Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II The first OM-D's successor.

Old 12th April 2015

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Using Olympus RAW files

I was disappointed to find that my copy of Photoshop Elements 11 (PSE11) won't import my ORF files. I know Olympus Viewer 3 can see them (but I have a problem with that, too! see below) but I'm used to PSE11 for editing and don't imagine OV3 can match it (?). As updating PSE doesn't offer much more that I need, and it's expensive (the cost of "upgrading" to PSE13 is a new purchase rather than an upgrade) I don't really want to do that to see if that works for ORF. I'm certainly not going to the expense of getting full PS under their present T&Cs.

I was pointed to an update of Adobe RAW on an Adobe users' forum and did that using PSE11's Help/Updates but that hasn't solved it. It imports JPGs from the camera OK but throws its hands up at the ORF ones. I think that was getting v7.4, but the update function did not find Adobe RAW 8.x. I found 8.1 by another route and downloaded that - it was an EXE file and running it did not solve the problem. Looking again I suspect that's only intended for PS not PSE, although I have read threads that suggest it can be made to work with PSE.

Someone pointed me to Adobe's DNG program, so I got that and that does convert ORF to DNG format. PSE11 can import those OK, but it's a slow work-around.

What do you experienced Oly users do to get PSE to work?

Regarding OV3, when I connect the camera, windows offers me options including "Download pictures using OV3" but if I click that, OV3 opens but can't see the camera so it can't download them from the camera. I need to copy them to my computer using Windows Explorer or similar then open them into OV3 from there, which does work. Does anyone else find that?

Thanks.
Old 12th April 2015

Thanked 1,347 Times in 1,052 Posts
Liked 2,245 Times in 1,182 Posts
Re: Using Olympus RAW files

With OV3, make sure it is the latest update (it should be if it came with the E-M5 II on CD though), & don't forget that the camera needs to be activated when connected too. When connected it should give you a screen display with options to select (unless selected in the Menu to go straight to one of the options). Select [Storage] & press (OK) & then the PC & OV3 will see the camera. That is something you also need to remember when updating the camera's firmware too, as the update program won't see the camera until you do select [Storage]. BTW, OV3 won't play videos downloaded off your camera unless it has been connected at least once to the OV3 program. I normally just take the SD card out & use OV3 to download my photos (into Folders, not Albums) & I select Camera for the input source as the SD card is recognised as a camera by OV3.

If you end up looking for different software then I suggest you also look at & consider Capture One 8. It has been updated to include E-M5 II ORF files & is an even better output than Lightroom so should also rival Elements too. I use it as single image import only (but a folder has to be selected first to download from) for the images I want to edit only.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Stuart444 (12th April 2015)
Old 12th April 2015

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks, Ross. I had been connecting the camera with the middle icon as that looks like it means computer-camera link. Now that I look in the manual, I see it does tell me to use Storage. Alas when it looks intuitive, I assume I've got it right! Wrong here.

I see MTP is for Windows Photo Gallery so I can forget that and direct printing. I can't seem to find what that middle icon does in the manual though.
Old 12th April 2015
Senior

Liked 163 Times in 63 Posts

Adobe are doing Elements 13 which will support the OM-D E-M5 II for £55.37 including VAT until 15th April.

My Zenfolio Site
My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shaw For This Useful Post:
Stuart444 (12th April 2015), Wee man (12th April 2015)
Old 12th April 2015

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks, Stewart. I read in another post someone referring to "The Adobe upgrade treadmill" and it does seem to me rather like they charge too much, too often, to upgraders. However I paid something like £90 for PSE11 a couple of years ago if I remember correctly. I guess this gives me a few days to find a better alternative before parting with more readies. The Adobe website is illogical - you get this price for a "full" purchase, but the "upgrade" option still costs £64!
Old 12th April 2015

Liked 82 Times in 30 Posts

You can always open the .ORF files in OV3 and save as .tiff files which you can use with elements if you don't wish to purchase replacement software in the short term.
Old 12th April 2015

