Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 31st July 2009

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts
Lost my E-3's eyecup and then .....

.... while walking along the same track as I'd been on 2 days previously, when I reckon I'd lost it, I saw an eyecup on the track. Absolutely amazing, I thought. I'd just ordered a new one (at 12.95) so I was partly miffed and partly pleased, but when I looked it was a Canon one. And it didn't fit, but I reckoned I could make it fit with some mods.
Later on, walking back down the same track I found yet another! It was a Nikon one this time, and it fits!

This is the track:

What are the odds of that then? And furthermore, I wonder if Nikon eycups are cheaper than the Oly ones?

ps - I couldn't find a forum that fitted this little anecdote.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 31st July 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,627 Times in 939 Posts
Re: Lost my E-3's eyecup and then .....

So why didn't you pick up the lens cap that's lying just off the side of the track

If you happen on a hotshoe cover, there's a good market for those on here...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 31st July 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
So why didn't you pick up the lens cap that's lying just off the side of the track
Lens caps are ten a penny on the Northumbrian moors. Hardly worth bending down for.

Quote:
If you happen on a hotshoe cover, there's a good market for those on here...
The sheep eat them, they think they're bilberries. Anyhow, I've got two winging their way in my direction along with an E1 LCD cover and the eyecup.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

Flickr gallery
Old 31st July 2009

Liked 1,015 Times in 388 Posts

A friend of mine has been taking some shots in our village, he mentioned the shot he was after and the viewpoint. I decided to go to the same spot some days later and noticed something shining in the grass, it was his polarising filter. I must have had my tripod legs in the same spot as his even thougth I was shooting a different view.
Must say, he didn't find my lens hood I lost on the same shoot:-(
Old 1st August 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,561 Times in 2,169 Posts

Just think, John, somewhere there might be a Nikon user with your E3 eyecup fitted to his camera - one way to improve a D300 I suppose!

Lovely picture of the track, is that a local walk for you?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Lovely picture of the track, is that a local walk for you?
Thanks. It's not very local - about 25 miles away. But it's a bit of moorland I regularly visit and is very popular with walkers.

I was going to this bit:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2509/...c28366b1_o.jpg to have a play with the 7-14mm.

Flickr gallery
Old 1st August 2009

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

In years gone by, I sowed Norwegian rivers with Nikon and Canon lens caps, but now, having seen the light and having bought an E-3 in February, I was sitting trying out a wired remote and unscrewed the little black cap on the camera. After trying unsuccessfully to make the remote work (Hahnel), I unscrewed it and lo and behold, the little cap had disappeared. Frantic searching and brushing of carpet, shaking clothing to no avail. I was mortified. My brand new pride and joy was secondhand already! After noticing similar escapades on forums, I sent to Luton camera for a replacement for this, the flash cover and the hotshoe cover (paranoid).
I fitted the replacement and was happy again. Two days later I found I'd safely stowed the cap in my pocket all along (senior moment?), so now I had a spare. Shortly after I sent for an eyecup (more paranoia) and another item and the rather clunky Luton Camera site double charged me for postage, but unbidden, the guys there sent me ANOTHER remote release cap. Nice of them but I feel I now have enough, especially as I don't trust the release enough to use it!

E-3|11-22|14-54 MkII|50-200swd|40-150|50 F2