Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 31st October 2018

Liked 126 Times in 42 Posts
Buy new grey import or used UK stock, what would you buy?

Hello All,

If you were buying into the Olympus m4/3 system would you buy the following....

New grey import Olympus body or a used UK stock body?

New grey import Olympus Pro lenses or used UK stock?

The Grey importer based in Surrey would be my preferred supplier, they would have a two to three year shop based warranty on the grey and I guess LCE for example would supply a 6 month warranty.

Many Thanks for any input and your thoughts are appreciated.

KR,

Thomas.

Thomas.
Old 31st October 2018

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts
Re: Buy new grey import or used UK stock, what would you buy?

It would depend on personal preference weighing up the relative costs and warranty remaining. I predominately purchase new.

I have purchased mostly new UK Olympus stock and new grey from HDEW (that's who I think you're referring to). I've never had any issues with kit from HDEW by the way.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 1st November 2018

Liked 4,018 Times in 1,842 Posts

All down to your pocket size. The cameras body is most likely, out of the two to go wrong, so a water tight guarantee is good to have. I do like to look them in the eye when returning faulty goods.

Lenses are far less likely to go wrong. When working up to the kit I have, I bought and sold on Ebay, thus had some protection from faulty goods, and generally a bit cheaper. And if it did not suite it was sellable at a small loss or sometimes a profit!

I have bought a couple of grey import lenses. As they are PRO lenses, that means good quality, and less likely for anything to go wrong. (Touch Wood). The body was bought at the camera show a couple of years ago. Not had any problems with any of my purchases...…

Good luck...

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ224 For This Useful Post:
griffljg (1st November 2018)
Old 1st November 2018

Thanked 1,447 Times in 1,336 Posts
Liked 2,436 Times in 1,154 Posts

I have the same view as Mark above although I've only bought fairly inexpensive stuff from grey stores. I also bought my latest camera from the NEC Photo Show at a good discount. It's well worth considering if you are not in a hurry. Lenses I've often bought second hand preferably off this forum and always had a good deal on quality kit. My best deal from a main retailer was a 40-150 pro lens and 1.4tc from Amazon in a lightening deal about 3 years ago. It was better than anything I've seen even second hand since! Definitely worth watching Amazon deals, they had a good offer on the 12-100 lens recently.
Old 1st November 2018

Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts

Similar views to others really, I mainly prefer buying new UK stock but have bought grey in the past (Canon lenses, due to world wide warranty on the white lenses, but not bodies) and probably would again under similar circumstances. Kit can and does fail but maybe I’ve been lucky all these years and never had to call upon a warranty. If I did I wouldn’t want any hassle if I could avoid it, hence buying new UK stock. I usually end up with two similar bodies which would give some resilience if one should fail but nothing I do photography wise would really matter even so. It’s a hobby not a job for me. To answer your question, I’d only be able to say it depends on circumstances, hobby purchase? make a living purchase, affordability, priority (see hobby / make a living), liking for shiny new stuff? happy buying secondhand with any associated risks? I think I’ve mainly bought from Wex and Amazon in recent years, depending on who had best price at time.
Old 1st November 2018

Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Definitely worth watching Amazon deals, they had a good offer on the 12-100 lens recently.
Grrr.. I saw that posted, I paid full whack a few months ago, no regrets though.
I get a bit frustrated with Amazon at times, often seeing something cheap but then take a few hours to mull it over by which time it’s gone up in price. Any way to spot deals quicker?
Old 1st November 2018
Senior

Liked 162 Times in 62 Posts

I've always bought my cameras from official UK dealers, but have bought a couple of 'grey' lenses from HDEW, the last one being a Leica 12-60 for £499.00, which was a terrific saving, and have never had any problem dealing with HDEW.

My Zenfolio Site
My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight••• Lumix: G9 | LX100 ••• Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 ••• Leica: 100-400 | 12-60••• Samyang: 7.5 fisheye ••• Tamron: 14-150 •
Old 1st November 2018

Thanked 1,447 Times in 1,336 Posts
Liked 2,436 Times in 1,154 Posts

I think you can get them to send you notifications but i've never done it myself so not sure how to set it up Tim.
Old 1st November 2018

Liked 126 Times in 42 Posts

Hello guys,

Many thanks for the opinions, start to look around in the next few weeks

Thomas.