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yes, I could do that, thanks for the idea. I've never worked with tiff files as far as I can remember. I think I'd prefer to get raw files in PSE, so it's either get a RAW upgrade to work in PSE11, use DNG and PSE11 or buy PSE13. The first ain't working yet; the second is a bit tedious; the third is money again but perhaps not too much, but I'm on the treadmill then. Ross's Capture One 8 looks good but is considerably more expensive. My view is it's usually easy to solve problems by throwing money at them but not necessarily satisfying.
Old 12th April 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,631 Times in 943 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Using Olympus RAW files

Use the Adobe Camera RAW HERE to convert the OMD E-M5MkII RAW files to DNG (Batch Mode) Then your PS will import the DNG version of the file.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (12th April 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (12th April 2015)
Old 12th April 2015

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts

I've a similar problem with my epm-2. Even Finder (Mac equiv to Explorer) can't see the files. Apple says upgrade to "Yosemite" and Lightroom says upgrade to 5.x. My solution is to pare out the keepers with OV3 and then process with After Shot 2, or save to Tiff and use LR4. Such a PITA may drive me back to shooting only jpegs. Or just give up on the epm-2 and convert it for IR.
Old 12th April 2015

Liked 311 Times in 149 Posts

Do what Graham suggested convert to DNG converter, it's 100% free it's an easy solution to your problem.

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (12th April 2015)
Old 21st April 2015

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G View Post
I've a similar problem with my epm-2. Even Finder (Mac equiv to Explorer) can't see the files. Apple says upgrade to "Yosemite" and Lightroom says upgrade to 5.x. My solution is to pare out the keepers with OV3 and then process with After Shot 2, or save to Tiff and use LR4. Such a PITA may drive me back to shooting only jpegs. Or just give up on the epm-2 and convert it for IR.
I have just purchased the EM5MK2 and I have had Yosemite for several months and it doesn't accept ORF files in either iphoto or aperture.it will accept JPEG which is at least something. On the 30th of last month I updated the latest raw converters from apple and that list did not include the EM5mk2. I have used oly viewer but it's not very intuitive. I will have to wait for a further update from apple! Or maybe download the disc that came wth the camera and use batch to convert the files to tiff. That is if I can find the batch keys within oly viewer??
Sometimes wonder if Film isn't easier
Kind regards mike
Old 21st April 2015

Liked 285 Times in 147 Posts

My wife is looking hard at my EM-5 with a view to making a zero-cost purchase! I've baulked at upgrading to the Mark II because I unsuccessfully tried opening raw files taken at a McGillicuddy demo with the Mark II with Adobe CS6 . I recently installed an CS6 update but have stupidly deleted the raw files from the Recycle Bin so cannot see if the Mark II files are now supported. Anybody know the answer? Thanks.

David
Old 21st April 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,631 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
My wife is looking hard at my EM-5 with a view to making a zero-cost purchase! I've baulked at upgrading to the Mark II because I unsuccessfully tried opening raw files taken at a McGillicuddy demo with the Mark II with Adobe CS6 . I recently installed an CS6 update but have stupidly deleted the raw files from the Recycle Bin so cannot see if the Mark II files are now supported. Anybody know the answer? Thanks.

David
Use the Adobe Camera RAW HERE to convert the OMD E-M5MkII RAW files to DNG (Batch Mode) Then your PS will import the DNG version of the file.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 21st April 2015

Liked 285 Times in 147 Posts

Thanks Graham. I've converted Panasonic files to DNG in the past but they always seemed to be 3 or 4 times the original file size.

David
Old 22nd April 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post

That's what I have had to do with the ORF files from my E-M1 as Photoshop elements 11 wouldn't open them - it's another step to do after downloading them, but the converter is quick even on my slow laptop, so by the time a cup of tea has been made 100 or so ORF files have been converted.

The only issue then is that I tend to keep both the ORF and DNG files (DNG to use, ORF in case adobe relent and start to accept them) so my hard drive is filling up more rapidly than expected.

Cheers,

Ralph.