Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 7th May 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Buying From America

I appreciate this might be a bit indelicate on a site sponsored by Olympus UK but I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on buying from the US. Specifically is the 1 year warranty a worldwide supported one? ie could I contact Olympus UK in the first year if I have a problem.
Reason I ask is my daughter is presently in Washington. I've checked B&H prices and I could get the OM-D body + 14-42mm lens for 680. As well as this their offer is the MMF-3 free (you pay $179 but claim it back). A second offer is to buy the 40-150mm at the same time and get that for approx 100. I'm really tempted.
Old 7th May 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: Buying From America

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie allan View Post
I appreciate this might be a bit indelicate on a site sponsored by Olympus UK but I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on buying from the US. Specifically is the 1 year warranty a worldwide supported one? ie could I contact Olympus UK in the first year if I have a problem.
Reason I ask is my daughter is presently in Washington. I've checked B&H prices and I could get the OM-D body + 14-42mm lens for 680. As well as this their offer is the MMF-3 free (you pay $179 but claim it back). A second offer is to buy the 40-150mm at the same time and get that for approx 100. I'm really tempted.
I was going to do this back in April but then decided not to get the OM-D. But the Oly warranty was 2 years online if you register your purchase. However, I think you have to show purchase proof to claim
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 7th May 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Chevvy,
I think the 2 year warranty is only on purchases within the EU. I just wondered if anyone had purchased any Olympus kit abroad and were able to use Olympus UK for within the 1 year warranty repairs - if needed.
From all of the reviews I've read and the posts here I'm really interested in the OM-D. I think the deal in the US is a pretty good one where you could end up with the camera, 14-42,40-150 and MMF-3 for less than 800.
My main problem is there is nowhere in the central belt in Scotland that you can go handle the camera - no one has it. What I have realised however is that it has very similar dimensions and weight to my old OM-10

OM-10 135 X 85 X 35 - W x H x D excluding the lens mount. Weight 425gms approx according to my kitchen scales
OM-D 121 X 89 X 42 Weight 425gms including battery

On that basis I think I could live without the grip and battery holder. Maybe I could go back to the ever ready case.
Old 7th May 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
My main problem is there is nowhere in the central belt in Scotland that you can go handle the camera - no one has it.
I have it - you're more than welcome to come over here and try mine.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
jamie allan (7th May 2012)
Old 7th May 2012

Liked 359 Times in 149 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

I suspect it's more than a warranty issue. US prices seldom include local sales tax which can add a bob or two. HMRC will want VAT off you as well.

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 7th May 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

David,
I've gone through the B&H site to checkout and there is no added sales tax. I appreciate that bringing the camera into the country has its issues but if its in your luggage there is little chance that HMRC is going to question its purchase.

Stephen,
Thanks for the offer I'd really like to see the camera in the flesh - so to speak. I work in Edinburgh Mondays and Fridays - this week Tuesday due to the holiday. Would it be possible to arrange something soon?
Thanks again for the offer.
Old 7th May 2012

Liked 71 Times in 34 Posts

We visited the US a couple of years ago and I had every intention of buying a lens from one of the big camera shops there. All looked good until you added the tax onto the price, and then with the exchange rate being low at the time it was just about as cheap to buy one here, and if bought here you had the peace of mind that the warranty gives you.
One thing I did like over there is the fact that the camera shops seemed to stock Olympus gear and you could try a lens on your camera, or even actually hold a camera in your hands before buying it.

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
The Following User Says Thank You to jonesy For This Useful Post:
jamie allan (7th May 2012)
Old 7th May 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
David,
I've gone through the B&H site to checkout and there is no added sales tax. I appreciate that bringing the camera into the country has its issues but if its in your luggage there is little chance that HMRC is going to question its purchase.
From some recent posts on FTU it seems that as US sales taxes are levied at different levels by each individual state companies like B&H do not include sales tax on internet sales for "out of state" purchasers. US citizens are supposed to declare such purchases on their Tax Return (yeah, I bet they do). However if you purchase "over the counter" in one of their stores they will automatically add the local sales tax.

From many years experience of international travel on business I would advise never to chance your luck with HMRC. If they find a high value item in your luggage they will certainly question its purchase and ask to see a receipt. They also have a database of serial numbers of all items which have been legitimately imported into the UK. With today's concerns over security and drug smuggling I suspect that at least a proportion of incoming baggage is also X-rayed. If you are caught going through the Green Channel with an undeclared item you will certainly have to pay the VAT and any import duty plus they may confiscate the item or fine you or all three!
Add to this the risk of pilfering by baggage handlers and it doesn't seem worthwhile.
Sorry if this is all negative but I don't think it's worth the risk.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.