Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 9th August 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Angry Flash issues

I have two issues with the flash for E-M1, can anyone advise?
First the little flash they supply under-exposes very badly. It does not appear to have anything like the power of a built-in or compact. My FL36 is OK.

Second, p50 of the manual appears to be totally wrong. To reach the flash options, you cannot switch the lever to position 2 and press the AF button as it shows. Instead of the flash controls, the AF and AE controls come up as usual.
Old 9th August 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Flash issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovingMike View Post

Second, p50 of the manual appears to be totally wrong. To reach the flash options, you cannot switch the lever to position 2 and press the AF button as it shows. Instead of the flash controls, the AF and AE controls come up as usual.
It depends what function you've got the lever to perform. There are 5 options (6 if you count "Off"). Page 101 may help.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 9th August 2014

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

My assumption was (and is) that the small flash supplied with the E-M1 kit was intended primarily to service an RC Mode flash, rather than provide a full service, if I may express it like that. I did try to use it as a fill flash on a sunny day, not unsuccessfully, but in general I think an external flash (Metz TTL in my case) is to be preferred.
Old 10th August 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallcreep View Post
My assumption was (and is) that the small flash supplied with the E-M1 kit was intended primarily to service an RC Mode flash, rather than provide a full service, if I may express it like that. I did try to use it as a fill flash on a sunny day, not unsuccessfully, but in general I think an external flash (Metz TTL in my case) is to be preferred.
Thanks, but p50 makes it totally clear that this unit is intended to provide all flash functions, including slow sync and manual. There is no suggestion that it can't. If Oly ever reply, I will post.
Old 10th August 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
It depends what function you've got the lever to perform. There are 5 options (6 if you count "Off"). Page 101 may help.
Thanks but can you explain? P101 appears to say nothing about that lever being able to select the flash modes. It certainly is not covered on p50 or before, so looks like a total error the way they have it.
Old 10th August 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

In the setup menu, Gear B, put "Lever 2 +" to "On". Then you can use the back half of the "rewind button" to change flash options when the lever is in position 2.

I agree the manual is not the clearest in the world, but like most functions on this camera it's easiest to find out by trying various options.

And yes, the flash is intended to act as a normal flash, albeit a low-powered one. You just have to make sure that you haven't got flash compensation turned down. Sorry I can't help more with that but I never use flash of any description. Others will be better qualified than I to help!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 18th November 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have exactly the same issue as RovingMike, in that the flash underexposes. I have tried flash compensation set to +3, -3, and 0, all with exactly the same results.
Are we both doing something wrong ?
Old 18th November 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I did get a reply from Oly and it basically said this is weaker than a built in flash and expressed no surprise that the results were awful. Why they should go to such lengths to make something that is well short of fit for purpose was not explained.
Old 18th November 2014
Administrator

Liked 1,623 Times in 936 Posts

With a Guide Number of 10 (ISO 200) anything beyond 2.8m will be underexposed at a setting of f/5.0

There are several GN calculators available and it's always worthwhile having an idea of what to expect...

http://dpanswers.com/content/genrc_flash_calc.php

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 18th November 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I took a photo of my feet under my desk - flash on "full power", f5.6, manual focus at a couple of feet (!), ISO 200 - could hardly see anything on the image. It was only when I upped to ISO 1600 could I start to make any sense on the image.
This can't be right, surely ?
Old 18th November 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I used it at f2.8 / ISO 200 and it didn't correctly expose a settee 2.5 m away. I could not find any situation in which it could be used on low ISO (which is after all, the point).
Old 19th November 2014

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

While the clip on flash has its limitations I do not have the problems described unless of course I inadvertently have the flash set to RC mode.

Tags
flash