Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work

Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work This board concentrates on topics that explore the potential of your photography being seen by a wider audience and even earning you some money.

Old 2nd June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts
Re: Making it pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
John I keep my "stock" in HIGH SIDED boxes - because if Peeps are looking through stock, they will inadvertantly apply pressure to the front cards, long ago thumbed thro - shallow shoe boxes mean the front cards are bent forwards AND UNSALEABLE STOCK !

My FAV shoe boxes are for CAT Boots ! they take A6 & A5 portrait or landscape cards shoe shops will happily keep a few boxes for you in a week

ALSO I PREFER to display a selection in a fan shape on the table top; and a few "empty" sample cards - I sell mostly "white linen because it feels QUALITY & NOT CHEAP =like my cards " with walbums of all the Photos in Cards for them to thumb over (these do not get sticky/ruined as they are in little PVC sleeves - if there is a backdrop I can hang these up - one for portrait photos flowers; one for landscape photos of object; one for animals local wildlife; one for animals zoo etc .,

http://www.photobox.co.uk/shop/prints/walbum
Chevvy, I was thinking along similar lines, most the stock in boxes but with samples arranged on the table and also displayed in a three tier wire rack. A few larger size mounted and framed prints as examples, a browser full of mounted only prints and an album of 8x6 prints to serve as a catalogue for print orders. Plus, of course, a few of the "Light Fantastic" books on display for which I can take orders.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 2nd June 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Chevvy, I was thinking along similar lines, most the stock in boxes but with samples arranged on the table and also displayed in a three tier wire rack. A few larger size mounted and framed prints as examples, a browser full of mounted only prints and an album of 8x6 prints to serve as a catalogue for print orders. Plus, of course, a few of the "Light Fantastic" books on display for which I can take orders.

My local printer has cards in "a tree" and all the front ones are damages/unsaleable!

I do not frame - frames are "too personal" and Peeps want a print price no frame !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 2nd June 2011
Administrator

Here's some pics of the gallery where my exhibition will be held. I'll have exclusive use of the main room, plus I may be able to overspill a few into the upstairs landing gallery.

http://www.dunmowartgallery.co.uk/about/

Here's the outside of the building, which is the office of a solicitor who kindly accomodates the gallery in the rooms he does not use.

http://www.dunmowartgallery.co.uk/contact/

It costs me nothing to stage the exhibition, although I do pay commission on any sales and I am part of a pool of volunters who mind the gallery on a rota basis throughout the year.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 2nd June 2011
Administrator

Quote:

I do not frame - frames are "too personal" and Peeps want a print price no frame !
That's a good point, I was planning to display a few as examples, get a few sample mouldings and mounts from my framer and offer the option of print only, mounted print, or mounted and framed to order. Do you think it best not to offer the framed option?

Old 2nd June 2011

Liked 260 Times in 121 Posts

You could make it pay as a hobby, but not as a living.

Motorsport! Riders/Drivers love nothing more than a picture of themselves riding or racing.

You could set up a laptop on the parcel shelf of your car with a simple slide show running of previous meetings you had attended and your mobile phone number on a piece of card next to it.

Motocross riders and racing drivers are worth a small fortune, 5 for a 6x4 print 12.50 A4 17.00 A3 Mouse mats 7.50, Mugs a tenner!

You could take payment at the meeting, customer contact details and then only order what you had sold and post it on using the customers name and address as the delivery address at point of order.

For 30 you could concentrate on one rider for one race and supply 10 6x4 prints inclusive. Undoubtedly they would then order extras.

It could even be free to get an announcement over the tannoy saying that you were there taking pictures.

Local club run events would be best, they all know each ther extremely well and word of mouth spreads quickly!

You could set up a simple website, like this one, www.timmypreston.co.uk which you could get linked to all the local clubs, you could get some free business cards printed from vistaprint and give them to riders whilst wandering round the pits during the intervals.

You could also offer mugs, mouse mats etc etc as long as you stay in touch with your offers from the supplier (eg Snapfish) there is money to be made.

If i were looking to make money I would try event photography where you can sell items you don't have in stock but people can see what they will be getting straight away?

SR4 (1) by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Rooster! (2) by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

P1010354 by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Crude but simple, no overheads, no stock, pre sales, cash in hand, not even handling the product. You have your target market the second you press the shutter release, give him a tap on the shoulder at the end of the race, Bobs your uncle!

Look out for the kids races

P1010122 by Tim J Preston, on Flickr
Which proud parent wouldn't want a picture of their kid!

How many riders?

P1010046 by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Then there is 12-16 races a day, you do the maths! No one is relying on you, if you don't turn up one day its your loss not theirs.

I imagine if you did this you could buy a 70-300mm, an EC14, a monopod and a tripod after just a couple of meetings.

It is very seasonal, you have to be confident to approach people and you have to know what shots the riders like!

