Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 4,048 Times in 1,858 Posts
External SSD drive

If I was to buy an external SSD drive, what size is good?

I know, how long is a piece of string? My main requirement is to speed up LR and PS loading, and other not so often used programmes, and maybe put the OS (W10) onto it....

I see there are 250GB SSDs for reasonable prices...…….What if it fails , presumably back ups deal with that scenario...……..

Any pitfalls and general advice appreciated...

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 592 Times in 305 Posts
Re: External SSD drive

Plenty of 1T drives around now at good prices, USB3 and self powered by the USB connection. That's what I'd go for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith-369 For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,734 Times in 1,116 Posts

Backup using 'clonezilla':

https://clonezilla.org

You can backup any OS with it.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
The Following User Liked This Post:
son of sid (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
Plenty of 1T drives around now at good prices, USB3 and self powered by the USB connection. That's what I'd go for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Backup using 'clonezilla':

https://clonezilla.org

You can backup any OS with it.

Jim
Thanks both. Sounds though I should be able to get W10 OS onto a 1TB SSD, and hey presto, avoid buying a new pooter…...

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,525 Times in 1,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
That would be a good plan, but if the machine doesn't have USB 3 sockets then you wouldn't gain anything in the way of speed.

Recent spinning hard drives are also quite quick for keeping data on. Things slow down though when you have virtual memory on a spinning disk.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Thanks both. Sounds though I should be able to get W10 OS onto a 1TB SSD, and hey presto, avoid buying a new pooter…...
If you're going to do that, I would recommend getting the Samsung 860 EVO 1T SSD. Got mine from Amazon at £127.99 (if you buy from Amazon themselves rather than a trader). It has better technology than the cheaper OVO version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=samsung...b_sb_ss_i_4_15

MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I am hoping this Device manager screenshots says that all three USB pots are 3.0...………

Otherwise I will have to go for the internal SSD...……...

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

The one I mentioned, the Samsung 860 Evo, is an internal sata drive but USB3 caddys to hold it are very cheap and reliable if you wanted an external drive. Doing it that way, you can use the drive as an internal one later down the line if you wanted to. Best of both worlds.

edit to add - I bought an inateck FE2004 case (again from Amazon) and it works perfectly with SSD and standard 2.5inch drives.

MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 411 Times in 174 Posts
Send a message via MSN to griffljg

Hi Mark,

A bit of a round-about tale, but here goes:

A couple of years ago, my then 6 year old iMac was getting unacceptably slow. I had already added a 4TB external mechanical drive to hold all my photos and so the internal 2TB mechanical drive was nowhere near even a quarter full. The slowness problem was nothing that the addition of a bit of RAM (from 12GB to 32GB) and a defrag wouldn't fix, but the internal drive was getting a bit old anyway. How much longer would it last?

I applied my old university days professor's adage: Take as much space as you think you'll need and triple it. With the photos now moved onto the external drive, the old prof's suggestion led me to about 1TB. (250GB + a bit extra for a "buffer" and then multiply by 3.) This fitted in well with the fact that internal 1TB internal SSD drives were at a bit of a "sweet spot" just then.

So I upgraded the iMac by expanding the RAM from 12GB to 32GB and the replaced the 2TB internal mechanical hard disk drive with a 1TB internal SSD drive. That has totally transformed the iMac and given it a whole new lease of life..... Except that I can't upgrade it past "High Sierra" as the new versions of the operating system don't have support for the old graphics cards.

After two years, the 1TB internal SSD is just over half full and so it looks like the old prof's rule is working well.

So....... Take as much space as you think you will need and multiply by three. Actually, he used the same rule for extimating how long a software development task would take (for project management purposes), but that is another story.

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griffljg For This Useful Post:
blu-by-u (4 Weeks Ago), MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago), pault (4 Weeks Ago)
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts

The USB 3 ones are usually the blue ones (inside socket). cheaper to possibly buy a USB caddy and pop a 250GB Drive in there to test for about £40. Will W10 run off USB? Never tried it. MacOS does but don’t know about Windows.
Or have I missed the point?
The Following User Says Thank You to TimP For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,651 Times in 816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
If I was to buy an external SSD drive, what size is good?

