Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 8th October 2008
dennisg

Question Creation of a standard RAW file format for all camera manufacturers.

To all,

I use a photo editing software package ( the brand is not an important issue here) and at this time I cannot open RAW files from my E520 but can from my E500. I called technical services at the software company three or four times within the last three months and they have not addressed this issue and since I was the only one with an Olympus camera asking for this, they don't have this on their priority list. Thus only JPEGS can be edited from my E520. The issue here is NOT the camera or software brand. The issue is ALL of the non standard RAW file formats.

To this end, I would suggest that a standard like JPEG be establihed and agreed to by all of the major camera manufacturers and thus the updates for this can be laid to rest for RAW FILE Formats. When used film, if you used Agfa, Fuji, and Kodak the C41 process would develop all of these film brands. Or you could use the brand name's process. Thus when you brought film into a lab, they could do it no matter what the film or processing. It may be better to use the respective process, but you got great results anyway.

So with this said, why can we NOT do this with Digital RAW Film Formats? It would probably cut down on the cost at the manufacturer of each camera brand and standardize the file format. This way when it changes, everyone changes to the new standard. Like DIN or ASA standard. And last, everyone no matter what brand would be addressed.

What do ya all think about this and how can we as forum push this through this forum?

Dennis G
Old 8th October 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Creation of a standard RAW file format for all camera manufacturers.

Adobe has already tried this with the DNG standard, which so far has only been adapted by a couple of manufacturers. The next probable candidate for developing a standard would be Microsoft.
I agree with your concerns. Why should RAW for an E-520 be different from RAW for an E-510, for instance?

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 8th October 2008
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

There's also the interim route of using the (free) Adobe converter - forgotten its name - to read your RAW files and convert to DNG and on-process from there. I expect the converter is based on ACR - but I think they keep it updated as new camera models appear.

Not sure whether DNG will prove stable as a long-term storage format.
Old 8th October 2008
ndl0071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Bowman View Post
Not sure whether DNG will prove stable as a long-term storage format.
Gulp! I hope so, as part of my workflow I always convert to DNG, I remember reading earlier this year that this format was likely to be the one that most if not all manufacturers would follow, I suppose you never know though whats going to be the next 'in thing'.

Neil
Old 8th October 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

A good point, but you still have to rely on the DNG converter to be able to read all RAW formats, which it cannot at the moment. For instance, it cannot read my Panny LX3 files.

My Flickr site
Old 8th October 2008
geirsan

I have the same problem, but they're working at it at iView. It really was a frustration, since my five year work with cataloguing my images quickly became useless with my E3.
I tried converting to DNG for a while, but found it a silly solution. I ended up with cagaloguing in Lightroom 1.4 and image processing in Aperture 2.1. It works, but isn't an ideal solution.
Old 8th October 2008
Makonde

It's a worry. Once I have a finalised keeper I tend to save a copy as a regular tiff. I reckon that's as likely to survive as .txt and .rtf for documents.

I don't think Adobe's DNG is catching on. Neither are jpeg 2000 or 16-bit tiffs as truly widespread and application-independent formats.
Old 8th October 2008
dennisg

Exclamation Re: Creation of a standard RAW file format for all camera manufacturers.

My belief on this is that the standard should NOT be per a software company's standard. If that company no longer exists, then we are all up the river. It is a stndard like DIN, ASA, ISO 9000 that sets the standard and that is where it should be. The camera manufacturers have to take this on and then agree on a "Common" standard that all of the players can agree on. We, as the ultimate customer, get caught up in this mess and then we buy all kinds of work-arounds to beat the system. Photography should be a pleasurable hobby and these issues should be resolved by the ones providing us with equipment.

Let's keep the volley going!