Thats what I would try

Tim
Old 2nd June 2011
Administrator

Thanks for that post, Tim, it's a useful and facinating example of yet another niche market that most of us just don't consider. I've been to the occasional event but never thought to approach the riders. Presumably a shot like this could pay?

Mind you, from the excellent samples you've posted and the many others on your site (well worth a look guys) I think I might need a little practice first!

Old 2nd June 2011

Liked 260 Times in 121 Posts

That would sell definately, it is a niche market, thats why it works. I imagine.

Drivers are easy to approach as club events nearly always have open pits. Vehicles are distinctive as are riders helmets/overalls so they are easy to find.

The website could be a dummy really, it would only contain pics you had already sold so you would not have to monitor enquiries from it or protect the images, all extra hassle.
Old 2nd June 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmypreston View Post
That would sell definately, it is a niche market, thats why it works. I imagine.

Drivers are easy to approach as club events nearly always have open pits. Vehicles are distinctive as are riders helmets/overalls so they are easy to find.

The website could be a dummy really, it would only contain pics you had already sold so you would not have to monitor enquiries from it or protect the images, all extra hassle.
Definitely food for thought here, Tim, thank you.

Old 3rd June 2011

Quote:
That's a good point, I was planning to display a few as examples, get a few sample mouldings and mounts from my framer and offer the option of print only, mounted print, or mounted and framed to order. Do you think it best not to offer the framed option?
John, Looking at the Gallery photos, I think you do need to do as you planned - it is what others exhibiting do ! and what your public expects? AND the CARD TREE is a proper one with high wire support so cards thumbed thro should not get bent

I have NEVER exhibited in a gallery and that is a very different environment to a Fete stand !

I have/and do buy "prints" from car boot sales here in and around Winchester/Hampshire/Surrey ... for the Frames ! sometimes I pay 50p for A3 print frames. I have a few paints, black, gold, silver, pale pampas green, beige and cream - for the frames and MOUNTS ! which I recycle, I have difficulty throwing Art away, ... I insert a plain white or cream sheet and *thin foam, before my print - clean the glass well, so I leave the print as backing to mine

(*thin foam, as used under laminate flooring - keeps the picture "tight" in the frame/mount - I do not like sticking things down )

the ONE photo album
Old 3rd June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmypreston View Post

Timmy your a 5 STAR at the Motorsports togging FANTASTIC SHOTS EVERY ONE ! ... and absolutely right "its a numbers game to 's PROFIT"

In the past I have done cars/racing back in the 1960's-80's hobby that paid some !; Equestrian, Eventing, Show Jumping, Dressage and Team Chasing - as they were my sports up until knackered knees in 2002. Now its for "me and my stock cards" !

I did have a website, and only loaded small exif jpegs 90% shots - I sometimes deliberately put a dark area to cover critical detail ! so that "save as" thiefs got only duffers! NOW no website, just freebie galleries and local business !

At the end of the day, its my hobby and yesterday I spent the best part of 3 hours in the garden, camera mounted on Benbo Tripod (1 leg in the raised flow bed shorter than the other two, down on the ground); holding the remote shutter in my hand - waiting for the Bumble Bees ! NOW if I was so busy with a tog business, I would not have the time to really enjoy - the birds and sky about me as I waited, relaxed!

the ONE photo album
Old 3rd June 2011
Administrator

Quote:
John, Looking at the Gallery photos, I think you do need to do as you planned - it is what others exhibiting do ! and what your public expects? AND the CARD TREE is a proper one with high wire support so cards thumbed thro should not get bent

I have NEVER exhibited in a gallery and that is a very different environment to a Fete stand !

I have/and do buy "prints" from car boot sales here in and around Winchester/Hampshire/Surrey ... for the Frames ! sometimes I pay 50p for A3 print frames. I have a few paints, black, gold, silver, pale pampas green, beige and cream - for the frames and MOUNTS ! which I recycle, I have difficulty throwing Art away, ... I insert a plain white or cream sheet and *thin foam, before my print - clean the glass well, so I leave the print as backing to mine

(*thin foam, as used under laminate flooring - keeps the picture "tight" in the frame/mount - I do not like sticking things down )
Ah, the gallery is for a one-off exhibition in February and will be very different from the fete stall I'm proposing. For inside events it willl be whatever space they allow me, for outdoor events I'll have a 3sqm cream gazebo with panels on three sides, "banquet" style table, a table top 3 tier wire display rack and a free standing print browser. If I do display a few sample framed prints I'll need to add a few easels or some method of hanging from the framework of the gazebo.

It's pretty much early days with trial and error at the moment and it would simplify things if I didn't attempt to display framed prints.

