Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 31st March 2011
Four Thirds User

Arrow So which camera is the resolution king?

Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com) is a sibling site to the e-group.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 has 16 megapixels to play with, 25% more than all its Micro Four Thirds or Four Thirds stablemates. But the Olympus E-5 has its now famed super-sharp 12 megapixel sensor. So which is king? We compare the GH2, E-5, and throw in the E-30 and E-3 for good measure.

More...
Old 31st March 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,561 Times in 2,169 Posts
Re: So which camera is the resolution king?

Interesting results. Trouble is, now I want an E-5 more than ever!

The graph also shows that I would do well to trade my E-3 for an E-30, at least in terms of resolution, but I'm not going to!

Two questions I have, Ian. Would the extra resolution of the E-5 (over the E-3) be noticable in prints of all sizes? If not, at approximately what print size would it become noticable?

Thanks.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 31st March 2011

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

Glad I got the E30
Old 1st April 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Robusto

Glad i am getting the E30 as well and yet so many others were advising me to go for the E3

Martyn
Olympus E30, HLD4 Grip E520 E300 HLD3 Grip, Pen E-PL1 Zuiko m14-42mm
Zuiko OM 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8 , 80-200mm
ZD 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14-54mm, 40-150mm ,50-200mm , 70-300mm, 35mm Macro , EX-25
Sigma 50-500mm To be Obtained
Olympus FL36R ;Metz Flash 28AF-30
http://cannoncannonphotography.webs.com/
Old 1st April 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,561 Times in 2,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robusto View Post
Glad i am getting the E30 as well and yet so many others were advising me to go for the E3
Fair comment in terms of pure resolution. It's got more pixels and a later sensor and processor so it should be better. However, the E-3 has other qualities and using it just seems to arm you with a confidence that comes through in your pictures.

The question is how much resolution do you need? It's a bit like buying a car, do you get the 1.6 litre or the 2.0 litre model? Your budget might allow for the 1.6 with luxury trim and features or the 2.0 basic model. You have to decide, based on your type of driving, whether extra power or improved comfort and better features are more important to you.

Both engines will cruise happily at 70mph, although the 2.0 litre will reach that speed a little quicker. The E-3 produces lovely 16x12 prints, bigger than that I don't know - I've never tried. However, it's fair to assume that beyond this size the E-30 would hold an increasing advantage, although we're not talking huge margins here.

In terms of resolution, for my landscapes I'd do better, in theory, to use my Pen E-PL1 instead of my E-3, but I don't.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st April 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,287 Posts
Liked 1,779 Times in 803 Posts

In real world shooting I found that the difference in resolving power between the E-30 and E-3 was marginal, but the extra pixels of the E-30 made details easier to pixel-peep! The E-5 has more contrast in fine details, which does make detail stand out more.

Ian

PS nobody has commented on the article on FTU yet - I wonder if they suspect it's an April Fools! (it isn't!)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 1st April 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

In relative "Car Terms" I am still with my Mini Countryman CMT909A ! It travels well; gives great MPG returns on fuel; has the "Estate/Telephoto" capacity and yet a MACRO footprint (for easy parking)!

E1 ! and I am so glad that Olympus 4/3 lenses are compat with E5 as maybe I shall buy an E5 next year ....

BUT strangely my E20P for MACRO - I often wonder if I could get an E1 Power & Drive Train upgrade (as it is s o p a i n f u l l y s l o w

My Friendly smiling Frog is E20P MACRO + Telecon Wide - Ian why is it such a good image from this old camera?

I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album