Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 9th May 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Open and Candid Opinions Required

Hello all

I've come to enjoy and trust this place as a refuge from the banal "that's nice" comments

Because of that I'd like to ask your opinions on my newly launched website. I can take constructive criticisms and, like everyone else, I do appreciate the odd ego boost...

So please, go take a look at www.vale-images.co.uk and come back here and tell me what you think. Anything you can suggest to improve the content will be welcomed. The design is more or less fixed, but I control what's on there.

Thanks for your time
Ceri

(Latest Work)

Equipment - Olympus stuff - 'nuff said
Old 9th May 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Open and Candid Opinions Required

I like it. Simple but effective.
Old 9th May 2011
Administrator

Liked 554 Times in 301 Posts

Hi Ceri

The quality of the pictures is good of course (nothing less expected from members of this forum). In terms of content you simply need to add more as you feel ready

The dark colour and theme show if the pictures in general (mind you it seems to get lighter when you view them)

In terms of function I have a biy more of a worry.

I find the navigation a little slow and the picture load times quite slow considering the small file sizes, but that may be my connection it's been a bit ropy lately (we're defined as a rural phone line on the outskirts of cardiff )

Another thing - some of your portrait images take up a lot of pixels vertically - OK on a big sreen, but a lot of people look at pictures on a acreen only 768 pixels high and your website gallery app doesn't resize if people are looking using a screen that size - if the gallery app doesn't autoresize for you I suggest maybe limiting to 600 pixels high for most people to see them clearly

And finally a suggestion - your pictures are not visibly watermarked and have no protection from download - I would look for any options to protect your images from being pinched or at least fill the EXIF /IPTC fields with your name - it's all too common and with good pictures like these worth taking 10 minutes

On my site I use a flash based viewer to protect the images from download - I don't know whether that is ultimately effective, but it stops the obvious RH mouse option

Hope that helps a little

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 9th May 2011

Liked 132 Times in 74 Posts

Hi Ceri, Nice simple but effective layout. I echo Andy's comments above re: copyright protection, maybe you could use a very faint watermark. Or you could reduce the size of the full image and keep the quality really low by using high compression. Speaking as a web designer myself I wouldn't worry too much about the vertical height of your webpages (sorry Andy) as it is perfectly acceptable to vertically scroll a page but most definitely not sideways - but yours doesn't anyway. However, it would be preferable to try and keep your full image size down so that each picture will fit within a browser window, no problems with having photos stacked vertically though as long as each is with the confines of the window.

Using Flash does prevent the "right click and save" option but anyone wishing to pinch a photo can still use the PrintScreen method and save straight into PhotoShop.

Edit: Forgot to add also that with Windows 7 there is the Snipping tool which allows easy cropping of Flash images.

One thing I did notice, your thumbnails are all different sizes. I would recommend you keep them all to a uniform size and that will mean cropping some photos. A thumbnail doesn't always have to show a complete miniature of the full image, a "porthole" from the most interesting part of the image is sometimes far more effective and leaves a little to the imagination until the whole image is revealed. I would also make all your full images a consistent size too; say 640x480px or 800x600px.

Some really nice images on your site Ceri, well done.

Steve
Old 9th May 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Great stuff guys - thank you very much

The big problem's sorted - watermarks now applied to all images + copyright metadata reinstated.

I'll take all of your comments on board over the next few days - the clikpic site is very good for building a site but it does have its limitations (such as not displaying thumbnails in a uniform way). I know there are ways around these problems but I've yet to work them out.

To other forum users - please do take a look and comment if the urge takes you

(Latest Work)

Equipment - Olympus stuff - 'nuff said
Old 10th May 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Hang about ... wrong thread ... carry on.

I'll have a look later.
Old 10th May 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

I like simple websites and this one is nicely simple.
Everything works but ;
Hi Ceri, have you tried it with plugins (flash) off?
Using Opera 9.63 with Java ON but Flash OFF the gallery menu is displayed dropped-down and obscuring the artsy quote intro.
It doesn't take long to install and test with each of IE, Firefox, Opera and Chrome, although older versions (like mine) may show up glitches.

In neither Home nor contactMe is there a biography or even an indication that you're a cardiff-based photographer. You could stick a little note into both of those sections maybe? I had to divulge that information from Links : Rhiwbina Camera Club
Old 10th May 2011

Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts

Nicely laid out,easy to navigate around my only criticism would be the images are a little on the small size to be appreciated.

Nice work
Old 10th May 2011

Liked 1,502 Times in 377 Posts

Hi,

Some feedback after having a look at your site.

The photos are really good. They seem quite compressed but I guess that is intentional.

The design is clean and navigation is easy. I have some thoughts:
- Have you considered how to address if/when the number of galleries grows beyond the limit for what can be displayed within one frame?
- Vertical alignment: You seem to have used alignment of top borders, I believe that aligning the bottom of the thumnails would have enhanced the general impression of the galleries
- Links: consider removing this text (that I guess comes from a template): "Use this section to add links to other sites. This section is optional."
- Text readibility: The text in light grey on gray background is hard to read.
- Lastly, some elements are not perpectly centred horizontally, there seems to be a slight offset towards the left (now I am picky).

BR
/Tord

Tags
ceri vale, website, www.vale-images.co.uk