Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 21st June 2019

Liked 1,684 Times in 1,084 Posts
Psychiatry?

My partner had a traumatic childhood, which caught up with her later in life (but before I met her).

She was referred to a psychiatrist. When she went, the psychiatrist sat there waiting for my partner to 'open up', which she couldn't. After half an hour, the psychiatrist said that the time was up and the 'session' ended. This happened every weekly visit for a year, without any progress!

Is this normal in psychiatry? Surely if a strategy wasn't working, the psychiatrist would try another? In medicine, if a patient has an infection that doesn't respond to one antibiotic, the treatment would be changed until one works.

Jim
Old 21st June 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,503 Times in 2,140 Posts
Re: Psychiatry?

That does seem very strange; also a complete waste of time and money with no benefit to the patient!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 23rd June 2019

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

It's very complicated Jim, I have known several people who have had psychiatric/psychological treatment, my wife included, and also spent a bit time with a psychologist acquantaince.

It's a long long time since I did a some psychology at university, and things have changed drastically, but so far as I can see psychiatrists are still at the stage of giving a name to symptoms and treating them, whilst psychologists beaver away at trying to understand the underlying cause of the conditions.

My wife suffers from anxiety and when it became too much she was treated both at an outpatient psychiatric unit to alleviate the symptoms and saw a psychologist to try and identify the underlying causes of her condition. Both were successful in that her life is much easier now, although the beast never goes away.

What you describe with your partner sounds like the psychological sessions my wife underwent. I'm surprised they were so protracted, but who knows - perhaps some people suddenly do "open up" after a long period. Probably worth a second opinion though, I'm sure there are other techniques more suited to her, like group therapy (easier said than done though, unless you're prepared to pay, and that opens up a whole can of quacks)

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 24th June 2019

Liked 1,684 Times in 1,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
My wife suffers from anxiety and when it became too much she was treated both at an outpatient psychiatric unit to alleviate the symptoms and saw a psychologist to try and identify the underlying causes of her condition. Both were successful in that her life is much easier now, although the beast never goes away.
Thanks for the post, John.

My partner suffers also from anxiety but has improved since I met her - though she says that she still always wakes up in the morning tense inside. I believe that she also suffers from low self esteem. She was prescribed diazapam but doesn't take them now. She carries them 'just in case'. Her art helps her a great deal. It seems to go back to her childhood - East Prussian refugee, illness and a bitter, unsympathetic and severe father.

I hope that your wife continues making an improvement.

Jim
The Following User Liked This Post:
jdal (24th June 2019)
Old 24th June 2019

Liked 3,794 Times in 1,754 Posts

Good luck to both families.....

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ224 For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (24th June 2019)
Old 4th July 2019

Liked 570 Times in 258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
My partner had a traumatic childhood, which caught up with her later in life (but before I met her).

She was referred to a psychiatrist. When she went, the psychiatrist sat there waiting for my partner to 'open up', which she couldn't. After half an hour, the psychiatrist said that the time was up and the 'session' ended. This happened every weekly visit for a year, without any progress!

Is this normal in psychiatry? Surely if a strategy wasn't working, the psychiatrist would try another? In medicine, if a patient has an infection that doesn't respond to one antibiotic, the treatment would be changed until one works.

Jim
Hi Jim, my apologies, I have just seen this. I worked in forensic psychiatry in Hackney for 8 years and for 3 years I ran a psychodynamic group for psychiatric in-patients at the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead, under the supervision of the Tavistock and Portman NHS Clinic. I have a fairly good insight into these therapeutic session your partner endured. What a waste of a year for her and how disappointing for you both. She would have benefited from a different approach. The fact she put up a wall is part of the problem in facing up to her past or not being able to see it or bond with the therapist. Its a shame the psychiatrist was not able to break through this and get to the root of the trouble. You could ask to be referred to the Portman Clinic NHS Foundation Trust for an assessment and take it from there, Google them.

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
The Following User Says Thank You to Gate Keeper For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (5th July 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
jdal (4th July 2019)