Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 5th August 2011

Liked 1,500 Times in 376 Posts
UV filters?

Hi

I haven't purchased any UV filters for quite a few years, have been using various brands (Hoya, B+W, Tiffen) and wonder if there are any ones that are today regarded high quality with little negative impact on performance of digital SLR. Also are there any noticeable differences between grades, are there any ones that stand out? (good or bad)

My question may seem a bit broad but before spending money on new filters I would like to listen to your opinions.

Thanks,
Tord
Old 5th August 2011
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: UV filters?

I no longer tend to use any filter as a 'lens protector' - on any of my kit now. Yes of course, you need to take the usual good care when handling lenses and especially when placing them down on surfaces etc, but I don't see the point of putting a piece of cheap glass in front of a relatively very expensive piece of glass...!

Old 5th August 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
I no longer tend to use any filter as a 'lens protector' - on any of my kit now. Yes of course, you need to take the usual good care when handling lenses and especially when placing them down on surfaces etc, but I don't see the point of putting a piece of cheap glass in front of a relatively very expensive piece of glass...!
Ditto here as well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 5th August 2011
abacus180

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Does that apply to all filters?
Old 5th August 2011
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacus180 View Post
Does that apply to all filters?
Of course... but when all the filter does essentially is add an additional layer of glass in front of the lens as pseudo protection for it - without any additional benefit or result, then this is, in my opinion, just not worth it.

If you are trying to do something with say an ND grad, or a 10-stopper ND110, or perhaps an IR720 filter - these are not so easily achieved without the use of the filter.

Doing this with these filters allows you to achieve more than just adding another layer of cheap glass in front of the lens.