Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28th March 2010
E-3's Avatar
E-3 E-3 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 727
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lost my motivation...

I have had the flu for the past couple of weeks & now recovered, I have found that I have lost all my motivation & enthusiasm for photography anyone else ever found themselves in this situation? anyone got any advice how to get it back?
__________________
Regards James.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28th March 2010
StephenL's Avatar
StephenL StephenL is offline
Senior Pixelmonger
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Yorkshire Dales
Posts: 9,863
Thanks: 984
Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Likes: 658
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Lost my motivation...

Go for a walk in the country without your camera, and look at all the things you would have shot if you had a camera with you.
__________________
Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28th March 2010
Graham_of_Rainham's Avatar
Graham_of_Rainham Graham_of_Rainham is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rainham
Posts: 8,224
Thanks: 647
Thanked 951 Times in 735 Posts
Likes: 2,314
Liked 1,624 Times in 937 Posts
Smile Re: Lost my motivation...

I think we all go through these periods...

How about a little "Back to Basics". Fix the 50mm on, leave all the other lenses behind, set the camera to Manual and go out with the intention of producing a single best exposed, best composed image, that you will then post here in the critique section.

Having a goal with a set time scale to achieve it is a strong insentive to get back the enthusiasm.

SO: When are you going to do this
__________________
Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28th March 2010
Meogeo's Avatar
Meogeo Meogeo is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Warrington UK
Posts: 140
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Lost my motivation...

I felt really down in the middle of february, I was so low I did not want to do anything, but when the weather started to get warmer my spirits lifted, me and the wife are going away for easter and I just cannot wait to get away, I think we have had a long winter and it takes its toll, I wish you well and yes it will pass, different events in your life will change the way you feel.
__________________
Geoff
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28th March 2010
jonesy jonesy is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 762
Thanks: 67
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Likes: 69
Liked 74 Times in 36 Posts
Re: Lost my motivation...

I think when you are still weak, the thought of lugging a big heavy bit of equipment around can make you feel even worse.

I went out yesterday, with my camera for the first time this year, and I purposely set off to a place I know is very photogenic. I only intended staying out for about an hour, but, after pressing the button the first time, I felt I needed to stay out and take more photos.
Then coming home to see my photos on my monitor, I was like a kid with a new toy again.

Hope you feel better soon, and feel like taking photos too
__________________
Tracey Jones

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28th March 2010
E-3's Avatar
E-3 E-3 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 727
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Lost my motivation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Go for a walk in the country without your camera, and look at all the things you would have shot if you had a camera with you.
What an excellent idea, thank you very much for the thought
__________________
Regards James.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28th March 2010
E-3's Avatar
E-3 E-3 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 727
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Lost my motivation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I think we all go through these periods...

How about a little "Back to Basics". Fix the 50mm on, leave all the other lenses behind, set the camera to Manual and go out with the intention of producing a single best exposed, best composed image, that you will then post here in the critique section.

Having a goal with a set time scale to achieve it is a strong insentive to get back the enthusiasm.

SO: When are you going to do this
Another excellent idea............back to basics
__________________
Regards James.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28th March 2010
E-3's Avatar
E-3 E-3 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 727
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Lost my motivation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meogeo View Post
I felt really down in the middle of february, I was so low I did not want to do anything, but when the weather started to get warmer my spirits lifted, me and the wife are going away for easter and I just cannot wait to get away, I think we have had a long winter and it takes its toll, I wish you well and yes it will pass, different events in your life will change the way you feel.
Pleased to hear you managed to change things around, hope I will too
__________________
Regards James.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28th March 2010
E-3's Avatar
E-3 E-3 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 727
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Lost my motivation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
I think when you are still weak, the thought of lugging a big heavy bit of equipment around can make you feel even worse.

I went out yesterday, with my camera for the first time this year, and I purposely set off to a place I know is very photogenic. I only intended staying out for about an hour, but, after pressing the button the first time, I felt I needed to stay out and take more photos.
Then coming home to see my photos on my monitor, I was like a kid with a new toy again.

Hope you feel better soon, and feel like taking photos too
Thank you for the encouragement, I am already feeling in a better frame of mind now after all of these helpful suggestions
__________________
Regards James.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28th March 2010
stevednp3's Avatar
stevednp3 stevednp3 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,787
Thanks: 76
Thanked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Likes: 2
Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts
Re: Lost my motivation...

I too have felt like this before and what I did to pickup my intrest of photography is to go out and photograph something totally different to your usual subjects. I found this brought back the intrest as I ended up learning new techniques and camera settings I never used before
__________________
E-M10 Mk2 - 14-42mm EZ - 40-150mm ED - Falcon 8mm Fisheye - FL-36R

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 28th March 2010
E-3's Avatar
E-3 E-3 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 727
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Lost my motivation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
I too have felt like this before and what I did to pickup my intrest of photography is to go out and photograph something totally different to your usual subjects. I found this brought back the intrest as I ended up learning new techniques and camera settings I never used before
Thank you for another excellent idea Steve
__________________
Regards James.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 28th March 2010
mike_j
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lost my motivation...

I often find that the only thing that gets me out with the camera often is the photographic club monthly competitiion. It's low key, max print size A5 and a named topic. The sting is that pics have to be taken with the last 60 days. The scoring is such that it is better to submit an indifferent picture than not enter and it is designed to get members out with their cameras.

I'm struggling to get a decent 'skyline' picture at present.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 28th March 2010
BobS BobS is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Isle of Purbeck, Dorset
Posts: 1,267
Thanks: 50
Thanked 51 Times in 47 Posts
Likes: 58
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Re: Lost my motivation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-3 View Post
I have had the flu for the past couple of weeks & now recovered, I have found that I have lost all my motivation & enthusiasm for photography anyone else ever found themselves in this situation? anyone got any advice how to get it back?
Just look at some of the other great photos that are being posted. Doesn't that make you envious and want to go out and have a go?

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 28th March 2010
Kiwi Paul
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lost my motivation...

Chill out, sometimes you just need a break, I lose interest every so often and just go about my business, eventually the motivation comes and you are back into it again, I don't try to take photo's when the motivation is lacking as the shots are crap and none inspiring.


Paul
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 28th March 2010
Nick Temple-Fry's Avatar
Nick Temple-Fry Nick Temple-Fry is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 4,395
Thanks: 17
Thanked 190 Times in 142 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Lost my motivation...

Just go out and take some photos, it's the only way. Amongst them will be the one to rekindle your enthusiasm.

Sorry

Nick
__________________
Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The lost eyepiece. andym The lounge 11 25th September 2009 09:48 PM
Lost my E-3's eyecup and then ..... jdal Olympus E-3 6 1st August 2009 10:56 AM
Lost in London geirsan Foto Fair 4 19th August 2008 12:57 AM
Lost my E3 eyepiece! Jim Ford Olympus E-3 25 12th July 2008 09:51 PM
lost impavt in resampling swazon Looking for improvement 16 18th November 2007 11:33 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:29 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger