Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself Don't be bashful - please say hello so we can all welcome you here!

Old 27th June 2009
Trausti Hraunfjord

Welcome....

... to my first post.

Found these forums through Google, and hope to find help, tips and tricks for my newly acquired E-520 camera that replaces the old workhorse C-8080 that I was (still am) very satisfied with.

My work is in the field of panograpy... (shooting panoramas) for online viewing, such as these few and not complete examples from my current project demonstrate:

These are just SIMPLE SIMPLE things... not at all close to the final look, but the panos themselves are as they will be... since the client wants them in low resolution, rather than bigger and slower loading projects with high resolution.

Apart of being a panographer, I started the development of a GUI for the world's best flash based panorama player ( http://flashpanoramas.com ), and got the first version published in late October last year, and in a few days version 44 will be released. So my life is very much about photography and related issues. The name of my application is Flashificator

Before being accused of spamming you all, I will stop this attempt at introducing myself... though stating that I do live in Peru South America, but am born and bred in Iceland.
Old 27th June 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Welcome....

WOW - these images are stunning, really stunning and I am sure many here would love to be able to create similar images. You are also from a very beautiful part of the world.

Would there be any chance you could run through the process you used to create these etc. That would be superb.

Old 27th June 2009

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Welcome to what is a basically a UK based Olympus E group so some our answers might be a little parochial.
For a more international flavour do look up Four thirds User as well
Old 27th June 2009
Trausti Hraunfjord

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
WOW - these images are stunning, really stunning and I am sure many here would love to be able to create similar images. You are also from a very beautiful part of the world.

Would there be any chance you could run through the process you used to create these etc. That would be superb.
Thank you very much.

Let me try to be brief.

Hardware needs:

1. Camera (for the above photos I used Olympus C-8080 wz )
2. Good and stable tripod.
3. Panorama head. (I use Panosaurus... the cheapest panohead on the market, modified for my needs, and works flawlessly), but there are better coices out there, such as the Nodal Ninja

Software I use:

1. PTgui
2. Photoshop CS3
3. FPP
4. Flashificator

PTgui is the software used to stitch the images into an equirectangular panoramic image, and with the latest version, one can convert the equirectangular into 6 cube faces, which is the best format to use with FPP.
Photoshop is used for editing eventual errors in the images, set different contrast, brightness etc.
FPP (Flash Panorama Player) is the engine that's under the hood of the Flashificator. It can be used without my soft, but that means having to hand code everything, which is time consuming, and tedious... even if one is comfortable with coding).
Flashificator is the Graphical User Interface for FPP, enabling complete beginners of panorama creation to get their works up and running in no time. The free version enables simple panoramas to be made in 5 seconds .... including startup of the program, while the full version enables creation of big and complex projects with distorted hotspots, insertion of music, video, photos, maps etc. etc. etc. (read more here).

The process is actually quite simple, and things have become so much easier in the past couple of years. When I started out 4 years ago, I invested in stitching software that costed around 1000 dollars at the time, and one of my first jobs resulted in 32 hours of photo editing/stitching for every panorama I was working on ... it was hard and frustrating. Now I spend no more than 30 minutes on stitching, editing and rendering a pano, when it is in the need for fixing... normally I only spend around 10-15 minutes on any given pano.

For me it is a passion, and started out as a hobby... now it is my hobby, work and enjoyment.

Of course, if you have any more questions, I will be more than happy to try and give you a good and correct answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
Welcome to what is a basically a UK based Olympus E group so some our answers might be a little parochial.
For a more international flavour do look up Four thirds User as well
Thank you ... I know... UK based. I will try to keep questions for my cameras relevant, and hopefully some day be able to give answers to other Olympus users.

After finding this forum, I found a link to the fourthirds-user.com site as well... but I kind of liked the atmosphere here... so here I am.

Trausti
Old 27th June 2009

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trausti Hraunfjord View Post
Thank you ... I know... UK based. I will try to keep questions for my cameras relevant, and hopefully some day be able to give answers to other Olympus users.

After finding this forum, I found a link to the fourthirds-user.com site as well... but I kind of liked the atmosphere here... so here I am.

Trausti
please do hang around... the atmosphere here is a little less formal and I am sure we will all enjoy your images
Old 2nd July 2009
Trausti Hraunfjord

Here 18 more panos from the same project... now I get to the more difficult part of designing the layout and linking everything together in a virtual tour with a map and insertion of descriptions and music etc inside the panos.

Just a simple guide-line for those of you who don't know how these images are viewed:

1. Click one of the thumbnails to load the pano
2. Wait for it to fully load (100%)
3. Click and keep the left mouse button pressed while the mouse cursor is inside the pano and move the mouse to change the viewing direction:
Up: Push the mouse forward
Down: Drag the mouse towards you
Left: Move the mouse to the left
Right: Move the mouse to the right
Zoom in: Rotate the mouse wheel towards you (or use the SHIFT key)
Zoom out: Rotate the mouse wheel away from you (or use the CTRL key)

... or use the dashboard buttons inside the panorama.

System requirements: Flash (version 10 gives the best viewing results) and a browser.