Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 13th April 2011

Liked 753 Times in 499 Posts
50-200 Mk I vs SWD

I have an early 50-200 that goes back to E-1 days. It's optically great (subject to the operator getting it right, of course) but can sometimes be slow to focus. Prompted by offers for sale on here of the SWD version, I was wondering how significant the differences are in practice.

I use it mainly for sport, specifically rugby, with the EC-14 converter if the light isn't too bad. Recently I took the plunge and switched from single AF plus anticipation to continuous, and I think the results are better as I get the hang of it. but it can still be rather slow and miss the action at times. I have never tried sequence shooting, but am thinking about being really brave and giving it a go.

Does anyone have any comparative experience of the two versions for this sort of work? Particularly bearing in mind that the light on a sports field at 4pm in December can be appalling?

Thanks in anticipation ... John
Old 13th April 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts
Re: 50-200 Mk I vs SWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
I have an early 50-200 that goes back to E-1 days. It's optically great (subject to the operator getting it right, of course) but can sometimes be slow to focus. Prompted by offers for sale on here of the SWD version, I was wondering how significant the differences are in practice.

I use it mainly for sport, specifically rugby, with the EC-14 converter if the light isn't too bad. Recently I took the plunge and switched from single AF plus anticipation to continuous, and I think the results are better as I get the hang of it. but it can still be rather slow and miss the action at times. I have never tried sequence shooting, but am thinking about being really brave and giving it a go.

Does anyone have any comparative experience of the two versions for this sort of work? Particularly bearing in mind that the light on a sports field at 4pm in December can be appalling?

Thanks in anticipation ... John
Optically, there is no noticeable difference between the SWD and Mark 1. The optics are slightly altered in order to accommodate the SWD ring motor, but in tests I could not see any difference in image quality. You will indeed see a much better focus speed, both S-AF and continuous, especially if you have an E-3, E-30, or E-5. It's also audibly quieter if that is important!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 13th April 2011

Liked 753 Times in 499 Posts
Re: 50-200 Mk I vs SWD

Thanks Ian, that sounds encouraging. I thought about hiring one to see the difference in practice, but the season is nearly over and the light is much better now, specially since the clocks went forward, so it wouldn't be a very good test.

All further comments welcome.....

John