Thanks!
Old 8th October 2008
Fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
A good point, but you still have to rely on the DNG converter to be able to read all RAW formats, which it cannot at the moment. For instance, it cannot read my Panny LX3 files.
The same thing bedevils me. And as far as I can see they're .RW2 files. At least Silkypix SE which is included here in the US can read LX3 raw. If not I'd be angry (well more than angry) as when I got the LX3 I didn't RTM before I went out for a test run. And when I came back I was not happy to see ACR couldn't deal with them. But I do really like the LX3 as pocket camera.

Steve
Old 8th October 2008

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts

What about Trellis Inc's new XDepth RAW. Promises best-of-both worlds JPEG and RAW.

See http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2008...aw-how-ab.html
Old 8th October 2008
dennisg

Thumbs up Re: Creation of a standard RAW file format for all camera manufacturers.

I spoke to the representative who will be at the Photo Expo East here in New York City and I have an appointment to see him and a demo of xDepth. So I will report back.

The way the software works, you do whatever you need to do to your RAW files, and then save it as a JPEG in xDepth. It will reduce the file size by 75%, 10 Megs=2.5 Megs when done. Then you can send the file via an email, CD-ROM to whomever and they can view it as a JPEG with no loss in quality and resolution. The only one that can open it back to the full RAW format is the party who owns xDepth. Here you can go back in a do some more file adjustments.

From what I was told, it will become a stand-alone and a plug-in and will be of no charge to the end user. Got to see that to believe it! Nevertheless, this sounds very exciting and promising. Stay tuned for more updates.

On another note, I just purchased Acdsee's Pro v2.5 software online. They will support all Olympus cameras and will be adding the E520 by the end of October. Thus the E500,510,520,420, and E3 are supported. There are a slew of others that I have not mentioned here. It cost $129 and it downloaded in thirty seconds via a cable modem. Updates are free of charge also. I installed and it cataloged my files. I will play with it over the next several days to get the feel of it. This weekend I am going out to a Dressage competition and will be taking some RAW and some fine JPEGS and then put the software through its motions. Will report back on this as well.

DG
Old 11th October 2008

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisg View Post
On another note, I just purchased Acdsee's Pro v2.5 software online. They will support all Olympus cameras and will be adding the E520 by the end of October. Thus the E500,510,520,420, and E3 are supported. There are a slew of others that I have not mentioned here. It cost $129 and it downloaded in thirty seconds via a cable modem. Updates are free of charge also. I installed and it cataloged my files. I will play with it over the next several days to get the feel of it. This weekend I am going out to a Dressage competition and will be taking some RAW and some fine JPEGS and then put the software through its motions. Will report back on this as well.

DG
I use that program as well for digital asset managment and although it does not yet support E-420 and E-520 orfs it does support any DNG raw files from them that have been converted by the currant Adobe DNG converter, now thats a close to a universal raw format supported by none camera manafacturer software companies that you are going to get.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 13th October 2008
dennisg

Thumbs up Re: Creation of a standard RAW file format for all camera manufacturers.

Good news, an upgrade will be available by the end of October that will include the support for RAW files from the E520 and E420. Just go to their site or if you are registered end user, you should be gtting auto update notifications to you email mailbox.

I will be setting up a gallery on SmugMug in November and then I will send a link to all on the user group to view.

Do you use and like the editing tools in Acdsee 2.5?

Dennis G
Old 17th October 2008

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisg View Post
Good news, an upgrade will be available by the end of October that will include the support for RAW files from the E520 and E420. Just go to their site or if you are registered end user, you should be gtting auto update notifications to you email mailbox.

I will be setting up a gallery on SmugMug in November and then I will send a link to all on the user group to view.

Do you use and like the editing tools in Acdsee 2.5?

Dennis G
No not really Dennis, I only use it for managing images and prefere to use CS3 or Elements 6 for raw conversion and editing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 9th October 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

Yes, Sicklypix is included here. But, as I import everything into Lightroom, I cannot do so with my LX3 RAW files. Also I don't personally rate Slikypisc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
At least Silkypix SE which is included here in the US can read LX3 raw.

Steve

My Flickr site