Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 23rd February 2017

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts
Remote (cable) shutter release

I wanted a remote release for my E-M5 Mk 1 but baulked at the high price of the genuine Olympus RM-UC1. Sixty quid for a button, a piece of wire and a USB plug seemed a little on the high side so I checked eBay and am now the proud owner of a Shoot RM-UC1 clone for the pricely sum of 3.75, postage included! It's well built and fully functional, and includes the locking function Olympus charges an extra tenner for.

There's been much criticism on this forum of Oly's excessive prices for accessories, notably lens hoods and AC adaptors. Even if this cheapo remote lasts a tenth as long as the genuine Olympus one I'm still quids in! I wonder how they justify these prices?
The Following User Liked This Post:
Tripleteer (23rd February 2017)
Old 23rd February 2017

Liked 135 Times in 43 Posts
Re: Remote (cable) shutter release

They can't really justify them, but as long as people pay their asking price they'll happily keep charging it!

I don't think I've ever bought a genuine Olympus anything (apart from body & lenses) and have never had any problems at all......
Old 23rd February 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Remote (cable) shutter release

I've bought the Pixel RC-201/E3 Shutter Cable Release with E3 Type Remote Terminal for Canon DSLR, which work really fine with my Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II. Amazon sells it for just 6.49. (Not allowed to send a link here )
Old 23rd February 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I wanted a remote release for my E-M5 Mk 1 but baulked at the high price of the genuine Olympus RM-UC1. Sixty quid for a button, a piece of wire and a USB plug seemed a little on the high side so I checked eBay and am now the proud owner of a Shoot RM-UC1 clone for the pricely sum of 3.75, postage included! It's well built and fully functional, and includes the locking function Olympus charges an extra tenner for.

There's been much criticism on this forum of Oly's excessive prices for accessories, notably lens hoods and AC adaptors. Even if this cheapo remote lasts a tenth as long as the genuine Olympus one I'm still quids in! I wonder how they justify these prices?
Just had one come in the post today,3.75 it works a treat.
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (23rd February 2017)
Old 5th March 2017

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts

I have the JJC branded one. Cannot recall how much I paid for it but certainly under 20. Works very well on the Pen-F.
Old 16th March 2017

Liked 43 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post

Got mine yesterday.
It does not work.
Jeff
Old 16th March 2017

Liked 880 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
Got mine yesterday.
It does not work.
Jeff
Check it is pushed in far enough, the one I have is quite a tight fit!

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 16th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMacD View Post
Check it is pushed in far enough, the one I have is quite a tight fit!
Thanks for advice. But I pushed it as hard as I could but being a USB connection I didn't want to risk being too vigorous.
I am now looking at using my windows smart phone to do the remote, shake free, shutter release.
Jeff
Old 17th March 2017

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

I found mine needed a bit of pressure to seat properly too. The same is true of the USB cable.
Old 17th March 2017

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Before Christmas, I managed to get a couple of Shoot branded ones from eBay for under 2 each (shipped from China). They both work fine on a E-PL7 and EM5 MKII. I have heard that some people have had issues with the connection on some of the 3rd party remotes so ended up taking a Stanley Knife to shave off some of the plastic around the plug to get a better connection
Old 17th March 2017

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

I've switched to using my phone via wifi as a remote. Works well and I don't have to carry additional kit or risk wearing out the connector.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 17th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsuser View Post
Before Christmas, I managed to get a couple of Shoot branded ones from eBay for under 2 each (shipped from China). They both work fine on a E-PL7 and EM5 MKII. I have heard that some people have had issues with the connection on some of the 3rd party remotes so ended up taking a Stanley Knife to shave off some of the plastic around the plug to get a better connection
Mine had a mini USB connector. Is that how your "shoot" remote release connects to the camera ?
With the help of this forum I have connected a remote release app on my smartphone so my crisis is over.
But at 2 a go I'll get one as an alternative reserve to the phone.
Jeff
Old 17th March 2017

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

The only trouble with smartphone app triggers is that you have to fiddle about with cold fingers or hands if it's really cold and wet - at least opening up a finger tip!
Having a nice, positive, real button to click is easier, and best done via wireless or Bluetooth to save opening the ports to the elements as well.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 17th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
The only trouble with smartphone app triggers is that you have to fiddle about with cold fingers or hands if it's really cold and wet - at least opening up a finger tip!
Having a nice, positive, real button to click is easier, and best done via wireless or Bluetooth to save opening the ports to the elements as well.
Also the wifi seems to use a lot of battery juice as I found when fiddling this evening. But. How do I get a positive real button to click ? What kit does that ?
Jeff
Old 18th March 2017

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
Mine had a mini USB connector. Is that how your "shoot" remote release connects to the camera ?
With the help of this forum I have connected a remote release app on my smartphone so my crisis is over.
But at 2 a go I'll get one as an alternative reserve to the phone.
Jeff
The connector should be the same as on the Olympus USB cable to connect to the PC to update firmware. If you search eBay for rm-uc1 and look at the cheapest, they should currently be around 2.09. The only thing with ordering from overseas is that it can take around 4 weeks to get to you but it's worth it for the cost saving.