Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > Flash

Flash FL-related discussions can be found here.

Old 18th September 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Off camera flash and alternate flash units (speedlights) to the FL's

Hi All

My next challenge in my love of photography is a foray into the dark and mysterious world of off-camera flash shots, in the form of dusk/night time speedlight stuff. I love some of the shots I have seen in the strobist groups on flickr, especially with portraiture.

Now I appreciate, that when using a flash off-camera that unless you're using the FL-36r/50r you are not going to have TTL metering, and as such, most of the shots (as in the case of studio flash) are manually set up i.e. the camera and each of the flash units.

As I only have the single FL-50 flash unit, does anyone here have any suggestions as to which additional flash unit I could go for. I am assuming I don't need a very expensive one and could get away with one that, as long as it fires when the remote triggering system tells it to fire (iShoot triggers probably - maybe another thread on that one), and I can manually adjust the settings according to what I want, this all I need...?

I could purchase a FL-36 or two, but do I need to pay 100 for each of those when I could purchase other flash units that would do the job.

All advice welcome, thanks folks.

Old 18th September 2010

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts
Re: Off camera flash and alternate flash units (speedlights) to the FL's

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Hi All

My next challenge in my love of photography is a foray into the dark and mysterious world of off-camera flash shots, in the form of dusk/night time speedlight stuff. I love some of the shots I have seen in the strobist groups on flickr, especially with portraiture.

Now I appreciate, that when using a flash off-camera that unless you're using the FL-36r/50r you are not going to have TTL metering, and as such, most of the shots (as in the case of studio flash) are manually set up i.e. the camera and each of the flash units.

As I only have the single FL-50 flash unit, does anyone here have any suggestions as to which additional flash unit I could go for. I am assuming I don't need a very expensive one and could get away with one that, as long as it fires when the remote triggering system tells it to fire (iShoot triggers probably - maybe another thread on that one), and I can manually adjust the settings according to what I want, this all I need...?

I could purchase a FL-36 or two, but do I need to pay 100 for each of those when I could purchase other flash units that would do the job.

All advice welcome, thanks folks.
If you are using Ishoot or similar triggers, then the world is your oyster. I don't think there is the trigger voltage worry that way. Even so its best to get a flash that uses 6v or less to trigger just in case.

I use a Nikon SB28 I bought from a friend. Really well made flash, Tilt swivel, down to 1/64th power but so expensive on ebay. This whole Strobist thing means they fetch 80 and upwards even though they are a long defunct model.

I also have a Sunpak 433D which is rather more affordable: That does tilt and swivel, 3 auto settings and 5 manual power settings down to 1/16th. Not so well made as the Nikon but (providing you can get one) about 25-35 on ebay.

Finally I can recommend the Vivitar FD550. About 5 on ebay. Tilt only. Three auto settings and one manual setting. Well made unit from a good manufacturer. Not as controllable as the other two. All three are low voltage trigger.

Despite all this - I don't do as much trigger flash as I intended. Maybe its a project for the winter..

Just my 2p.

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
The Following User Says Thank You to snaarman For This Useful Post:
Ulfric M Douglas (18th September 2010)
Old 18th September 2010

Thanks for the info there Pete.. much appreciated.

I am also after this trigger kit...

http://www.ukhighland.com/ecom-prodshow/PT04A_3Rec.html

I assume this is the type to go for...?

Old 18th September 2010

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Thanks for the info there Pete.. much appreciated.

I am also after this trigger kit...

http://www.ukhighland.com/ecom-prodshow/PT04A_3Rec.html

I assume this is the type to go for...?

The transmitter looks identical to mine, the receivers look like fancier versions of mine.

I have no complaints about my gear, so they get my vote..

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 18th September 2010

Super, thanks again Pete.

I've ordered them, as well as a YN 460II flash unit. I may also get another of these units too, depending on the quality of the one on its way to me. Either that, or I will get a second hand FL36.

I am now making arrangements for a model and sorting a location for a type of shoot I've been wanting to do for a little while but never had (1) the kit, or (2) the bottle to ask a model if she'd be willing

Old 18th September 2010
Radar

I'm using a Fl-36 and a YN-460 II with radio triggers and umbrellas and it works fine. Easy to find what GN to use as well :

Distance from flash to subject x f-stop = GN
subject 3 meters away on f4 gives GN12 on ISO100

If you're using a shoot-through umbrella calculate for 0.7-1EV loss of light and on a reflective umbrella you've got to calculate with 0.3-0.6EV loss of light. Remember that if you use a reflective umbrella you've got to calculate the distance from the flash, into the umbrella and back again.