Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 16th October 2013

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts
EM-1 Lock-up Information

As I have had another Lock-up today and Chevvy has reported having one previously I thought it may be helpful to ourselves and Olympus, (who I believe read this site?) to record what happens, what setting are in use and how it was resolved.

I'll start by copying across my information from yesterday (and Chevvy, maybe you would like to add yours)

From yesterday:

Quote:
whilst I was experimenting with the Release Lag-time setting on Short (to see if I could cut down on the time it took for the CAF to grab the bird) I had 3 episodes of total lock up (I've reported this and await a reply from Olympus Support) Until I hear back from them to the contrary I would suggest it may be prudent to avoid using the Short setting for Release Shutter Lag with CAF.

What happened was that I heard a clunk and the EVF view jerked to the left (each time). Shortly afterward there was another clunk and the system locked solid, with the last shot showing on the LCD (which I had switched off!).

When I removed the battery there was another clunk and the system freed itself, the noise was similar to that which you here when you switch the system to Short Lag-time release, switch off and the on again
From today:

Well, I can say that it is not related to the "Release Lag-time" being set to short as today's lock-up was with this set to Normal.

The "Clunk" + EVF view shift also appear to be a red-herrings as there was no sound of that today nor sight of an EVF shift.

I had a new battery in as well, so its not the battery.

Otherwise, all setting were as yesterday and the lockup showed the same effect in that the system froze in the middle of displaying the previous shot on the LCD.

Turning the power switch on and off had no effect, the system stayed powered on and the only way to "Reboot" was to switch it off and on again, after which it carried on working normally

I have sent this info to Olympus Support (still not heard back from yesterday)
Old 16th October 2013

Re: EM-1 Lock-up Information

I don't know if its in anyway linked to the lock-up problems but every single shot of >300 this lunch-time was blurred (shooting with shutter speed up in the range 1/640th the 1/2000th sec )

I need to do more testing using SAF to see if its the same with that, maybe tomorrow
Old 16th October 2013

Liked 69 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
I don't know if its in anyway linked to the lock-up problems but every single shot of >300 this lunch-time was blurred (shooting with shutter speed up in the range 1/640th the 1/2000th sec )

I need to do more testing using SAF to see if its the same with that, maybe tomorrow
That doesn't sound good Brian. Have you had a word with Ian about this?
Old 16th October 2013

only via posting here - I don't want to waste his time (may be necessary if Olympus don't come back to me of course, but I plan to ring them tomorrow if I have heard nothing back - having done some more testing before hand)
Old 16th October 2013

Liked 3,142 Times in 890 Posts

You are scaring me a bit Brian. I hope there is a simple answer to the problem.

Ron
Old 16th October 2013

Me too, I don't want to scare anyone (least of all myself), I'm just sharing the information in the hopes it may be useful and lead to a clarification of what I am seeing and why
Old 16th October 2013

Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts

Scaring me too. I had a lock-up, only once yesterday, the proposed image was stuck in the view finder, the on/off switch did'nt work, and the only way to recover was to remove the battery.
I was trying "CAF Lock" (cogs->"A" -"CAF Lock"), If I remember correctly, proposed by Brain1208, ref: Thruxton Meeting and CAF working.
What I cannot be sure is if I was touching the Shutter button at the same time as taking my eye from the view finder, which might have confused the camera.
To me the shutter button seems very sensitive, not like the E-M5, I think it is referred to as "soft touch button". Much prefer the E-M5 button myself.
Sorry to go no a bit, but maybe this might help.
Old 16th October 2013

Although scary, I think it's important info like this is shared so that eventually Olympus can see if it is a common problem, which may make a solution easier to come by.
Also for those who haven't yet got their EM1's, it is a chance for them to re-evaluate their proposed purchase if it proves to be a problem for which there is no quick fix.
Having said this, I am sure extensive tests were done on the EM1 before being marketed, and there will undoubtedly be a firmware, or other fix on its way from Olympus.
Having seen the images this camera can produce, I have no intention of cancelling my order, as I have confidence that a fix will be forth coming, and the more people that make Olympus aware of this problem, the sooner all will be well.
So thank you Brian!
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Alpha1 (18th October 2013), banjukes (28th October 2013), Grumpy Hec (17th October 2013), jamsa (16th October 2013), Olybirder (16th October 2013)
Old 16th October 2013

I've had another quick test shoot with the lens I was using today, my 75-300.

I also ran a few frames through using my 60mm macro.

I'm beginning to wonder if there may be an IS fault as, on this sample of around 30 shots, I'm finding it near enough impossible to get a blur free images at 300mm below about 1/1000th sec with IS on

With the 60mm macro I am getting blurry images at 1/40th - 1/100th, becoming blur free at 1/400th+

(with my em-5 I can get consistently get blur free shots with shutter speed below the 1/fl speed )

A definite call to Olympus Support tomorrow

(I must say that I have done a search on the web and can find no one else reporting this so I may be a small sample of one with a very specific problem)
The Following User Liked This Post:
jamsa (16th October 2013)
Old 16th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyboot View Post
Having seen the images this camera can produce, I have no intention of cancelling my order, as I have confidence that a fix will be forth coming, and the more people that make Olympus aware of this problem, the sooner all will be well.
my feelings exactly - its still the camera I hoped for and I don't regret buying it as an "Early Adopter"

I'm still hoping it will turn out to be something stupid - like ME!
Old 16th October 2013

just to remove one obvious possibility I have put the 75-300 on my tripod, with IS on (IS/1) and IS off and run off a few shots using the back of a CD as the target. Even at 1/6th sec the text is sharp up to and including 300mm, with and without IS (I know one should turn IS off when using a tripod but I wanted to double check what I was looking for)

It was also sharp (even sharper) doing the same thing with my 60mm macro, which is how it should be.

I got the same results with SAF and CAF set

So, I can conclude from these results that the fault is not with the 75-300 lens

I also repeated my hand-held shooting of my local focus test target at about 200m distance (a metal girder tower structure on the nearby water treatment plant) trying a variety of different hand-holding techniques and found the same - blur until after 1/500th sec (with IS/1 set) - hmmm?
Old 16th October 2013

Sounds very much like an IS problem Brian if all is well on a tripod. It definitely warrants a call to Olympus tomorrow. That is a real shame. I don't suppose the lock up is the reason for the IS going haywire?
I just hope that given how new it is that they replace it for you, although as things stand, a repair would probably be quicker!
Old 16th October 2013

I've just had an e-mail from Christopher at Olympus Support and he said that he thought the lock-up may be the result of a low battery + the use of short release lag-time, so I have updated thim and pointed them to this thread
Old 16th October 2013

Not sure about the reason being low battery coupled with short release lag time. A bit of a coincidence for the four of you who have experienced this to all have a low battery whilst using this setting?
Hopefully you will get some answers tomorrow Brian!
Old 16th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyboot View Post
Not sure about the reason being low battery coupled with short release lag time. A bit of a coincidence for the four of you who have experienced this to all have a low battery whilst using this setting?
Hopefully you will get some answers tomorrow Brian!

It clearly isn't the case as I was the only one using short release lag-time and I + the others have had this problem with release lag set to normal.

I was also using a different, freshly charged battery today

At the moment the only common factor appears to be that we were all using CAF when we experienced the problem (but even that is not a causal link)

(Sorry - one of my key roles in my job in R&D was technical problem analysis and resolution and I also ended up training people to use these techniques in my latter years )
The Following User Liked This Post:
jamsa (16th October 2013)