I know, how long is a piece of string? My main requirement is to speed up LR and PS loading, and other not so often used programmes, and maybe put the OS (W10) onto it....

I see there are 250GB SSDs for reasonable prices...…….What if it fails , presumably back ups deal with that scenario...……..

Any pitfalls and general advice appreciated...
There is no point in getting a fast external SSD drive if your PC doesn't have a USB3 port. (Or even USB 3.1)

If it does then make sure the SSD has the right adapter first. Its a minefield picking one that works best.

If you only have USB2 ports on your PC then it really is a waste of money as the bandwidth through the USB bus cant handle the SSD speed. In that case, just get a fast hard disk external disk drive which is way cheaper.

You would get more performance improvement by replacing the internal hard disk in your PC/Laptop with an SSD. I have done that on my HP laptop and it makes it fly. Cost less than £90 for 500GB.

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks all, I am going to replace the internal HD with an SSD...……...

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
blu-by-u (4 Weeks Ago), griffljg (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,651 Times in 816 Posts

I did a search on youtube and found a video showing step by step how to replace the internal drive with an SSD for exactly my model of laptop it can be a bit fiddly and each laptop model is different.

Also, make sure first you have the software that can copy the window system across to the SSD correctly. The internal drive is connected directly to a SATA interface and there are different variants with different pinouts again check compatibility first.

Finally if you just get the bare SSD you will need a SATA to USB adapter in order to get the Windows system on to the SSD before you install it.

Here is a link to the video I used for my HP laptop. there are similar ones for other models

Here is link explaining how to transfer the software. (the guys' accent will make you pay attention

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 709 Times in 378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffljg View Post
Hi Mark,

A bit of a round-about tale, but here goes:

A couple of years ago, my then 6 year old iMac was getting unacceptably slow. I had already added a 4TB external mechanical drive to hold all my photos and so the internal 2TB mechanical drive was nowhere near even a quarter full. The slowness problem was nothing that the addition of a bit of RAM (from 12GB to 32GB) and a defrag wouldn't fix, but the internal drive was getting a bit old anyway. How much longer would it last?

I applied my old university days professor's adage: Take as much space as you think you'll need and triple it. With the photos now moved onto the external drive, the old prof's suggestion led me to about 1TB. (250GB + a bit extra for a "buffer" and then multiply by 3.) This fitted in well with the fact that internal 1TB internal SSD drives were at a bit of a "sweet spot" just then.

So I upgraded the iMac by expanding the RAM from 12GB to 32GB and the replaced the 2TB internal mechanical hard disk drive with a 1TB internal SSD drive. That has totally transformed the iMac and given it a whole new lease of life..... Except that I can't upgrade it past "High Sierra" as the new versions of the operating system don't have support for the old graphics cards.

After two years, the 1TB internal SSD is just over half full and so it looks like the old prof's rule is working well.

So....... Take as much space as you think you will need and multiply by three. Actually, he used the same rule for extimating how long a software development task would take (for project management purposes), but that is another story.
Sadly MacBooks from a few years ago have their SSD soldered in. Silly of them as the SSD now are so much cheaper and I need to change a whole new MacBook just because I needed a bigger drive.

All my garbage so far.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks again. I need to understand the Clonezilla programme. It says it needs certain parameters to work.

" and it is used to deploy many computers simultaneously. It is an extremely useful tool, however, it does have several limitations. In order to use it, you must first prepare a DRBL server AND the machine to be deployed must boot from a network (e.g. PXE/iPXE).", which I don't understand at the moment.

I do have another cloning programme which I have used to copy, but it does have clone function....AOMEI...

So am unsure what is needed to make the W10 system work, and above all, the software as in LR and PS and many others which I have paid for. So hoping their keys etc come over with the clone.....

I will look through the You-tube videos with eager interest...….

I have changes HD's before, and have the leads to run the internals outside of the pooter. my only real cock-up was when taking out an HD the connections were brittle, and became U/S. So the that laptop.:-((

My Sailing Page

My Flickr