Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 16th July 2009

Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Wedding Coming Up

I am going to a wedding in September and am looking for advice on what lenses would best go with my E-520 to record the event. Apart from the kit lenses, I have at the moment the Oly 11-22 and 50/f2. At the longer end I have the 70-300. Any advice, or will what I have do?

Maczero
Old 16th July 2009

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts
Re: Wedding Coming Up

I did quite well at a wedding just using the 40-150 kit and an external flash to lift the shadows. That gear lets you get the candids and profiles from a reasonable distance. I didn't need anything longer than 150. I was just there as a guest come second photographer.

However... if you are the main photographer then its all very different. You might be expected to take the big group shots(so 40mm would not be wide enough) and the couple and the ring etc etc. A mate of mine does weddings and I note he always has two cameras round his neck, one with the wide to mid zoom, the other with the longer lens for closer stuff. You don't want to be changing lenses during the gig :-)

Beware using the 11-22 at the wide end for group shots. You might checked this in advance, but you may find the ladies at the edge of the shot will not be flattered by the shape they turn out!

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 16th July 2009

Liked 132 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
.... but you may find the ladies at the edge of the shot will not be flattered by the shape they turn out!

Pete
Love it

Steve
Old 16th July 2009
Archphoto

I agree with Snaarman. The kitlenses should do.
The 70-300 is a tad longish, but if you are the second photographer you might want to have it with you for those unexpected shots.

For the big group-shots: try to take them with the 14-42mm.
I would use the 11-22mm aswell for some general view shots in the church or outside. Just keep a bit of room on both sides of the frame so you can correct for barrel-distorsion in PhotoShop later.

Having 2 bodies is a huge pré as changing lenses will be hard in a rush.

Have a flash with you for fill-in flash, but don't use that all the time, try to make use of the natural light as much as you can.

Have a spare battery with you and plenty of memory, with my last wedding I shot over 500 photo's......

Peter
Old 16th July 2009

Thanks for your advice. I am chary about using flash in the church (afterwards is obviously less of a problem) which is why I wondered whether the 50/f2 would be useful (although there may be DOF issues). I have an old E-400 body I could use, but that is a bit noisier than the E-520.

The advice on framing with the 11-22 is particularly relevant - I tend to go in too tight in camera.

Thank goodness I am not the main photographer, but I would like to be able to send some good shots to the bride and groom.

Maczero
Old 16th July 2009

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maczero View Post
Thanks for your advice. I am chary about using flash in the church (afterwards is obviously less of a problem) which is why I wondered whether the 50/f2 would be useful (although there may be DOF issues). I have an old E-400 body I could use, but that is a bit noisier than the E-520.
Maczero
Flash in church is usually not allowed, in fact photography of any sort may not be allowed. Check with the vicar or church office in advance.

Usually the main tog only gets to use flash for the register signing and the walk up the aisle*

I would try the 50 f2 in advance. Great lens thought it is, I have doubts about its focussing speed under pressure :-) If I had to get a shot of the couple during the procedings (assuming its allowed) I would park myself at the back supported against some stonework and use my 90 or 135mm legacy lens with IS turned on. If its a standard stone church, be prepared for low light levels...

Pete

*Getting a decent shot of the happy couple walking up the aisle is one of the scariest high pressure shots I have aver attempted. First, they will be walking to fast, no matter what you told them an hour ago. Secondly, this is where you find your nice new flash doesn't have enough output!

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 16th July 2009
Archphoto

If you use the flash inside the church, set the camera at 400 ISO and f:5.6.
In this way you "raise" the output of the flash.

If you have the opportunity: take a tripod with you for some "stately" shots.
The ones below I took in Pirenopolis, Brazil one evening.
Brazilians like to have a full video of everything, hence the lights.....

One thing: the couple is most important on that day, you come right after that.
You can and should be the director in a pleasant way, so the couple get the photo's they want.
And do check out the church BEFORE the wedding !

Good luck !

Peter
Old 16th July 2009
kuvvy

Maczero, I too have a wedding coming up.....in just two days! It's my daughters and I've paid out a fortune for the pro photog. I used to do weddings myself but that was some years ago.
For my personal shots I will be using my E420 plus 11-22 and FL36R flash. The only other lens I have is the 25mm pancake. The quality of the 11-22 is not in question as it's a super performer but just watch for that wide end causing distortion.
I bought the flash a short while ago and have only used it sparingly but have been testing it out to use for fill-in. Think I've sussed it.
Old 16th July 2009

Thanks for this. The 11-22 was the first lens I bought for my (then) E-400. It has taken some pretty decent shots for me and I am rather attached to it, even though the smart money is on the much more expensive 12-60.

Maczero
Old 16th July 2009

I'd be chuffed if I could manage shots like that. Which lens did you use?

Maczero
Old 16th July 2009
Archphoto

Both of them were made with the E410 and the 11-22mm at the 22mm position, de 2nd one is a horizontal crop from a vertical shot.

So both shots could have been made with the 14-42mm kitlens.

I was lucky that evening: I was not even invited and (still) don't know the couple, as long as you behave like a professional you can make your shots.....

Peter