Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Legacy Lenses

Legacy Lenses Discuss the use of older lenses, using adapters, from the Olympus OM system, Leica M and R-series, and the millions of others too.

Old 30th November 2010

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Pah! Thanks AP, there goes my bargain

Having enjoyed my Nikon 100/2.8 E-series and having the adaptor for my E-P1 I have been snooping around on Fleabay for a 50mm 1.8 for a bargain price. They seem cheapest if attached to a camera but now Amateur Photographer have ruined it.

They are doing an article on "bargain legacy lenses" which includes plenty of OM Zuiko glass and that 50mm/1.8. Suddenly the prices go up...

Nick
Old 30th November 2010

Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts
Re: Pah! Thanks AP, there goes my bargain

Mine cost about 6 on the 'Bay a couple of year's back. AP reckons they go for about 25. That would have been about the cost of the one I bought with my OM1 in 1980 - total bill 130!

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 1st December 2010
pepper

Legacy lenses are getting more and more expensive, especially on the Evilbay!

It's a great sellers market out there for them, but not for anyone who wants to buy!
Old 1st December 2010

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts

The same thing has happened to Tamron SP range lenses.

BTW, I'm glad you are liking that 100mm E series lens. Any results in the gallery??

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's_E View Post
Having enjoyed my Nikon 100/2.8 E-series and having the adaptor for my E-P1 I have been snooping around on Fleabay for a 50mm 1.8 for a bargain price. They seem cheapest if attached to a camera but now Amateur Photographer have ruined it.

They are doing an article on "bargain legacy lenses" which includes plenty of OM Zuiko glass and that 50mm/1.8. Suddenly the prices go up...

Nick

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Last edited by snaarman; 1st December 2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 1st December 2010
Xpres

I have a number of 50/1.8s - If anyone wants one...

You don't have to stick to zuikos, the 50mm standard lens is always pretty good in whatever brand. The Zuiko is particularly good, but there are many other 'bargains' out there. Have a look for a Rollei 50/1.8 for example, found on SL35s, or a humble pentacon 50/1.8 will only cost a few pounds. They'll all fit on an EP1.

These types are often cheaper at a dealer... ebay is really getting expensive because the market is global!
Old 1st December 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

My 50mm f/1.4 Zuiko cost me 57 including postage on eBay back in February.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 1st December 2010

Thanked 1,140 Times in 714 Posts
Liked 1,481 Times in 740 Posts

Seems like a good time to dig these things out. I have 3 Miranda lens - some with macro facility, a Pentax M 1.7/50 plus a 2.8/28mm Sigma mini-wide and i'm sure there is a Zuiko 1.8/50mm in there as well... time to go rummaging methinks?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 1st December 2010

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post

BTW, I'g glad you are liking that 100mm E series lens. Any results in the gallery??

Pete
Pete,

Have a look here, a new album especially for the combo. I was trying to get some pictures for Ian's Pen book, using the depth of field and seeing what the art filters do.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/1074

With regards to rising costs I have decided to second-guess the market on Fleabay - I have just added three Oly T20 flashes and a wireless trigger to my setup for a total of 35 instead. A new arrival necessitates portraiture/studio work and less time outside...

Nick
Old 1st December 2010

Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,049 Posts
Liked 2,224 Times in 1,175 Posts

I got my 50mm lens with an OM10 outfit in a hard case for a good price & have got most of my use out of it reversed for my early macro stuff. I have also used the chipped (Dandelion) adapter with AF confirm for 4/3s & it helps a lot. Do they have a similarly chipped adapter for micro 4/3s or is it useless with contrast focus?
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 1st December 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's a gumtree posting if anyone is interested. The slide duplicator is a strange looking beast.
http://glasgow.gumtree.com/glasgow/87/69446887.html
Old 1st December 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Seems like a good time to dig these things out. I have 3 Miranda lens - some with macro facility, a Pentax M 1.7/50 plus a 2.8/28mm Sigma mini-wide and i'm sure there is a Zuiko 1.8/50mm in there as well... time to go rummaging methinks?
Before I could afford 'premier league' brands, I was an avid Miranda fan and had both a Sensorex EE2 (por man's Nikon F2 as it had a removable prism) and an OM-inspired compact dx3, the latter being the first SLR with an electronically governed focal plane shutter and an LED exposure indicator (with 'OK' displayed for correct exposure in the viewfinder). I also had an 80-200 zoom, and a Miranda 21mm wide angle. Alas, the original Miranda company went bust not long after the dx3 was produced. There was a link with Soligor and several Miranda system lenses were obviously Soligor designs. The Miranda 50mm f/1.8 standard lens was renowned for its optical resolving power.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 1st December 2010
Alan Clogwyn

I bought an OM10, Viivitar 24mm f2.8 and Miranda 75-200mm f4.5 for the grand sum of 6!

It was sold as spares because he didnt thinkthe camera worked as the exposure value showsn was way off the mark. Both lenses were fungussed up nicely, but I still use the Viviitar 24mm, it's an excellent lens. The Miranda was in very poor shape, but was useful on a massive macro extension tube, just, where it showed very good resolution and bokeh but awful colour fringing and flare.

I got a Zuiko 50mm f1.8 with a Tamron 2x Teleconverter attached for 1 too, which I thought was a good deal.

I have just forked out nearly 70 on a mint vivitar 24mm but in Minolta MD fitting to comapre against my fungus bitten OM one. We shall see.
Old 1st December 2010

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts

Well I never.. I have used a Sensorex and Miranda F in my past. Regrettably I sold all the Miranda gear years ago. They were quality cameras, nothing to do with the nast Dixons stuff with the same name. These days hardly anyone has heard of them.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Before I could afford 'premier league' brands, I was an avid Miranda fan and had both a Sensorex EE2 (por man's Nikon F2 as it had a removable prism) and an OM-inspired compact dx3, the latter being the first SLR with an electronically governed focal plane shutter and an LED exposure indicator (with 'OK' displayed for correct exposure in the viewfinder). I also had an 80-200 zoom, and a Miranda 21mm wide angle. Alas, the original Miranda company went bust not long after the dx3 was produced. There was a link with Soligor and several Miranda system lenses were obviously Soligor designs. The Miranda 50mm f/1.8 standard lens was renowned for its optical resolving power.

Ian

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 1st December 2010
pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I got my 50mm lens with an OM10 outfit in a hard case for a good price & have got most of my use out of it reversed for my early macro stuff. I have also used the chipped (Dandelion) adapter with AF confirm for 4/3s & it helps a lot. Do they have a similarly chipped adapter for micro 4/3s or is it useless with contrast focus?
I'm quite lucky in that I use my old Panasonic DMC-L1 (virtually the same as an E300) with most of my legacy lenses, for some reason Panasonic do focus confirm with legacy lenses on which Olympus do not! It therefore makes it really simple to use the old OM and Leica lenses on my L1.

It means that any adaptors are also very cheap too