Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 27th December 2014

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts
Combining AEL with Spot Metering

On Page 107 of his Complete Guide Gary L. Friedman writes:-

"Instead of having to zoom in all the way to have your subjects fill the frame before taking a reading, you can program the AEL button to just pay attention to the small circle in the center of the viewfinder normally used in spot metering. (This means you don’t have to zoom in as much and have your subject fill the frame.) This is known as “Spot Metering”, and you can have the AEL button go into Spot Metering mode every time you press it. (And revert back to whatever metering mode you were using before when you disable AEL.) You can do this via Menu  Gear E  AEL Metering  . This setting is my preferred choice."

Has anyone tried this? I have (I think) followed his instructions. One would imagine that on pressing the AEL button one would see a change in exposure if the AVF was centred on e.g. the brightest part of the subject. I have seen no change. Has anyone else tried this? With what results?

In any event in ESP metering mode there is no "small circle".

Flickr
Old 27th December 2014

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts
Re: Combining AEL with Spot Metering

That's how I have my EM-5 setup. AEL with spot metering is assigned to fn1.

When you press the button assigned to AEL do you see the AEL icon appear in the view screen? A green box with AEL in it towards the lower left of the screen.

You can see the exposure changing in the view screen: if you spot meter on a dark area then a light area you see the change in the view screen.
Old 27th December 2014

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
When you press the button assigned to AEL do you see the AEL icon appear in the view screen? A green box with AEL in it towards the lower left of the screen.
Yes I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
You can see the exposure changing in the view screen: if you spot meter on a dark area then a light area you see the change in the view screen.
I have not been able to see a change in exposure. That is the problem I have. Maybe I have not tried appropriate subjects.

Flickr
Old 27th December 2014

Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
Yes I do

I have not been able to see a change in exposure. That is the problem I have. Maybe I have not tried appropriate subjects.
Possible cause could be, the Live View Boost is switched on (gears D: Disp and scroll down to Live View Boost). I have that switched On when using studio flash, allows me to see with just the modelling lights and switched Off for most other situations. Most importantly, it allows me to see the exposure and effect of any compensation applied. Hope this helps.

Regards... Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to bassman For This Useful Post:
Adagio (28th December 2014)