Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 16th November 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,527 Times in 2,153 Posts
Computer Woes!

Any computer experts who can advise me on this?

My screen regularly freezes, then the image breaks up like this:-

It lasts for about 1 or 2 minutes, during which time neither mouse or keyboard will respond. Then it clears and I get this message:-

I've lived with it for a while but it's annoying and a few days ago I did a bit of Google research that revealed this is a common problem with certain HP computers and there was a recommended link to update the graphics driver, which I did.

Unfortunately the new driver makes no difference; I still get the same problem. However, now when I start up the computer I get this warning:-

I've tried enabling the driver via the Display Manager with no success. I'm loathe to try another driver update for fear of b*gg*ring it up completely.

I'm inclined just to live with it, but is it likely to cause long term problems and does it matter that "The Catalyst Control Centre" (whatever that might be) is not supported by the graphics driver?

I would be very grateful if anyone can help me make sense of this.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 16th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Computer Woes!

Dear John,

I just spent a few minutes on Google having a look, the Catalyst Control Centre seem to be a fancy piece of software produced by your graphics card manufacturer ATI for many purposes including driver updates. I found an article about it here:

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6...ail/Knowledge/

I also found a forum entry about the error you describe here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hard...ol-centre.html

I wonder if you may have a similar issue were you have more than one version of your graphics card driver loaded that is causing some kind of conflict.

Cheers

Chris

PS It is a shame that I use Nvidia cards as I may have been able to help more by trying to break my system experimenting. Perhaps some other forum members might be able to assist who use ATI cards.
Old 16th November 2009

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

How old is the computer, how dirty is it inside - it could be that the dirt has clogged the cooling vents for the graphic processor and the processor has over heated and is in the process of destroying itself.
Old 16th November 2009

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I get the same message whenever I boot up my PC - have done ever since I bought it, presumably because I use the monitor I already had at that time. I just click OK and live with it.

You can revert to your old driver as follows:

"Click to open Device Manager.* If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Double-click the category containing your device driver, and then double-click the name of the device you want to restore to a previous driver version.

Click the Driver tab, and then click Roll Back Driver" so at least you can stop that message. Your other problem is a bit more difficult - not sure whether it's hardware or software.
Old 16th November 2009

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

When the screen breaks up like that im afraid thats a hardware problem and not software, try removing the card and fit back in to make sure the connection is tight and hasnt come lose over time, also could be dust in the connections

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 16th November 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meach View Post
I get the same message whenever I boot up my PC - have done ever since I bought it, presumably because I use the monitor I already had at that time. I just click OK and live with it.

You can revert to your old driver as follows:

"Click to open Device Manager.* If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Double-click the category containing your device driver, and then double-click the name of the device you want to restore to a previous driver version.

Click the Driver tab, and then click Roll Back Driver" so at least you can stop that message. Your other problem is a bit more difficult - not sure whether it's hardware or software.
Thanks, I'll have a go later. At least it will be something if I can get rid of one of the messages.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 16th November 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
When the screen breaks up like that im afraid thats a hardware problem and not software, try removing the card and fit back in to make sure the connection is tight and hasnt come lose over time, also could be dust in the connections
That sounds like bad news, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll take the lid off later and see if I can find the card....

If it all goes pear-shaped presumably I just need to buy a new card and slot it in?

Old 16th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
Yep I reckon your spot on - seen something very similar on a friends computer for whatever reason one of the contacts on the GFX card showed what looked like corrosion (although I always assumed that the contacts were gold plated and so it isn't possible...) anyway a quick rub with a normal eraser did the trick - infact the same thing happened several times over a year and was fixed each time in exactly the same way hopefully it will be just as simple a fix for you...
Old 16th November 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainD View Post
Dear John,

I just spent a few minutes on Google having a look, the Catalyst Control Centre seem to be a fancy piece of software produced by your graphics card manufacturer ATI for many purposes including driver updates. I found an article about it here:

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6...ail/Knowledge/

I also found a forum entry about the error you describe here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hard...ol-centre.html

I wonder if you may have a similar issue were you have more than one version of your graphics card driver loaded that is causing some kind of conflict.

Cheers

Chris

PS It is a shame that I use Nvidia cards as I may have been able to help more by trying to break my system experimenting. Perhaps some other forum members might be able to assist who use ATI cards.
Thanks, Chris. I'm still digesting this and trying to get my head around it.

Old 16th November 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

I have just solved a problem with Julia's mum's PC, which also had an ATI card. It would boot normally, but as soon as the Windows driver engaged the screen would go blank and the computer would freeze. Sometimes the pre-windows DOS stage of boot-up would look rather snowy. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the card was faulty and after replacing it with an older model spare, everything was fine.

The kids' PC also has an ATI card and this will often not work properly when the PC is first switched on. I know what the problem is with this - a sticky cooling fan. It makes a noise until it loosens up, but until then it doesn't cool the GPU chip well enough and the card won't work. So it might require a re-boot after first being switched on from cold.

Up to date drivers are important. You can find the latest drivers from ati.com. There is a simple to use driver wizard on the front page. You may need to ensure that the Microsoft .net framework 2.0 or later is installed.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 16th November 2009
Administrator

Hmmm,

I can anticipate what's going to happen. I'm going to tinker with this and then end up with no computer at all. I think I'll just play safe and live with the problems - at least it's still working (at the moment)!

Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 17th November 2009

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

At this stage (if it is a dirt on the graphics card issue) might be able to prevent further deterioration if you clean the card and so reduce over heating.
Old 17th November 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Might be a good idea to review your back-up plan John, computers seldom get better on their own.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 17th November 2009
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

THe problems that are indicated in your screen shot are normally down to the following problems.

1. Incorrectly seated cards.
2. Heat on graphics card.
3. Overclocking.
4. Occasionally drivers.

I think that you are having heat issues. If you can, download PCWizzard from www.cpuid.com

Its free, and it will list what hardware and software versions. It should also dispaly temperatures, if your hardware supports it.

If you can, post your CPU and graphics temperatures, and your CPU/GPU type.