for expensive batteries. Unlike Olympus, Panasonic seem to bring out a new battery for every new body. And they put traps in the firmware to prevent 3rd party batteries from working properly.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 14th August 2011
Kiwi Paul

The G3 is the only G series camera I've had.
The viewfinder seems absolutely fine to me, if your concerned then try before you buy would be the best bet.

Paul
Old 14th August 2011

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Just be prepared for expensive batteries. Unlike Olympus, Panasonic seem to bring out a new battery for every new body. And they put traps in the firmware to prevent 3rd party batteries from working properly.
I thought the G3 used the same battery as the GF2. I see that 7dayshop are selling a reasonably priced Inov8 battery for the GF2 so I had assumed this would be ok in the G3 as well. Or do they put a different trap in the firmware for each model?
Old 14th August 2011
Kiwi Paul

Yeah I saw when trying to buy a spare battery on Amazon all the comments about that so I picked a cheapish replacement that a couple of folk said worked, it will arrive next week so I'll find out.

Paul
Old 15th August 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyb View Post
I thought the G3 used the same battery as the GF2. I see that 7dayshop are selling a reasonably priced Inov8 battery for the GF2 so I had assumed this would be ok in the G3 as well. Or do they put a different trap in the firmware for each model?
Must confess I don't know about the G3/GF2. But shortly after the G1 was introduced they issued a "fix" to prevent it accepting 3rd party batteries. Fortunately battery manufacturers soon got round that one.

But as yet it's not possible to buy a 3rd party battery for the GH2 which shows power remaining.

My Flickr site
Old 30th August 2011

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts

Joined the G3 set would like to source a second battery. The Panasonic ones are expensive. I have been told other makes work just as well but Panasonic have disabled the battery meter if these are used; are there any out there which are fully functional at a sensible price? Paul did list one but they were out of stock.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 30th August 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Until such time as fully-functioning 3rd party batteries are available (I've heard of some in the US), I suggest we do what I did with my GH2 until I got a genuine one at a good price, that is, use a cheap 3rd party as an "emergency" battery only, putting it in only until the "real" battery is recharged then replacing it until next time.

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Wee man (30th August 2011)
Old 30th August 2011
Kiwi Paul

I bought mine through Amazon, or rather one of the stores that are listed on Amazon, I bought from a company where there were good reviews from previous purchasers regarding the battery and got lucky as mine does read the battery level, I was going to buy another but as you say they have no more in stock, so just search on Amazon and buy from a company with good reviews.

Paul
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
meach (6th September 2011), StephenL (30th August 2011), Wee man (30th August 2011)