Old 3rd June 2011
ndl0071

John, Chevvyf1 raises a good point about frames, when I first started selling FA prints to keep costs low I used budget Neilson frames, the ones with plastic fronts instead of glass but these scratched very easily and customers didn't want them so I upgraded the frames to a nice polished metal frame with glass fronts at a medium price point but guess what? Customers then didn't want to pay for the extra quality
My experience and advice would be to just sell either mounted or unmounted prints and let the customer worry about framing, (frames seem to be such a personal thing) this approach has been quite successful (and cheaper) since learning the lesson.
Hope this helps.
Old 3rd June 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndl0071 View Post
John, Chevvyf1 raises a good point about frames, when I first started selling FA prints to keep costs low I used budget Neilson frames, the ones with plastic fronts instead of glass but these scratched very easily and customers didn't want them so I upgraded the frames to a nice polished metal frame with glass fronts at a medium price point but guess what? Customers then didn't want to pay for the extra quality
My experience and advice would be to just sell either mounted or unmounted prints and let the customer worry about framing, (frames seem to be such a personal thing) this approach has been quite successful (and cheaper) since learning the lesson.
Hope this helps.
Hi Neil, from what you and Chevvy have said I think I can forget about offering framed prints at the fetes and that will simplify things for me. Thanks.

Old 3rd June 2011

Quote:
Ah, the gallery is for a one-off exhibition in February and will be very different from the fete stall I'm proposing. For inside events it willl be whatever space they allow me, for outdoor events I'll have a 3sqm cream gazebo with panels on three sides, "banquet" style table, a table top 3 tier wire display rack and a free standing print browser. If I do display a few sample framed prints I'll need to add a few easels or some method of hanging from the framework of the gazebo.

It's pretty much early days with trial and error at the moment and it would simplify things if I didn't attempt to display framed prints.
Gazebo is GREAT ! you can hang a wire from corner to corner and hang prints from this and the walbums too ! great stuff ... as this draws more attention that a flat display on a tabletop (latter only seen by thos walking by close !)

Vista Print Banners are good and can hang from corner to corner at the back and/or sides of your gazebo ... or their window stickers - A3 size (you can always stick them on whiteboard to make a name display card for you stand !)

the ONE photo album
Old 4th June 2011

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

I've been following this thread with great interest as I've personally found nearly all of it to be accurate and correct. Even when various posts have conflicting opinions.

Our experience has led us to believe that the most important thing to consider is your target clientele.
For instance at local Craft Fairs, Fetes, and Agricultural Shows we don't take large framed images, similarly we do not put many large framed prints in most 'galleries'. Why? Because our main buyers are visitors. If they have the disposable income to spend 450 + on a framed print they probably came by air and won't be able to get it back on the plane. (We do not ship framed prints. Ever.) If they came by car they probably have little room anyway. As for families that arrive by car, they definitely do not have room for a 32" x 27" framed print. To be fair most families do not have the disposable income especially nowadays to make a large impulse buy.
At these kind of outlets we market mounted prints up to 20 x 16 and greeetings cards. These sell well and occassionally we might sell a 20 x 16 framed print, say island wide about four a week.
Like Chevvy we use three fold aperture cards which we have made for us in a linen finish and print our images on Ilford Gallerie Pearl. Total cost of product including cellophane bag and envelope et al 60p (I will gladly show anyone at the Highland meet some samples) SRP 2.00 to 2.60 per card.
One of the things we have found is that once you start attending a few craft fairs and people see the quality of your work some surprising things happen.
(a) You get invited to others well before a general announcement is made.
(b) We are often approached to attend these events at reduced rates and on the understanding that no other photographers are attending as sellers.
Believe it or not organisers get asked if so and so will be attending because members of the public want to buy their product. Thats when you know you've got it right.

OK then onto the higher end of the market. We are very fortunate to be asked to display work at several Highland Art Fairs. Here is where the big money can be earned. Almost everyone who comes through the door is either there by invite or has seen the advertising, they are qualified buyers and are prepared to spend four five six hundred pounds on a single image, even more on original paintings. Last year our next door stall holder at a middle rate event sold 6k's worth of oil paintings.

On average we sell three or four large framed prints, about a dozen small framed prints 20 x 16 and our 60cm Square framed prints usually get into double figures. Reckon on selling anything from 15 - 60 mounted prints of various sizes. Greetings cards maybe a dozen, maybe.
Our experience with framing is keep it simple. Plain neutral coloured frames will always sell. Mounts, we use archival quality double mounts and wrap most mounted prints individually in cellophane with nicely presented and folded corners etc.

Using an Epson 4800 wide format printer and Ilford Gold Fibre Silk paper and a custom profile we cut down on waste. I'm ashamed and embarrassed to tell you how much profit we make on mounted prints ( no, I'm not really) but it is very lucrative. Bear in mind that we have to make our money during the 'season' as in the winter hardly anything at all sells.

So as you can see choose your events/ outlets wisely, study your market and aim squarely at what they want/can afford. Lastly don't get hurt feelings if the images that you love and are very proud of don't sell. Be prepared for the general public to like, admire and most importantly buy what you wouldn't.
Any further questions please feel free to ask.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seonnaidh For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (4th June 2011), sponner (4th June 2011), Zuiko (4th June 2011)