Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,761 Times in 1,135 Posts
Re: Campus censorship Ďan epidemicí at UK universities?

I sometimes wonder whether an abrupt end to someones life is easier to deal with, compared to the person you know being progressively 'stolen' from you over years by dementia or Alzheimer's.

Jim
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 182 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I sometimes wonder whether an abrupt end to someones life is easier to deal with, compared to the person you know being progressively 'stolen' from you over years by dementia or Alzheimer's.

Jim
Debated this myself Jim, my old ma was getting very forgetful and we had begun to worry about her wellbeing. Had spoken to the doctor and it was becoming a genuine concern.
On the other hand for all concerned I would not wish that traumatic experience on anyone. A very violent and distressing way to end one's life, probably best we don't get to choose.

Would say one thing and please don't judge me by this statement.
I see so many people themselves no youngsters struggling to care for their very elderly parents. Must admit to feeling very relieved not having to deal with it. My Dad passed away over thirty years ago and my in-laws are long gone too. That is from a purely selfish point of view, but who knows if I had been given a choice.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 361 Times in 235 Posts

The loss of parents and elderly relatives is something we all have to face at some point in our lives. It is all part of the cycle of life and death.

How much more devastating must it be to lose a child, a son or daughter especially in violent circumstances similar to ones that appear on our news almost daily. I honestly have no idea how anyone copes with that.

Jax
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 774 Times in 530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post

Jim
Personally Jim I would think so, as currently watching Mum deteriorate with dementia. Many times sheís expressed a wish for it all to be over and I canít say I blame her. Dad died of mesothelioma and even he wished for it to be ended. As terrible as a sudden trauma would be I suspect from our family experience it might be preferable to the alternatives.
The state of the NHS doesnít help in these situations. Mums care is costing us more per month (living at home) than Iíve ever taken home in a month, yet thereís no money for social care. Itíll be worse too in a few years when we all need it.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post

Would say one thing and please don't judge me by this statement.
I see so many people themselves no youngsters struggling to care for their very elderly parents. Must admit to feeling very relieved not having to deal with it. My Dad passed away over thirty years ago and my in-laws are long gone too. That is from a purely selfish point of view, but who knows if I had been given a choice.
Welcome to my world! We love Mum to bits but her time has long come, weíve had over 10 years of looking after her and the gradual decline that goes with it. As a family weíve often said if there was a simple, legal option weíd take it. Too many doctors keeping too many old people alive as basically vanity projects for their careers.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
The loss of parents and elderly relatives is something we all have to face at some point in our lives. It is all part of the cycle of life and death.

How much more devastating must it be to lose a child, a son or daughter especially in violent circumstances similar to ones that appear on our news almost daily. I honestly have no idea how anyone copes with that.

Jax
At least the parents going first is the natural order of things, as you say, Iíve no idea how you cope with the loss of a child.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jax (3 Weeks Ago), Tram (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,500 Posts
Liked 4,585 Times in 2,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Welcome to my world! We love Mum to bits but her time has long come, weíve had over 10 years of looking after her and the gradual decline that goes with it. As a family weíve often said if there was a simple, legal option weíd take it. Too many doctors keeping too many old people alive as basically vanity projects for their careers.
Unfortunately that's the law. I am determined not to become a burden when my Parkinsons symptoms reach the stage that I can no longer look after myself. However, as the law stands, it would be a crime if another person assists me and that means I will need to do the deed earlier than needs be, whilst I am still capable of doing it alone.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 361 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Unfortunately that's the law. I am determined not to become a burden when my Parkinsons symptoms reach the stage that I can no longer look after myself. However, as the law stands, it would be a crime if another person assists me and that means I will need to do the deed earlier than needs be, whilst I am still capable of doing it alone.
Not making light of your post but.... Illegal or not, I feel sure when my time comes there will be no shortage of volunteers ! Probably need a Traffic Warden to control the queue

Jax
TimP (3 Weeks Ago), Zuiko (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,500 Posts
Liked 4,585 Times in 2,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Not making light of your post but.... Illegal or not, I feel sure when my time comes there will be no shortage of volunteers ! Probably need a Traffic Warden to control the queue

Jax
Oh, I think you have to make light of these situations, it would be a bit grim if we didn't.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Jax (3 Weeks Ago), OM USer (3 Weeks Ago), wornish (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,761 Times in 1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Iíve no idea how you cope with the loss of a child.
My partner's friend's husband's father was in the Wermacht during the war as a young man. He went A.W.O.L. and was eventually caught. He was sentenced to a prison term. His mother appealed and the sentence was reviewed. He was then sentenced to death and shot! I often wonder how his mother felt, having through her action had him killed!

Jim
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,567 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Our politicians seem to think that legalising any form of euthanasia would put elderly and vulnerable people at risk, particularly if they have money one presumes.

I suspect the medical profession may also be worried about the risks of legal action by relatives who did not agree to the termination of a life.

I certainly wouldn't want to be kept alive in a demented or vegetative state.

What is your take on it John?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Keith-369 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

Having got past the disagreements at the beginning I found this interesting. (I havenít been on here for a while).
Both my parents died of illnesses in their 70s within 6months of each other). After my mother died my fatherís illness, a new job and a youngish family took my attention. After my father died sorting out everything took time. It was two years later listening to Mike and the Mechanicsí In the Living Years that I suddenly broke down in uncontrollable tears. I hadnít realised how much I had bottled up. Unfortunately everyone seems to grief in their own way and in their own time so it is difficult to see from the outside.
Tram how you coped with your motherís death in such a fashion is something I am glad I didnít have to deal with. I am glad that you are recovering.
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
The Following User Says Thank You to maccabeej For This Useful Post:
Tram (1 Week Ago)
Naughty Nigel (2 Weeks Ago), Zuiko (2 Weeks Ago)

Tags
censorship, free thinking, universities