Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 27th February 2012

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
lens fittings help

can some one tell me the following please
a: do panasonic lumix 4/3 rds lenses fit my E510 ?
b: which adapter for OM lenses is best
c: which OM lenses are any good

thanks
Old 27th February 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: lens fittings help

a)yes
b) make sure it has the adjusting plate if a honk kong special
c) http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...f1instcomp.pdf
E500 - E600 - E620 - HLD5 x2 - 17.5-45mm - 14-42mm - 14-45mm - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - 25mm f2.8 - 40-150mmMI (3.5) - Sirius 60-300mm f4-5.6 - Chinon 55mm f1.4 - Chinon 200mm f3.5 - FL50 - FL36 - Raynox DCR2020PRO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photonutter/
Old 27th February 2012

Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts

I wouldn't bother with any zooms, OM or otherwise. You would have to keep changing the focal length is the IS menu and the quality wouldn't be as good as the primes.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 27th February 2012

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

there is a chap selling a Sigma 400mm prime in MD fitting that he has for sale on the Lumix forum, he says he uses it on his 4/3rds lumix camera's ? how ?
thanks

here is a link to his sale
http://www.lumixlifestyle.co.uk/foru...hp?f=20&t=2269

thanks chaps
Old 27th February 2012

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Also how do the OM fitting converters stack up against the new models ?
iv'e seen a few Olympus 2x etc converters quite cheap ? or is there a good reason they are cheap ?

Dave are you saying the Primes are OK but not the zoom's ?
Old 27th February 2012

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I was looking at something like this
ebay Item number: 170780437681 ?
Old 27th February 2012

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

yes John I know there are two different lenses, credit me with some intelligence please,
what I was asking (as I was browsing Ebay) was if these lenses where any good as they offer the range providing I can use them, now I started with and SLR 30 years ago, even had my own darkroom (still have all the gear for developing film) so using manual lenses isn't a bad things, in some ways i prefer them, anyway I was asking due to my lack of knowledge with DSLR equiptment, I was looking at the Sigma 400mm on ebay and asked a question, the guy pointed me to the lumix forum so I am aware that the lens is for sale on ebay as well, what I wanted to know was how he got it to work with 4/3 rd's sytem as it's in MD fitting (fit my minolta film camera mind ) anyway after googling some stuff I found out you can basically buy an adapter to fit just about any lens to any camera.
Right that's that out of the way, now can anyone tell me are these sigma 400mm primes any good ? and what would they be on the E510, 800mm ? equivelent ? if so I can live with the manual operation and the price is good.
I can't believe the price of the ec14 and ec20 so i can't see me getting one of them any time soon, but as i am disabled i need some length to make up for the fact i can't access places i wan't to. Please forgive all the questions but i am really serious about this camera stuff for more reasons than most, I have seen several 70 - 300mm zuiko zooms around the 250 mark and having owned one before had some success with moon shots but I would have loved an extra few hundred mm's of zoom.
At the moment I am feeling my way into the Olympus DSLR system and it's hard work, my eyes have read so much stuff on the pc they are burning right now but it's the only way to learn and I thank everyone for their help
Old 27th February 2012

Liked 195 Times in 130 Posts

If you can find one, the 400mm Tokina SD seems reasonably regarded, even for digital use, though they are not east to find.
http://www.markptak.com/tests/tokina400mm/index.htm.
N.B. I do mean the SD Prime version, rather than the RMC prime or 80-400mm zooms.

Good luck with manual focussing in the small viewfinder though.

Here you go;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokina-SD-400-mm-Tele-F-5-6-Manual-Focus-Minolta-Rokkor-/140708474190?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Objektive&hash=i tem20c2e0ed4e

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!

Last edited by peak4; 27th February 2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Found one
Old 27th February 2012

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

thanks chaps, just won an zuiko Olympus 70 - 300mm for 175 on ebay which seems a reasonable price
Old 27th February 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
yes John I know there are two different lenses, credit me with some intelligence please,
With that opening line it is a wonder any one would want to help you.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 27th February 2012

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

yes your right i apologise sincerely, unfortuanatly I am not very well and having a bad week after some very bad news and as such im a bit grumpy, I didn't mean to offend anyone, although I don't particularly think your angry face is much better ? did I offend you personally ? so your reply COULD be seen as stirring trouble ?
sorry John
Old 27th February 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sorry to hear of your predictament. You still need to think carefully about what you write and how you actually write it.

Taz - If I had wanted to offend you believe me when I say I could have done that in a much finer tone than i did,only the moderators might have had something to say !

Subject closed I think.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 28th February 2012

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

quite Benedict,
so shall we get back to the point of the original thread and put this behind us ?
if you have anything to add I am all ears as getting this right could help me health wise, as i have become something of a hermit of late. I am 50 yo and on 400 tablets a week, 3 injections per day and large amounts of ultimate gold standard pain relief, I really need to re kindle what was once a big hobby of mine, if only to give me something to focus on, other than pain.
now with some help I did manage some decent shot's of the moon with my E410 and 70 - 300 Olympus lens 18 months ago, right now we have an interesting night sky and I would like to try and better my last attempts at astro photography (if that's the correct term)
I wish I could afford the EC14 or EC20 but alas 300 + is just not an option any time soon, so I am trying to find other ways round the problem, as the long lenses will be used on quite static objects speed isn't a problem, just length and sharpness
thanks
Old 28th February 2012

Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Also how do the OM fitting converters stack up against the new models ?
iv'e seen a few Olympus 2x etc converters quite cheap ? or is there a good reason they are cheap ?

Dave are you saying the Primes are OK but not the zoom's ?
It seems that you now have a pretty decent telephoto zoom that is made for digital. The OM zooms, in my experience, are not as good as thy primes as, remember, many are 30 years plus and designed for film. Using manual focus on any of the three-digit E series cameras, such as your E-510 won't be the easiest thing in the world due to the tunnel-like viewfinder and the lack of a split image to help you although I believe you may be to get third party ones (as i did for my E-500 when i had some OM lenses). Not too bad on my E-3 though. OM convertors will work best with OM lenses but with ZD lenses all automation is lost, and quality will be compromised.
Hope this helps.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 28th February 2012

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks Dave, it looks like I will be sticking with what iv'e got for now.
having aquired the 70 - 300mm zuiko yesterday on ebay for 175 I now have the two kit lenses and that to play with, I think listening to people on here the next step will be aquiring an EC14 in the future unless a bigma pops up for buttons ?